Why move up? - Page 5 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 137 Old 07-29-2012, 10:29 AM

Garage
I keep getting crap from people telling me that I'll want to move up soon, and that my "little 250" isn't going to keep me happy. I usually play nice and tell them that it's a great bike for me to improve my skills on and that the MPG are just stupid. Usually though I want to lay into them a bit because most of them don't own a bike and none of them have ever ridden the cbr250. I'm happy with the bike and that's all that matters. Why buy a bike that does 50 in first gear? Shifting is half the fun I think. Anyway, I really only get crap from 15-20% of the people I talk to. The others are just stoked for me to have a bike.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EYVoom For This Useful Post:
anna_rides! (07-29-2012), Torris (07-29-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 137 Old 07-29-2012, 11:02 AM

I don't use all the horses.

I have three bikes now: V-Strom 650, CBR-125R, CBR-250R.

Only once did I try to use all the horses that the 650 provides.
I was riding on a deserted expressway, I-76 in N.E. Colorado.
A sport bike zoomed past while I was loafing along at 65 MPH.
You know the sound ... eeeeeeeeEEEEEEYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I thought, "Well, I will grab myself a handful of FAST and see what that is."
So I watched the needle advance to 116 MPH, and I took a look at
the crotch rocket ahead. It was still diminishing in size,
so I rolled the throttle off and invited the rider to enjoy Denver.
Of course I never saw that bike again, but no matter.

Will the 250 do everything I ask of the 650? **** near.
It may not go 116 MPH (indicated, maybe 100 actual),
but it will surely go fast enough to find or escape trouble,
whichever I have in mind.

For that matter, the 125 will carry me long distances with ease,
and will let me smell the flowers and enjoy the ride a whole lot.

In short, this 250 is a mighty and versatile mount,
and not many of us need anything more powerful,
whether we want it or not.

Keith

The censored word above is spelled with the letters
d and then a and then m and then n. I defy censors always.
The Following User Says Thank You to kfsrq For This Useful Post:
Torris (07-29-2012)
post #43 of 137 Old 07-29-2012, 11:31 AM

Garage
As a '99 Miata (with track package) owner, I enjoyed reading this thread. My biggest bike was my wife's CB350 (actually325 cc) that I used commuting into Atlanta back in the early 70's.

I've always had small bikes (Matchless, Hodaka, Suzuki, Kawi, and Honda) and enjoy riding them to the limit of my capabilities, whether on the street or trail. Also, I'm a cheapskate.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
The Following User Says Thank You to jsonder For This Useful Post:
pete_falcone (07-29-2012)

post #44 of 137 Old 07-29-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Dj View Post
*facepalm*

Plenty of people said similar things to Dudeman, Dj. It is starting to seem like you have some sort of complex. Cool your jets.
post #45 of 137 Old 07-29-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrages View Post
I know this has been beat to death, but want to re-hash it just one more time for the newest of us.

Like just about everyone that buys a 250 I assumed I would want to move up to a 600, 750 or something after a season or two. After riding this amazing machine for a month or so I can't imagine why I would ever move up to a larger displacement bike. I really pushed the bike today (though I still haven't approached the redline in any gear) and I was going 60 mph (5 over the speed limit) in 4th gear. On a more powerful bike I would have been going 100mph or better. I leave every car I've ever encountered in the dust without even pushing her hard.

The only reason I can see for a larger bike would be long distance touring. Stability on the interstate dealing with trucks etc. And I'm not sure even that isn't mainly a myth.

Is there something I'm missing here or is this just classic "bigger has to be better" think?

I think the little CBR will be sticking around.
Large trucks are a just get used to it sort of thing. Practice makes perfect.
post #46 of 137 Old 07-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERrunner View Post
Just have to point this out, since this is the second post in the last few hours that you've tried to use this word. The word you're going for is "razzed." Razed is the past-tense of raze: to destroy, level, demolish, etc.
ok webster.
post #47 of 137 Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 PM

My office manager who owns a big bike told me I'd want something faster within 6 months. This bike has all the power I need for the purposes for which I bought the CBR 250, my first bike. Commuting and riding around town. I wanted to park my car and keep miles off of it, since I cannot afford to replace it. So far its panning out. Its faster than my Honda Element.

An experienced motorcyclist recommended this bike to me, and I am so glad I took his advice. Talked to another new bike owner who had already gone over the handler bars on his 700 cc bike when it bolted on him in first. The only reason I would want a bigger bike would be for touring, but I would probably still prefer this one for around town. Sometimes I wish it had a little more range in first and some storage but that's about my only complaint.
post #48 of 137 Old 07-30-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrate View Post
My office manager who owns a big bike told me I'd want something faster within 6 months. This bike has all the power I need for the purposes for which I bought the CBR 250, my first bike. Commuting and riding around town. I wanted to park my car and keep miles off of it, since I cannot afford to replace it. So far its panning out. Its faster than my Honda Element.

An experienced motorcyclist recommended this bike to me, and I am so glad I took his advice. Talked to another new bike owner who had already gone over the handler bars on his 700 cc bike when it bolted on him in first. The only reason I would want a bigger bike would be for touring, but I would probably still prefer this one for around town. Sometimes I wish it had a little more range in first and some storage but that's about my only complaint.
You can always put a box on the back of it, or a tank bag or similar for storage - in fact I can hardly go without.

Yep, I agree that it certainly is a sweet ride, I am really loving mine and I'm one of those older guys who grew up with much bigger bikes. I do still pine to do some touring, not sure how well I'd hold up on the CBR - I know it's capable but I'd probably like some more wind protection etc for a long haul.

Funny thing is, the bike I had before this was an older PC800, anyone remember those? Had built in storage and decent fairing protection, was nice. But ... honestly this bike is much more comfy in my opinion. I know everyone is different but I like this seat MUCH better.

Of course you don't get that adrenaline rush from cracking the throttle but I'm pretty happy about that - kind of scary for me anymore to ride the big bikes, hit a couple gears and next thing you know you're doing 100, yikes! Sometimes I think they should only sell that much HP to a certain level of experience ... I had quite a few high school buddies mess themselves up pretty well back in the 70's and 80's trying to show off on their new "sportbikes", but I'm rambling
post #49 of 137 Old 07-30-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERrunner View Post
Just have to point this out, since this is the second post in the last few hours that you've tried to use this word. The word you're going for is "razzed." Razed is the past-tense of raze: to destroy, level, demolish, etc.
Don't mess with the DudeBoy, he eats trolls like you for breakfast and picks his teeth with their bones (after he plasti-dips them)...
post #50 of 137 Old 07-30-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrate View Post
Sometimes I wish it had a little more range in first and some storage but that's about my only complaint.
The 1-6 month slot is believed by some SME's as one of the most dangerous times for a new rider. They get confident enough to think they need a bigger bike, but their skills have not yet caught up to their level of confidence. 10,000 miles or two years is the tipping point, though it varies by rider ability.

The CBR can do weekly groceries and go canyon carving at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page