Purchase Opinions Wanted - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-12-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Purchase Opinions Wanted

2 Bikes, both 2012 Red/White/Blue. Anyone looking for a used CBR could run into this.

Bike 1: Has ABS which is something I really want, but it has 16K miles. About 4K miles ago the owner put Michelin Pilot Street Radials on. Also RK X-ring chain and new sprockets installed at the same time (whatever RK X-ring is?). Had the 600 mile dealer service and it's documented, all other services were done by him, so no docs. His ad says, "All services completed, ready to go. New NGK spark plug, fresh synthetic oil. Inspected this May. Includes a model-specific Givi luggage rack to add a topcase or other bags." He did interstate this bike to California and back to the east coast, so that's about 8K miles of interstate. Got a good vibe from the seller on the phone. Very responsive to questions, has both keys, user manual and service records for what he had someone else do.

Bike 2: Cost is about $300 more, though I might be able to negotiate that away. I has sat since new but only has 54 miles on it. Typical "bought for the girlfriend" story would probably be shared if I me the seller as he says he is selling it for her. The bike is also only 20 minutes away instead of five hours! I would put tires on it so that drives the price up, but I wonder how well the rest of the bike did. Stored in shed, but not climate controlled like a dealership. The only up side is I know the engine would be solid.

Both bikes look new in pictures, bike 1 has the ABS I want and I guess what I'm wondering is if I should be put off by the miles. I'm thinking no, but didn't want to be posting later and have some knowledgable member here say, "I wish you'd have posted before buying that bike!"

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-12-2016, 04:10 PM

I would not be concerned about the high mileage. Sounds like it's been well taken care of. Sounds like the low-mileage bike has not been taken care of at all, just bought & sat.

On the low mileage bike - I wouldn't even want to start it with that oil in there. And there's a chance some of the oil could have changed state (sludge, something else?). I would look in the oil filler with a flash light, and turn the engine over manually (6th gear should give you a lot of leverage to spin the back tire) and see what comes up. I don't recall for sure but I think you can see part of the engine internals through the oil filler.

Sounds like the first bike is the safer option. Maybe they can meet you half way.

On the other hand you could end up with a really nice low mileage bike.

I am selling my CBR, I'm curious what the prices are and where you are located? I've priced mine at $2700 and in less than a week I've had a couple people interested but no takers. Mine is a Red 2011, 3k miles, no abs.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-12-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

I think bikes go for more $$$$ here on Long Island. The guy is asking $3000, the ad has been up for 2 1/2 weeks. I texted him and he believes he has the bike sold as of today for his price. He did list it as "firm". That's without ABS. Last week there was a dealer about an hour north of New York City (still an expensive area) that had an ABS version with 2K miles listed at $3200, now listed as sold. Over the winter I was going back and forth with a guy in North Carolina. His bike had around 6K if I recall correctly and we settled on a price of $2700. Winter isn't really winter down there, but it seemed like the bike wasn't moving. I think that was a fair deal. The bike I'm getting (I've committed and rented the trailer) was listed on CL for $2900 and the owner said he'd take $2700. I think that's a fair price too since the tires should have a lot of life in them as well as the chain and sprocket since all of that was replaced, along with a recent plug and oil change. Not crazy about the mileage considering what's out there, but an 8K bike with original tires, chain and sprocket is going to require immediate (in my opinion) attention and cost about the same.

I've been looking at these bikes since 2011 and following resale on Craigslist since then. My feeling is that although people on this forum talk about the $2200 mint bike, I'm not seeing that up here in the North East. My guess is that when I see a bike like yours listed for $2700 and figure $2500 would be the deal, that it is fair. That said, I always ask more since you can always lower the price, but never increase it. I hope this other bike (bike 2, without ABS) does sell for the $3000 because at some point I may want to sell the one I picked up and it would be nice to not lose any money. I'm pretty sure that an ABS model could sell for $2700 here in New York so as long as I maintain it, I shouldn't lose money. My real hope is that I love riding as much as I think I might and I wear the little CBR out. I'm not about speed or commuting on our crazy roads so this bike could be it. I've always wanted the red/white/blue (and a Repsol, but no ABS), I think it's a nice looking bike.

