Yet another post about friends hassling me to get a "big boy bike" - Page 5 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 Old 06-23-2017, 04:06 PM

I guess I'm lucky that most riders appreciate my CB300F. I was at Youtuber Snowcat's meetup in North Vancouver a few months ago on a rental CB300F (don't pick up my own CB300F for another few weeks), getting off right as a Superduke was parking behind me. I heard a group of guys say nice bike and I assumed they were talking about the Superduke. Then they came up to me and started talking to me, I was pleasantly surprised and made some new friends off the bat who were riding CBR 300R, 500R, 600RR, and 1000RRs themselves.

The only people who tell me I need a bigger bike are people who don't own one themselves. The only opinion I care about is my wife's who says I would probably look better on a bigger bike lol so at least I have that buy in should I choose to upgrade to a bigger bike. But the only bigger bike I like is the NC700X/NC750X and maybe the VStrom 650. I've never felt comfortable when I demoed bigger nakeds like the SV650, FZ07, XSR900, etc. I like my low displacement and/or adventure format.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 Old 06-23-2017, 10:29 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
jackpot!
in the 'wife lottery'...
sactoCBR and dkazzed like this.
post #43 of 49 Old 06-24-2017, 12:47 PM

Garage
You can also look at the Versys 650. It's beautiful. I want one but I'm broke and I love my CBR250R. So well looked after I might never let her go.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

My Fuel Economy by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #44 of 49 Old 08-15-2017, 12:47 PM

Garage
I got my CBR250R brand new 4 years ago. I'm still the only one in my cohort of friends that are still riding the bike they started with around the time we all got our licenses. I've commuted with it and tracked it at least once a year since. 25,000 miles, 3 sets of tires, 2 chains, 2 exhaust systems, and 1 major Hondacare-covered mechanical issue later, my bike is still going strong and I see no point in ever trading "up" for the street when the only place they truly lose me is on a fairly straight road. You can hang off in the corners with the best of them on this bike. In fact, just the opposite has started to occur among my group. Within the last year, 3 R3's and 2 Ninja 300's have joined me on the streets. I feel somewhat vindicated. Yes, this all depends on the roads where you live but sometimes less is more. Owning a 600 supersport is great and all but for the street and only the street is ultimately pointless.
post #45 of 49 Old 08-16-2017, 09:11 AM

Excellent post, ren0vat0r. Should be pretty much the last word on this subject!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stichill For This Useful Post:
ren0vat0r (09-09-2017)
post #46 of 49 Old 08-16-2017, 03:32 PM

Great action picture, bike looks really good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladywillfly For This Useful Post:
ren0vat0r (09-09-2017)
post #47 of 49 Old 08-26-2017, 11:25 PM

Lots of great comments.
I have ridden all sizes of motos for over 50 years. I also ride my 250 with friends who own larger motos ( most liter+ ). I have no problem keeping up; my friends are mature, responsible riders and if they weren't I wouldn't ride with them. Public streets are not racetracks. To ride at excessive speed on public roads is illegal, irresponsible and immoral. Within these limitations, the 250 performs adequately but excels in efficiency and economy.
I understand the attraction of larger motos; the acceleration, high speeds and powerful brakes. It entices one to exercise these capabilities but to do so crosses the lines of safety and legality on public roads. If one wants to ride fast , take it to the track. I would personally feel somewhat frustrated and foolish if I owned one of these superbikes . My goals as a rider are to ride as safely and as smoothly as possible; to eliminate crashes and collisions and close calls and to get great fuel economy and still have fun. @steelo, you are correct in your feelings, don't let peer pressure push you into anything you don't want to do.
shisoshin likes this.

Hypermiling to a better tomorrow
post #48 of 49 Old 08-27-2017, 07:04 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
great advice..
for me starting with cb72 250 twin and riding
'everywhere' on this great little machine
[8" twin leading shoe front brake]
ended up trading her in on a cb450 twin
based on weekend inter-city runs and overtakes
[country highway],, then a few years later
same runs they then had b-double semi trailers
where a couple of close overtakes had me in to
honda again for trade in on cb750sohc 4..

she handled the b-doubles in her stride..
[yet even so,, todays cbr's would kill them]..

thats my point, honda makes models for all work
and play.. you pay one way or the other for
that extra power and weight, on the stock bike
designed for the 'average' rider..

now with cbr250r [stolen] then 300r
im a very happy vegemite...
post #49 of 49 Old 07-25-2019, 02:55 PM

I’ll say 2 things... one, any friends who don’t accept you as a fellow rider and understand that you’re going to ride what you like and not force you to be reckless aren’t very good friends to ride with.
Two, I ride with 2 buddies, one on a 600RR and one on a ZX-10R. They know I can’t keep up in a straight. It’s cool. But they also know when they get in the twisties they can’t keep up with me. Ride to the bikes strengths and just enjoy it. If they’re so worried about people keeping up they should try a track day and see how little they know and just how much they rely on horsepower to compensate for their ridding skill.

True story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page