Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

I am not mad, just disappointed.

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  benh972 
#1 ·
My new pilot street radial, 500 miles in. Soap tested and it foams.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
at least its central which is better than into sidewall area..
dont remove the screw/nail until ready to do the repair..
[sounds obvious, but still..

depending on your tyre [steel belt wires can apparently
nip off mushroom plug heads] and intended riding
you should be able to at least ride locally etc
carrying a plug repair kit..

my son [also delivers pizzas] has plugged his
pizza scoot rear tyres without problems
[cheap external kits]..

i took a woodscrew in rear similar to yours
which kept pressure ok in general riding until
tyres replaced [which was intended soon anyway]..
for a new tyre i would have most likely plugged it..
ie, for general suburban riding etc..

very slow leak isnt a problem
so long as you keep an eye on it
with regular airpressure checks/topups..

#7 ·
That's a bummer.

I have experience with plugging a rear tire on my CBR, and didn't have any issues for the life of the tire.

I've had the plugging done at a local motorcycle shop. Why don't you try that route?

I've personally tried plugging a tire myself with a kit I bought locally at a auto shop for my car. Didn't work out too well, and didn't stop the leak. The best bet is to have the procedure done at a professional shop.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone, next chance I get I will take it in and see if the tire can be saved. It's just my luck that when this happend, my dealer who was 5 miles down the road closed for a week. They have moved about 30 miles away, but the new place looks really nice. I was really worried because when I was looking into motorcycle tire repair, people seemed to be against it. That screw is right there in a meaty chunk of the middle, I really was hoping it didn't reach the air, but soap bubbles don't lie. The leak is slow, I aired it up gave it about 24 hours and it had lost maybe 1 psi, checked again just now and its about 3 or 4 pounds low. I plan to air it up and limp her into to a shop about 10 miles from here. Wish me luck.

#11 ·
That's the safest place to pick up a nail, and perfectly safe to plug. I carry a kit with a CO2 inflator in a pouch under the pillion seat now just for that sort of occasion. Saves me tow charges. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.