Graduating to larger bike... - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 Old 06-28-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippplePPP View Post
I hope I didn't sound stupid or irresponsible with my replies.
Well, you're American so stupid and irresponsible is what the world expects of you.

just kidding

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 Old 06-28-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Well, you're American so stupid and irresponsible is what the world expects of you.

just kidding
Its a shame my country has lead the world to view us like this. There are wonderful people everywhere including where you live and I live. I blame the media for sensationalizing the bottom of the barrel as what is thought of being the norm here. My brother lives in Germany. He is a good representative of America. I always appreciate when he talks about how everyone is basically the same no matter where he goes but you mostly hear about all the crazies on the news.

No offense taken. I appreciate hearing perspective from other countries.
post #23 of 49 Old 06-28-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippplePPP View Post
Its a shame my country has lead the world to view us like this. There are wonderful people everywhere including where you live and I live. I blame the media for sensationalizing the bottom of the barrel as what is thought of being the norm here. My brother lives in Germany. He is a good representative of America. I always appreciate when he talks about how everyone is basically the same no matter where he goes but you mostly hear about all the crazies on the news.

No offense taken. I appreciate hearing perspective from other countries.
Erm...it was a joke.

That's why I put the "just kidding" comment below it.
That did not represent my real opinion of the US. I might disagree with your current president but that doesn't mean I think the whole population is stupid. Sorry if I came across like that. It really was supposed to be funny (but us Germans aren't that good with humor I hear...).

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

post #24 of 49 Old 06-28-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
I'll just say that you should be cautious of buying a full-on 600cc sport bike. That's just my opinion. One of my boys (21) has taken my advice and purchased a VFR800, which he loves. The other (18) hasn't, and has an R6. He has been riding since he was about 4, but last season was surprised by some gravel entering a corner and went down about 20 MPH. A good lesson. I'm still not sure he's mature enough for the R6. At that age I wasn't mature enough for the 750 Ninja I was riding, and had numerous close calls. My previous 5 years of dirt riding and racing saved me from disaster many times. That and some dumb luck.

I ride a moderate 650cc sporty twin, and it provides all of the power, comfort, and capability that I can reasonably utilize on the street. There are other mid-sized bikes (like VFR) that are sporty, but not full-on sport bikes that are great all-around street bikes as well. The torque from a mid-sized twin or V4 is nice to have around town, especially for a larger rider.

I'm just giving you my opinion so hopefully you will think about it quite a bit before making your decision.

I have not ridden a 600 supersport, but I have ridden two VFR 800s and I would not be so quick to say they are a much safer choice. The VFR 800 still has about 100 horsepower, can do 3.5-4 second 0-60s if you know what you are doing, will power wheelie in 1st gear, and will do 60 mph in first gear. Plus it is also tall and heavy. In comparison, the VFR 800 shouldn't be all that much slower, but it probably wont "ask" you to go faster like the 600 might. It is all about self control, you can be plenty irresponsible on the 800.

They do sound quite nice though, of all the engine airbox sounds I have captured so far, the VFR 800 is my favorite.

Quote:

Having been to Germany, that is exactly what American drivers are in comparison. Then once you hit Italy, its right back to America again.
post #25 of 49 Old 06-28-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Erm...it was a joke.

That's why I put the "just kidding" comment below it.
That did not represent my real opinion of the US. I might disagree with your current president but that doesn't mean I think the whole population is stupid. Sorry if I came across like that. It really was supposed to be funny (but us Germans aren't that good with humor I hear...).
I know you were joking and I thought it was funny. No offense taken. I know you are good people.

Maybe my long paragraph sounded like I was upset but I wasn't.

Never be afraid to joke like that with me.
Schroeder likes this.
post #26 of 49 Old 06-28-2018, 10:23 PM

You should check out Zack Courts' "MC Commute" videos on the Motorcyclist Magazine channel on YouTube.
Zack rides a new motorcycle to work at Motorcyclist in every video, everything from a Honda Grom to the latest liter bikes while discussing the strengths and weaknesses of each bike as he's riding.
It's a good way to get an idea of what different bikes are capable of, including some you may not have considered.
post #27 of 49 Old 06-29-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Chicken View Post
I have not ridden a 600 supersport, but I have ridden two VFR 800s and I would not be so quick to say they are a much safer choice. The VFR 800 still has about 100 horsepower, can do 3.5-4 second 0-60s if you know what you are doing, will power wheelie in 1st gear, and will do 60 mph in first gear. Plus it is also tall and heavy. In comparison, the VFR 800 shouldn't be all that much slower, but it probably wont "ask" you to go faster like the 600 might. It is all about self control, you can be plenty irresponsible on the 800.
That might be true. Slightly better choice, but yes, still quite powerful.

I've ridden both 600 and 750 super sports, and I can say that while the VFR is no slouch it doesn't have the same explosive acceleration and doesn't feel like a race bike. The VFR has a smoother power delivery and is much more stable, but ya, there is still plenty of power to get you way over your head. It is big and heavy though.

Any of the choices above the CBR250 are going to definitely increase your chances of stepping over the line, but something like a VFR, Ninja 650, SV650, MT-07, etc., are still a big notch down from a current 600 super sport.
post #28 of 49 Old 11-27-2018, 04:34 AM

I recently returned back to the Honda crew. I absolutely adore my 250. It’s just raw fun. Originally began riding on a 04 CBR6 & took me almost 15 years to step up to a liter bike. Currently, I have a 2016 S1000RR premium & my 2011 250. It’s really exciting going from my S1KRR to my CBR cause it is so raw. No steering damper, no abs, no abs, & it’s so gutless. I throughly enjoying riding the 250. Reminds me to respect the power of my 207hp beast
post #29 of 49 Old 11-27-2018, 06:06 AM

Garage
I've been looking for a more powerful bike to replace my CBR205R for a couple of years now, not to go much faster but for more confident overtaking, but every bigger bike I have looked at so far has a downside. More weight, less weather protection, smaller fuel range, less comfort.......... Until I can be sure I am taking a step forward without there being an accompanying step back I'll not be spending my money.

Actually, back in June I did buy myself a lightly used Yamaha MT07 on the promise of relatively light weight, instant power and reasonable fuel economy and range. I thought that a flyscreen and handguards would give me some weather protection. In reality it looked like a dogs dinner with those fitted and after just a couple of rides I found myself looking longingly at my CBR parked up. So much that when my wife suggested it was about time I advertised one of the bikes it was the MT that went on the Autotrader. Thankfully I got most of my money back on it.

I just find that being sat astride a CBR250R is a very nice place to be at any of the speeds it is capable of and it's going to take more than just power to beat that.
post #30 of 49 Old 11-27-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I've been looking for a more powerful bike to replace my CBR205R for a couple of years now, not to go much faster but for more confident overtaking, but every bigger bike I have looked at so far has a downside. More weight, less weather protection, smaller fuel range, less comfort.......... Until I can be sure I am taking a step forward without there being an accompanying step back I'll not be spending my money.

(SNIP)

I just find that being sat astride a CBR250R is a very nice place to be at any of the speeds it is capable of and it's going to take more than just power to beat that.
Growing up on dirt bikes, I have always valued light weight and maneuverability over raw power.

Have you considered the CBR300R? Might be a big enough improvement, yet familiar enough, to justify another purchase.
Radha21 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page