Thanks for your opinion and good luck with the sale. What are you replacing the CBR with?

post #4 of 16 Old 07-12-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
....My feeling is that although people on this forum talk about the $2200 mint bike, I'm not seeing that up here in the North East.
Thanks for your opinion and good luck with the sale. What are you replacing the CBR with?
Yea a $2200 mint CBR is the exception, the norm. That's way too low for what you get on this bike.

My CBR250 has always been a 2nd bike for me, something small and fun vs my "larger" (mid-weight) touring bikes. My NC700x was recently totaled and I replaced it with a 2015 Versys 650 LT. I'm going to focus on that bike and sell the CBR. My NC700x had about $2400 in accessories on it, I tend to customize them a lot. My CBR is stock though.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-12-2016, 05:46 PM

I would take the ridden/loved moto personally.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-12-2016, 05:59 PM

I bought one of only 2 CBR250Rs my dealer ordered the year they were first released. Neither had ABS. I kinda sorta wanted ABS, but never having owned a bike with it in the past I wasn't going to wait another 6 months until he finally got the ABS model. ABS is an awesome thing for a new rider, I'm sure, but less so for an experienced rider. In the 5+ years I've been riding it I've never found myself in a situation where ABS would be activated, but then I've always been a pretty conservative rider.
I'd go with the low-mileage non-ABS one myself, but that's just me.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-12-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Just heard back from the low mileage, non ABS bike owner and it sold. He got his price too.

I was a bit tempted because it was so close to home, but I decided when these bikes came out that as a brand new rider it would be irresponsible to myself to not get the ABS. So it's the higher mileage bike with ABS that I'll pick up on Saturday. TrueFaith, I'm thinking that I have a lot of parking lot practice and empty roads practice ahead of me for this season and for that reason I think I probably won't need the ABS. When I do head out onto major roads I won't have to sell this bike and look for the ABS version. I just want to stack the odds in my favor as much as possible. Like you TrueFaith, I know I will be a conservative rider. I got all the speed and crazy driving out of my system when I was in my late 20's... MR2 Turbo, brand new, total babe magnet. Now at 50 I drive it like... uhhhm... an adult.

Though everyone has seen a 2012 Tri Color, I'll post some pics when she arrives:-)
post #8 of 16 Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 PM

You're much better off with ABS as a new rider. I only say no ABS wasn't a deal breaker for me because the CBR was my 4th bike and on the other 3, ABS for motorcycles hadn't been invented or applied yet. So I pretty much had a few panic stops behind me on non-ABS bikes and knew what to expect and how to execute them.
For a new rider though, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't avail yourself of the new technology and give yourself every edge you can.
Especially now that "learning the hard way" isn't the only option.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
I would not be concerned about the 16,000 miles on the bike you've decided to buy... that really isn't that many miles, particularly on a bike that is now 4 model years old. While some may think that anything more than a few thousand miles on a used CBR250R's is too many, at the end of the day a motorcycle is meant to be ridden. I bought my 2012 Tri-Color new in April of that year and now have just over 15,000 miles on the odometer. Today it runs and performs just as well as it did the day I picked it up from the dealer. Plenty of other owners have racked up far more miles on their 250R's than I have on mine, and have done so without issues... whereas I've noticed that some who have experienced various problems & issues haven't necessarily put many miles on their bikes.

And as you said, it sounds like that particular bike has been well maintained by the owner. That it also has relatively new tires and chain & sprocket set is another positive.

For myself, I'll take a clean, well maintained bike with reasonable miles on the clock for its age any day over the same model that has very few miles along with an unknown or questionable maintenance record. Really, I have to wonder who buys a motorcycle and hangs on to it for several years without ever riding it?

A comment on the fair market used value of these bikes: A couple years ago they were going for fairly low prices... $2000 to $2500 depending on condition and ABS vs non-ABS, but I think those sort of prices were perhaps a bit artificially low at the time, largely due to the fact that Honda dealers were sitting on significant numbers of new non-current 250r's, which also had big discounts to make them more attractive to potential buyers, and when at the same time the "new" CBR300R was showing up in dealerships. Today, I have to assume that there are few (if any) brand new CBR250R/RA's still in dealer inventories. Which should mean that prices/values on clean used units should be closer to a more realistic level, as it is now less of a 'buyer's' market due to excessive inventories.
Stichill likes this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #10 of 16 Old 07-13-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveNutZ View Post
I would take the ridden/loved moto personally.
Thanks for the encouragement guys. If the bike looks as good in person as it does in the pictures, by this time next week it will be in my garage. Then on to gear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page