Today was the first time I wished I had a bigger bike - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 09-01-2015, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Today was the first time I wished I had a bigger bike

Just minding my own business on the highway. Doing about 72 mph in the right-hand lane.
I'm coming up on a Civic a few dozen yards ahead of me, and it's probably doing about 68 mph.
I get a little closer, throw on my left signal, do a shoulder check and dip into the other lane.
I'm slowly overtaking this Honda Civic, just about up to the driver-side window, when I see him start to cross the center line.
My heart skips a beat as I fumble for a second and then brake moderately hard and lay on the horn as the driver cuts in.
He gives me the SMIDSY one-hand wave in the rear-view mirror while I was still catching my breath.
After 3,500+ miles on my CBR, that was the first time I wished I was riding a 600 or a liter bike. A little harder twist on the throttle and I'm out of there.
My 250 is out of breath at such speeds.

I fumbled because I tried to decide between accelerating, honking and breaking.
1.) Accelerate - I would have no chance of speeding up enough before he switched lanes. I might've been lucky enough to be seen by the driver, but probably not. Result: Dead.
2.) Honk - No guarantee he wouldn't continue to my lane. Result: Dead.
3.) Break - It worked, but it was still way too close of a call. Result: Still breathing.

Anyone had any similar experiences riding a 250?
I love my bike, but I think it would be nice to have some extra power available.
I may be in the market again soon...

2012 CBR250R

Previous:
1983 Yamaha XS400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 09-01-2015, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Also, I'm a bit of a bigger guy, who takes passengers on occasion.
I think it would be nice to have something physically bigger and more powerful for these reasons as well.
Hm, I might just be looking at some CBR600's or something next week. Any thoughts?

2012 CBR250R

Previous:
1983 Yamaha XS400
post #3 of 60 Old 09-01-2015, 02:17 AM

At that kind of speed, acceleration would not be instantaneous for any cc bike, so 600cc or larger cc bike would not have made any difference. From the moment you see someone crossing into your lane to when the vehicle hits you happens in matter of a second. From around 70 mph it takes quite a bit of time to accelerate for any cc bikes. The best course of action, and the fastest, would have been to swerve away or to slow down.

However, if you need a motive to get a larger cc bike, just go for it. You don't have to ride a 250cc bike.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoR For This Useful Post:
CBR250R (09-01-2015)

post #4 of 60 Old 09-01-2015, 03:30 AM

I've had two encounters similar to this in the last 5 days, albeit at slower speeds. The first time I was in second gear and managed to swerve and gas it to safety. Didn't give it a second thought. This morning, however, I was in 5th gear and had no option but to perform an e-brake to avoid a collision. Perhaps I could have accelerated if I was in 3rd or on a different bike. But, the fact that it was a non incident proves that i made the right decision in those circumstances. If you want a bigger bike, get one. I would be all over a 600 if it wasn't highway robbery for insurance at my age.
CBR250R likes this.
post #5 of 60 Old 09-01-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoR View Post
At that kind of speed, acceleration would not be instantaneous for any cc bike, so 600cc or larger cc bike would not have made any difference.
Thailand is no where near the same as the U.S. But when i hit the sad excuse for a highway here (interstae) my 600 is always in 3rd gear for the exact reason stated before by rdxj . And it will go like the wind.

I use AlOT of fuel. But when you have idiots 50/50 over one lane out of 3. It pays to anticipate the idiocy. On the Cbee i hang back and just go with the flow.

Take care & ride safe.

2012 Honda CBR 250RAb, Sold.
2013 CBR 600RR, Sold.
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650R, Road. (wife's)
2015 Kawasaki Z300, Road. (wife's)
2014 BMW S1000RR HP4, Road / Flying Machine. (Traded in the wife for it)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 60 Old 09-01-2015, 05:25 AM

Imho:

Whichever bike you chose, whatever option, gas or brake, you go for, there are 3 thinks to take into account, anyway:

1. having or getting a car sounding loud horn

2. using it at the first sign of someone only may think about to get into your lane.

3. keeping overtaking manoevers as short, as possible. 'truckraces' are for trucks, a motorcycle is passing or staying behind. But no slowly passing/traveling aside a bigger vehicle. Staying in the blind spot for some time is never good.
melovelo likes this.

Disclaimer:
Can contain irony and/or sarcasm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 60 Old 09-01-2015, 05:34 AM

I prefer a revbomb to the the horn. Of course if you have the stock pipe, as I do, the 250 will sound like a premium lawn mower getting cranky.
Das Chicken likes this.
post #8 of 60 Old 09-01-2015, 06:12 AM

Others have said it in different ways. On a bike you minimize the time you are in danger zones and blind spots. Pass slower cars quickly and faster cars maybe not at all.
CBR250R likes this.
post #9 of 60 Old 09-01-2015, 06:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
At that kind of speed, acceleration would not be instantaneous for any cc bike, so 600cc or larger cc bike would not have made any difference.
I'll have to differ with you there. I've ridden plenty of bigger bikes and whilst it is true that a sports 600 at 70mph in top will be out of it's power band and not likely to feel like it's doing much when you open the throttle there are many other bikes eg big twins, retros, tourers etc that will all be tuned to provide a great deal of shove in that situation. I once had to back off mid overtake on a VFR750 because I got wheelspin on the wet road at 70.

I'm guessing you haven't ridden many bigger bikes. Take up any offers you get and I think you'll be surprised how different the experience is to piloting a CBR250R.
CBR-250-R likes this.
post #10 of 60 Old 09-01-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
This is not true. Some 600cc bikes in top gear are geared quite tall, and would have a problem getting moving, but not all. Any liter bike, and the correct 600 class will have no issue. It is surprising how fast my Daytona is at 70 mph in 6th.
CBR-250-R likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page