Replacing front brake pad advice - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By cbrlocal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Replacing front brake pad advice

My next big project on my bike is replacing my front brake pads. I have never done this before yet enjoy working on my bike and learning these things. Hmm, I wonder if I'm the first person writing a post about this...jk. Would you guys point me in the right direction as far a resources where to learn to do this and parts and tools needed. How hard it this?

Thanks for any replies.

And to the person who wants to post that I should use the Search button. I will thank you in advance, great idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2017, 03:07 PM

Garage
Its really super simple! The tools you will need is a Large Flathead Screwdriver, Metric Allen Key set, Metric Socket Kit, and Locktite (blue should be fine). The ABS caliper is slightly different than the Non-ABS one. For the ABS on there is a small hex head (8mm possibly) at the bottom of the caliper. This is a pin that goes through the bottom of the pads. Its gonna be torqued on and locktited so it should be pretty hard to get off. but just loosen the bolt so it easy to remove after you take the caliper off. The non-ABS version has a flat head cap screw over the retaining pin so that needs to be removed first. Underneath youll find a hexed recess for an allen key. Atleast for me it was very hard to loosen. The next step is to take the caliper off so now use a socket to remove the two bolts that connect the caliper bracket to the fork leg. Now before removing the pads you want to press the pistons back in. The old pads can be used to protect the caliper and pistons. Take your screw driver and wedge it in between the pads and push the pistons back in as far as you can. If you dont do this it will be impossible get the caliper back on the disk with the new pads. Also if you cant them to go back all the way try removing the cover on the reservoir. Once thats done you can fully remove the retaining pin and take the pads out. Put the new pads in and reinstall the pin with a little locktite on the threads. I had trouble with getting the pin to go through the holes on the new pads so be wary of that. I believe it was just because of the casting being slighty off. Slip the the caliper over the rotor and put in the mounting bolts back in but DO NOT TIGHTEN THEM, leave them slightly loose so the caliper can move a bit and remember to put on some locktite! Now pump the brake lever till the pads are touching the rotor and you have pressure in the lever. While hold pressure on the lever, tighten the mounting bolts. This will help center and align the caliper properly. It will also help reduce any scrubbing from the pads while you are not braking. Now thats everything is on, go through and tighten everything fully. I dont know the torque specs, I just go by feel. You could probably find them if you really want to. The last thing is bed in the pads to the rotor. For the first few times you brake it wont stop you very well. Go to a local parking lot or empty back road and like 10 hard brakings, youll feel the pads start to grab better after a few times. After that you should be all good!

Is a pretty good video and it also shows cleaning the pistons which I did forget to mention.

2012 CBR250R Black
Mods:
Racetech springs and emulators, Yamaha R6 shock, Yoshi Rearset Risers, Babyface GP Shift adapter, EBC HH Sintered Front and Rear Brake Pads, CBR600RR pegs, Mirror delete with CBR600RR block offs, Ebay Bar-end mirror, Red LED dash, The2Wheels levers, Homemade Fender Eliminator, LED Blinkers, Tank pads and grips, CBR300R seat, Spider Peak red Grips, Vortex Clip ons, DFC, Delkevic 14' Slip on, Spiegler Braided Front Brake Line,Black Rims
Soon to be mods:
Big Bore?

Last edited by CBR Blaize; 04-23-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the above info.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:48 PM

I would recommend seeing if Vesrah has RJL pads available for the CBR if you haven't purchased any yet.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:35 AM

Do you have a copy of the workshop manual? It pretty much tells you what you have to do step by step.

I replaced mine last year. All I remember from the experience was that it was quick and extremely easy.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the replies. No, I don't have the service manual. Where can I get one? Ebay?

Quick and extremely easy. Thanks for the boost of confidence.

I'm not planning this work for a few weeks and am still educating myself and quantifying tools and materials cost.

Are some pads better than others? I'm going to look into the Vesrah pads.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:00 PM

Sintered (HH) pads give a great bite, but aren't as progressive as semi-metallics and are harsh on rotors. Organics are the quietest but last the least amount of time and produce the most brake dust. EBC makes good pads, but they're pricey (not so much once you realize how long they last). Cheap investment. That being said, I put some knockoff semi-metallic Volar pads on my rear and they've been just fine; no complaints. But I don't ride aggressively or track day at all.

Also:

1. Caliper bolts on this bike do not require locktite, and I would not recommend using it on the caliper mounting or slider bolts. Getting them torqued properly is enough to keep them in place.
2. It is a good practice to clean as much dirt off the caliper pistons as possible before pushing them back into the caliper. Dirt and grime can get pulled into the piston seals causing leaks later.
3. You should be able to easily push on the old pads to bottom the caliper pistons out. The best practice for this is to actually crack open the bleeder valve when doing this to push all old fluid and sludge that may be in the caliper out instead of back up into the master cylinder, and to also make it easier to push the piston back in.
jkv357 likes this.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Last edited by cbrlocal; 05-02-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippplePPP View Post
Thanks again for the replies. No, I don't have the service manual. Where can I get one?
$65

Worth every penny

2011-2013 CBR250R/RA SERVICE MANUAL - Helm Incorporated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(no affilliation)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in