New rider scared to rev high... - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 04-20-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldassembly View Post
I'm a new rider - got my first bike, 2012 tri-color CBR250R last week, and I've been riding it everywhere I can. I am also scared to rev the engine above 6,000 RPM, because it gets so loud, and sounds like the engine might explode! I know that it's just the nature of a high-revving engine - what I can liken the sound to is when I first drove a Honda Civic Si; I was scared it too might blow up...

I know it's ok to take the engine all the way up into its power band, but I suppose I need some reassurance from you guys that it's fine. The bike is mechanically sound, with zero issues, and around 8,200 miles. I'm not looking to go fast right now as I'm still learning - but I feel like I'm short-shifting each time I ride. I'd appreciate your input and advice!
You will eventually get used to it. Even I bought mine last November. Took me almost a month to get settled.
Remember, Do not pamper your engine by shifting early.
High revs are way better than lugging the engine.
Check out my channel on YouTube: Piston Head to see how I'm treating my babe from day one.
Completed 6.4k kms till now. Done 2 big rides. One was 2000kms in 3 days and 750 kms in 2 days.
Ride safe and Always ride within YOUR limits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldassembly View Post
Thanks for all of the input. It's not an issue of being too loud and damaging my hearing (although earplugs are a good idea!) but I feel "bad" revving it above like 6,000 RPM because it's just loud and engaging, but I'm getting used to it.

I went on a fun ride this afternoon after work, and noticed myself getting used to the engine sound the more I ride. I thought about this post and kept telling myself out loud to "wring its little neck"!
That's the part that most of us like best!

They sound better when you are accelerating and shifting constantly, rather than holding the RPMs steady in that range.

Be sure to check your oil level regularly. Some engines will pump some oil from the cranckcase breather into the airbox when run in the higher range. Not usually a problem as long as you keep an eye on the oil level. As I said before, the CBR doesn't hold much oil, so the oil needs be be high quality and kept at the proper level.
post #13 of 30 Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
[longish response for novice, experienced just scroll on bye if as you say its in your mind then distraction via removal of sound ie, earplugs, could be one option as a sort of mind bandaid.. so long as you direct your intellect to an idea such as 'a-ha, this loud noise is a worry, lets turn it down'.. but to get at the root of this fear/concern best to take mind thru a walk in the park of your engine and how it works, plus what it 'likes' and what is 'normal' for it,, as members have advised.. [ie, not just listening/reading about it, but the deliberate act of ingesting this understanding,, as if you were helping someone worried about something you know is not a worry] your/our engines do and will make noises.. mine is making a sort of 'fluttering' sound probably the 'rattle' some speak of, and when she goes in for her first service shortly i will ask the young tech to take her for a ride to check it out.. probably camchain, but still.. i wasnt aware of it until i removed cheek pads from helmet to allow on/off avoiding contact with ear/nose recent surgeries.. and it didnt happen at idle/low revs.. noticing this, is good.. being aware of your engines feedback is a good thing, which might forestall a real disfunction etc, should that happen.. in martial arts for eg, you want to be prepared and aware, but not jumping at every shadow or noise,, thus teaching yourself to be nervous and brain to direct its attention to every shadow and little noise.. brain training.. train your brain to listen and hear then to respond appropriately to whatever you hear... if you had those members here who have reassured you about use of revs etc [as normal etc] with you and hearing your engine, they would be telling you and brain the same things.. its ok to talk to yourself [within reason] and good to tell brain whats what.. 'its ok,, its only the breeze',, thus developing a natural pleasure in simply feeling the nice breeze,, or your engine working.. throttle control is if not 'everything' then a good part of it, and should be smooth,, gentle,, flowing, regardless of how fast or slow you move it.. hand is one of brains best friends in human beings, and responsible for using throttle and clutch on your motorcycle.. we dont want hands to be scared of causing alarm by normal throttle use.. practice, as members advise here, such as using throttle somewhere safe is practicing the skills and also brain training
DickyDck, dilop and fieldassembly like this.

post #14 of 30 Old 04-23-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shisoshin View Post
[longish response for novice, experienced just scroll on bye
Ahhhhh!! I got a response from shisoshin, I feel honored! I enjoy reading your poetic-formatted posts - even if my internal monologue tries to find some sort of poetic meter in which to read it. Although your post to this thread is more of a block style paragraph.

