Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

The hunt begins

4K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  sendler 
#1 ·
I looked at my first 2 cbr250r 's today. Both were good running motos and it was nice to finally get to ride a cbr250r. It definitely has more low-end torque than previous 250s I've ridden. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I made an offer on the second moto and hopefully we will seal the deal. If not, the hunt continues.....

#7 ·
I picked up my "new " CBR250R this morning! We drove out to Sacramento handed over the $ and filled out the DMV paperwork. Then I rode it the 100 miles or so back to Livermore in the 114* heat. It ran like a top. It's an awesome moto. I'll keep it stock until I can test it then began my modifications.

Attachments

#8 ·
I rode my CBR250R a bit today. A little cold-blooded after I first started it but quickly warmed up and ram smoothly. It feels weird not to have a manual choke and not to have to back it off as the moto warms up. My moto came with a Kerker exhaust and it sure is loud. After I finished my ride I was looking over the moto and found the likely reason for the exhaust being so loud: the muffler was loose from the clamp missing a nut. Also it's missing any bracket or metal strap to secure it. I removed some the body panels to scout for mounting points when I start my streamlining. I found some loose and missing bolts so spent time replacing and securing them after I finished my survey. My upper fairing has a small piece cracked off and the front fender is missing. So my next steps will be to secure the muffler can, patch the upper fairing and possibly make a fully enclosed front fender. Eventually I'll install the Vetter nose, side panels and a tail but I think I'll test some partial streamlining first. I topped off the fuel today so we'll see what see it does for fuel economy.
I still have a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R that I run partially streamlined and non-competition duties but I'm loving the CBR250R so much I'm may consider selling it and getting another CBR250R. We'll see.

#9 ·
A stock CBR250R is never cold blooded. The fuel injection is always perfect. I have ridden my bike at 20F and it starts first crank and runs perfect right from the first second. Your aftermarket exhaust is messsing up the mixture. You might also find that they modified some of the other emission control components. You might better go through the bike with an oil change and to check the air filter, valve clearance, and spark plug. Who knows what care it has had or what they did to it.

#12 ·
I did my first test fuel economy run on my cbr today. I rode with my friend and fellow hypermiler on our ~100 mile test loop between Livermore and Patterson ( CA) . The weather was cool and somewhat windy. We did not ride on the freeways so cruising speeds were 45 to 60 mph. We had some Mexican food for lunch and returned to the starting point gas station and refueled. My results were 1.185 gallons used to travel the 104.7 miles; 88.35 mpg. Alan rode a KLR 650 and got 80mpg. Needless to say we were both pleased. I did make a fully enclosed front fender since my CBR was missing one. MY next mod will be installing taller gearing : 15t on the front and 36T on the rear.

#14 ·
I acquired a 15t front sprocket and a 36t rear. I checked the sparkplug and valve clearance and all is within spec. I installed the front sprocket and found I need to modify the cover for it to fit. I tried to install the rear sprocket but got frustrated by the super tight bolts. So for now I'll just test it with new front sprocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.