Riding through the winter. - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 Old 10-27-2017, 01:42 PM

This is our winter riding -

shisoshin, MotoMike and Keith like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 10-27-2017, 03:20 PM

Long, long time ago I rode in the Atlanta winters. Wouldn't choose to do that anymore for daily commute. We still hit the mountains every October but we quit going in the third week just because the mornings and night get so cold. The second week in Oct makes a big difference. When I rode daily in the winter I wore two or three jackets, two pairs of gloves, boots, full face knit cap and helmet and it was still brutal, but I was in my 20's and the bike was saving us a bunch of $$ in gas. I did end up in a cast for six months but that crash wasn't weather related. It was someone turning left in front of me, but I digress. Back then they didn't have motorcycle safety classes, you just got your endorsement from taking a test. But I was young and foolish and indestructible. I wouldn't advise riding in winter either if you have other options. Basically winter riding just sucks, unless your doing like the pictures show above!

Last edited by artstenn; 10-27-2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: finishing a sentence
post #23 of 26 Old 10-28-2017, 04:22 AM

I can't ride through the winter here but I have a longer season than most people in my area. You can get thin balaclavas made for wearing under hard hats at a work wear store. That's also where I got rubber boots and rain pants. Once it gets close to the freezing point, I switch to snowmobile mittens instead of gloves. They're a little awkward but keep my fingers from freezing.
It's important to have backup transportation. It's challenging to be a new rider. It's challenging to commute in all kinds of weather. It's safer to have the option to not ride if you're not feeling like it's going to be a good day for it.

post #24 of 26 Old 10-31-2017, 01:23 AM

Garage
I've been a 12 month rider back and forth to work 40 miles each way for years in the Pacific Northwest. I avoid riding in heavy downpours or high winds or when freezing is predicted. Here's my gear. Silk balaclava, Firstgear Kilamanjaro jacket and pants with quilted liners and heated snowmobile gloves. Silk liners under ski gloves work as well. The hands are the things that get cold when it is below 40 or you are going faster than 55. Waterproof boots too. Be warm. Cold leads to slow reactions and poor thinking. I've even traveled home in a bit of unexpected snow on my Piaggio MP3 but wouldn't try it on the CBR. So far my CBR does good in the rain -- it is built for the monsoons of India after all.
shisoshin likes this.

________IT COULD BE WORSE,_______________
CB400A
CB400A
VStar650
VStar650
TW200
CBR250R
post #25 of 26 Old 11-01-2017, 08:10 AM

Garage
Many years ago, back in the late 80s Ihad a 25 mile commute to work, mostly up a dual carriageway and rode it year round on a Honda CB250RS. For the winter months I had it kitted out with both handlebar muffs and heated grips which meant I could ride with regular gloves at all times.
I also had a one piece waterproof oversuit which not only kept me dry but was great for keeping the draughts out and stopping my regular kit getting covered with road filth in heavy traffic. The authorities here are pretty good for salting the roads whenever there is a frost forecast. This certainly makes winter riding a lot safer but far dirtier and harder on bikes.

There were a bunch of us commuting from the same village but I was the only one to regularly ride it. One winter we had an unexpectedly heavy snowfall overnight that by morning, had snow blowing across the road in places. Early on I had a big sideways moment at 40ish mph when I hit one of those patches. It looked bad enough for the car behind me to brake sharply but I stayed upright with a bit of a wiggle. Further up the road was blocked by a number of articulated lorries unable to climb a snow covered rise. My little 250 chugged past them quite easily and I became the only person from the village to get to work that day.
jsonder and jkv357 like this.
post #26 of 26 Old 01-21-2018, 09:52 AM

Out on the CRFs this weekend with my oldest (21) boy. Almost 40F, but the ground in the woods was frozen solid. No traction at all once you got through the snow, leaves, and grass.

The bike is constantly out of line and sliding. Good practice.

I bounced off of one tree on the way down, but luckily it was just a glancing blow. Plenty of close calls though.

Here he is on our regular track -

And in the woods after finding a small tree hidden under the snow -

Fun day, but I'm a little sore this morning.
jsonder likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page