CBR 250R Diagnostic mode?!?! - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-20-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
CBR 250R Diagnostic mode?!?!

Hi guys, I was going through YouTube watching some videos and found a video on a CBR 150R, something like a diagnostic mode on its speedometer. I tried to check it out on my CBR 250R. It was accessible on my 250R also. But I am not sure about what those things are displayed on the speedometer. I am posting the video link below. Anyone came across it before? Knows better all these?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g4JpKdvfoEw
B7ACKTHORN likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-20-2018, 12:18 PM

It's my understanding that the instrument cluster for the CBR250R is specific to the country it's sold in, so functions available in some countries may not be available in others.
This "diagnostic" feature is not mentioned at all in owner's manuals for the US version (nor is the CBR150R legally sold here.)
So your best bet is to peruse whatever CBR forums you can find located in India (or perhaps Australia also) for further info.
US owners probably won't be much help.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-20-2018, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
It's my understanding that the instrument cluster for the CBR250R is specific to the country it's sold in, so functions available in some countries may not be available in others.
This "diagnostic" feature is not mentioned at all in owner's manuals for the US version (nor is the CBR150R legally sold here.)
So your best bet is to peruse whatever CBR forums you can find located in India (or perhaps Australia also) for further info.
US owners probably won't be much help.
Thanks for the response. Are you saying that your CBR250R is not responding like what we saw in the video?
Owners manual available with indian version also doesn’t mention any such features of the speedometer. Tried searching the web too, nothing available other than setting time and trip. Usually info about CBR is so easy to find out in the web.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-20-2018, 02:21 PM

I haven't tried it as yet (my bike is up on track stands in storage for the winter.) It's possible this feature may be available on US versions (perhaps for use by Honda maintenance people), but I've never heard mention of it on any US Honda forum. That and the fact that there's virtually nothing to be found on the internet about it makes me strongly suspect that US bikes don't have the feature.
I'm also basing my doubts on some other threads I've read here that note the differences in Indian instrument clusters and US ones. Some things you can do on US CBRs you can't do on Indian bikes and vice versa.
Perhaps another US member can confirm it or not, but being on this forum since 2011 and never hearing so much as a peep about such a "diagnostic" tool on the US CBR250R sure seems to indicate that we don't have it.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-20-2018, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
There is an engine check light (at least on Thai built versions there is a CEL) on the instrument cluster, which if there are any fault codes stored in the ECU, will flash a series of short - long dashes when the ignition is first powered up. The factory CBR250R service manual has a list of the various fault codes.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #6 of 13 Old 03-20-2018, 10:00 PM

Was hoping you'd comment, Mike.
What do you make of this video and the 15 "diagnostics" listed at the end of it that this video demonstrates?
Is this some "gimmick" that's only available on the CBR150Rs?
They sure don't look like they'd be particularly helpful to Honda mechanics and I've never seen anyone on the forum discover the same thing on our CBR250Rs.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-21-2018, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
As far as I know the CBR250R instrument display has no such diagnostic function. Honda dealerships have a diagnostic scan tool they use to read EFI/ECU fault codes.
TrueFaith likes this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #8 of 13 Old 03-21-2018, 05:23 AM

Garage
pages 122-126 of the service manual describeing the MIL light

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Akc69tPhd37xhM8_9FrYzS0DxVnn2g

shared from onedrive, no idea if it will work

2013 CBR250RAD Repsol Replica with ABS (now sold)
Presently have a 2002 Ducati 750Sport ie
post #9 of 13 Old 03-21-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Was hoping you'd comment, Mike.
What do you make of this video and the 15 "diagnostics" listed at the end of it that this video demonstrates?
Is this some "gimmick" that's only available on the CBR150Rs?
They sure don't look like they'd be particularly helpful to Honda mechanics and I've never seen anyone on the forum discover the same thing on our CBR250Rs.
I have tried it on my CBR250R (Indian) and it’s the same as we saw in that vid. I think most of you guys from the west would be away from your rides due to winter.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-21-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamragesh006 View Post
I think most of you guys from the west would be away from your rides due to winter.
Well I wouldn't say "most". just those of us that live in parts of the US where it's "inadvisable" to ride for several months during the worst of the Winter.
Actually, yesterday was the first day of Spring here, but that's not stopping our 4th major storm in the last month from dumping another possible FOOT of snow on top of what's already on the ground tonight.
It's been a particularly active winter for storms here, but at least I know that only a month from now I'll probably be prepping the bike for the first ride of the season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page