2000 dollars, only 3 options. - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

2000 dollars, only 3 options.

So my car recently broke and I ended up with no transportation, public bus is not for me. With my current job I can't afford to buy a car. Not having a car for few month I was able to collect 2000+ dollars.

So I've been looking into buying a motorcycle, since I'm noob and know nothing about motorcycle I did some research, spend endless hours on youtube and internet... researching about motorcycle and options that I have. At first I though I set my mind to buy CBR250R... But then it all changed...

Then I saw the dual sport or dual purpose CRF250l, engine based on CBR250R, after that I found out that Kawasaki came up with fuel injected Ninja(250) and I was like "omg... I don't know what do I really want to buy now"
So here is my options:

1. CBR250R
2. CRF250l
3. 2013 F.I. Ninja

now.... I'm really tired of asking my brother to give me a ride to work everyday, I was think to buy CRF for now but then again f.i. Ninja... really? It's a beast compare to cbr and crf. The problem is nobody knows the release date of ninja in US!

Would you guys(girls) share your opinions with me? Which bike would you buy and why? Would you wait for f.i. ninja?

Sent from my all seeing eyePhone...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++
EDIT: ill be using 2000 dollars as down payment lol as for safety concern im not one of those guys who is trying to show off, i mainly want to buy motorcycle for transportation/commuting.

Last edited by Noob Saibot; 08-27-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM

Any of those are fine options. You'll need a reality check if you think you could get any of them for $2000. Even used will be tough to find in that price range for those particular bikes. Old Ninja 250 (meaning non FI) is more likely scenario

Despite this, if this is the first time you'll be operating a bike, you will need a whole lot of practice before even thinking about taking it on the streets... that is... unless you're interested in becoming a statistic.

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to BoiledEgg For This Useful Post:
Noob Saibot (08-27-2012)
post #3 of 37 Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 PM

I wouldn't be so sure that the new Ninja will be fuel injected in the US; most resources I've seen say "Fuel Injection available in some markets". That's been true for a while, and the US is not one of them. I guess we'll find out. As far as price tag goes, $2k will go a long way towards down payment/gear but won't get you a bike outright. Another cost consideration is the fuel economy of the CBR. It's easy to get 70mpg while having fun and 80+ if you are working towards it.

2011 CBR 250R Red/Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matao87 For This Useful Post:
Noob Saibot (08-27-2012)

post #4 of 37 Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 PM

I would go with the cbr250r, unless you are into dual purpose bikes then maybe you wanna go with the crf250l. I own a '12 cbr250r red/silver its a great all around bike. Just turned 2200miles and I have not had the first problem. Good luck with your quest to find the perfect bike for you!

2012 cbr250r 2006 katana750
post #5 of 37 Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 PM

Realistically you need about a 1300 dollar bike. 1300+tax&tag is gonna put you close to 1400, then 350 on gear will get you up to 1750. Another 20-30 for you license then if you have a good driving record you can pick up insurance for about 75 a year (maybe cheaper depending on year and where you live). So we're already up to 1900. That's about 100-150 bucks of wiggle room for your bike price or gear price. Unless you have a crap driving record or have to take a loan out for the bike and get full coverage.

For 2k with winter coming up, unless you live in a warm climate, a early 90's civic is the best bet IMO. A bike is a leisure item, a car really isn't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidg For This Useful Post:
jsonder (08-29-2012), Noob Saibot (08-27-2012)
post #6 of 37 Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
Realistically you need about a 1300 dollar bike. 1300+tax&tag is gonna put you close to 1400, then 350 on gear will get you up to 1750. Another 20-30 for you license then if you have a good driving record you can pick up insurance for about 75 a year (maybe cheaper depending on year and where you live). So we're already up to 1900. That's about 100-150 bucks of wiggle room for your bike price or gear price. Unless you have a crap driving record or have to take a loan out for the bike and get full coverage.

For 2k with winter coming up, unless you live in a warm climate, a early 90's civic is the best bet IMO. A bike is a leisure item, a car really isn't.
ummm where to begin? iwas thining to buy a scooter but then im 22years old and i think ill look silly on the scooter haha

4 years of driving, zero tickets.. i think it is considered as a good driving record

i live in sacramento CA, its always hot here

THANKS for the estimate :P

i went to the dealer and he said the price with the papers is 5k, then he told me if ill give 1000 dollars down payment they can tow the bike to my place today!
The Following User Says Thank You to Noob Saibot For This Useful Post:
Prometheus199 (08-28-2012)
post #7 of 37 Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fOOt6 View Post
I would go with the cbr250r, unless you are into dual purpose bikes then maybe you wanna go with the crf250l. I own a '12 cbr250r red/silver its a great all around bike. Just turned 2200miles and I have not had the first problem. Good luck with your quest to find the perfect bike for you!
thanks for the advice, i was thinking CBR250R is great for mileage and all the that, but when it comes to the fun?(not as in racing and killing myself) i could ride CBR only in the city, my friends go to the sand dunes once in a while thats where CRF can come in handy!
post #8 of 37 Old 08-27-2012, 10:21 PM

Garage
Do you have your motorbike endorsement?

TheAOP
USAF Veteran
Red Sox Nation
2011 CBR250R
2009 Mazda3i
2005 Honda Civic LX
1993 Saturn SW2

It makes me sick that it's hard to distinguish,
An honest leader who preaches a cause,
That's not made and not based,
On the profit they'll receive from telling the world.

What line divides you from the seeders,
Who sow without growing believers,
You point and you judge,
Forgetting that their faith is molded by your lead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #9 of 37 Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Saibot View Post
i went to the dealer and he said the price with the papers is 5k, then he told me if ill give 1000 dollars down payment they can tow the bike to my place today!
I hope that was 5k for the ABS model. If it isn't, shop around. You shouldn't have to pay that much for one of these. My bike, before tax, was about 4.3k. I thought that even that was a bit high ($200 over msrp). Don't let them strong arm you and tell you that they can't drop the price... they can always drop the price. msrp factors in shipping, assembly costs, overhead, and still leaves the dealer with some profit. Good luck, and a cbr250 would be an excellent choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to EYVoom For This Useful Post:
Noob Saibot (08-27-2012)
post #10 of 37 Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Saibot View Post
iwas thining to buy a scooter but then im 22years old and i think ill look silly on the scooter haha
Scooters are a great way to start riding on two wheels. I've owned two of them, 600cc and 250cc, and still have one. After looking at the CRF230L for a couple of years but never buying, the new CRF250L is tempting as well. That would be on the short list for my next ride. Enjoy your search; there are a lot of interesting choices out there.

2012 Honda CBR250R (7/2012 to 10/2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page