You're totally right - it's much easier to figure out a problem when you can break it into discrete parts, or symptoms, or whatever. Like you said, the "fluttering" or "rattle" sound isn't some esoteric random engine noise conceived out of nothingness, but is a piece of the engine interacting with another part in ways which operate outside of the design. That's great advice to listen and be in tune with your bike, so there's greater awareness when something isn't going right. The same can be said for life, really.
post #15 of 30 Old 04-23-2017, 06:51 PM

well i just sit and type direct, according to the post or question raised,, no attempt to mimic bhagavad gita 9 or 11 syllable per line or any other constuction.. as to block presentation that post, seems i cant use 'quick reply' which reproduces my individual units of the idea etc, so using 'reply' alternative, which clumps them all together.. different way of reading and different experience of ideas expressed.. [there was a line break after 'construction' above, which has probably been removed, joining 'construction' with 'as to block presentation'] say someone starts talking and just keeps going, as if something is urgent or somehow important enough to be blurted out in one go,, your attention will drift away as mind typically responds to ideas - with additions or differences of view etc - which go together to form - communications.. someone speaking rapid fire no breaks style is probably trying to sell you something, including 'hiding' an idea within the herd of supporting ideas [etc].. thus my preference for giving ideas or concept components their own space.. if you find that presentation poetic then there must be a poet in there.. i think in segments, as well.. so type it out that way.. [this is also a test given the subject is alive thru members feedback as to their difficulties with the site, as in jsonders goodbye thread, so this was typed in 8 units separated by a line break.. lets see if its been made into a block of text by 'reply' box] life is also an experiment
kiwi rider and fieldassembly like this.
post #16 of 30 Old 06-07-2017, 03:42 PM

I feel kind of nervous maintaining revs 9,000-10,000 it just feels so terrible for the bike, but riding on Dutch/German freeways at 130-140km/h requires it. My bike is at 9,000km and maintained well.

If i ride sustained periods at these RPMs (almost redline) would damage be done? By sustained, I mean 100+km without stopping.

2012 Cbr250RA
post #17 of 30 Old 06-08-2017, 10:42 AM

Garage
It is a water-cooled bike. As long as you stay 500 rpm below redline, everything should be fine.

However, high speed riding with small engined bikes often leads to sucking a bit of oil into the intake box. Keep a eye on your oil level and check the air filter for oil accumulation.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #18 of 30 Old 06-08-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrider111 View Post
I feel kind of nervous maintaining revs 9,000-10,000 it just feels so terrible for the bike, but riding on Dutch/German freeways at 130-140km/h requires it. My bike is at 9,000km and maintained well.

If i ride sustained periods at these RPMs (almost redline) would damage be done? By sustained, I mean 100+km without stopping.
Are you sure you're using all 6 gears? Or did you change the sprocket size? Because at 130km/h my bike runs at 7.800 rpm in 6th.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 30 Old 06-08-2017, 11:59 PM

around 8.5 - 9.5 is maximum hp range [depending on dyno and particular bike'] so around 9 is designed max hp range.. generally, 1000rpm is lost at gear change, so for performance you might go to redline going for acceleration so as to drop back into max hp range [max torque about 6 - 8].. for sustained speed in top probably about 8 - 8.5 given the necessity to ride in that speed range.. you want to run around average traffic flow speeds, too slow being a hazard near distracted micro-sleeping drivers, but its up to you where/how you ride..
i like to find a 'sweet spot' for individual motorcycles then ride around that rpm.. here [nsw aust] max speed on highways is 110kph [about 70mph] so thats well within most bikes comfort zone.. of course many drivers exceed limits,, so on long runs my habit was to find a driver with good habits going about my speed preference, then sit behind him back a bit,, then after a while overtake and take turns leading.. esp at night its good to have a break behind.. good drivers recognise this, while prawns assume your dropping a challenge by overtaking.. another handy idiot recognition response..
varying speeds even slightly gives feedback to brain which automatically notices such things thus stays alert,
whereas sitting on one speed can be hypnotic and sleep inducing for tired drivers [even riders]..
elegantly simple hint is to leave early10 minutes or more, giving yourself extra time for slowing to a stop and break to stretch, take a leak, have a drink etc..
post #20 of 30 Old 06-09-2017, 12:48 PM

Mine vibrates like crazy near redline and I can really feel it at slower speeds. From what I understand this is pretty normal for a single cylinder design. I like it to keep it around 7/8k myself most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page