Graduating to larger bike... - Page 4 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 Old 11-27-2018, 10:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Growing up on dirt bikes, I have always valued light weight and maneuverability over raw power.

Have you considered the CBR300R? Might be a big enough improvement, yet familiar enough, to justify another purchase.
Yes, I've looked at the CBR300 but I haven't ridden one yet to find out just how noticeable the extra power would be. I nearly went for one that someone on Autotrader was very desperate to sell a couple of months back but made excuses to myself about the distance and aftermarket can.
I'm going to sound really picky here but one thing putting me off the CBR300 is the orange backlight to the speedo. I think it looks awful and dated compared to the blue on the 250.

My current favourite is the R3. I rode one when they first came out and remember thinking it felt pretty similar to my CBR250R. The demo bike only had a very few miles on the clock and I respected the dealer's request not to rev it past 7000 so I never got to feel the extra power over my 250. The ability of a twin to run smoothly at lower revs would be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 11-27-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Yes, I've looked at the CBR300 but I haven't ridden one yet to find out just how noticeable the extra power would be. I nearly went for one that someone on Autotrader was very desperate to sell a couple of months back but made excuses to myself about the distance and aftermarket can.
I'm going to sound really picky here but one thing putting me off the CBR300 is the orange backlight to the speedo. I think it looks awful and dated compared to the blue on the 250.

My current favourite is the R3. I rode one when they first came out and remember thinking it felt pretty similar to my CBR250R. The demo bike only had a very few miles on the clock and I respected the dealer's request not to rev it past 7000 so I never got to feel the extra power over my 250. The ability of a twin to run smoothly at lower revs would be welcome.
Can't blame you for that. The new 2019 R3 is even better with the cosmetic improvements they made.

Might be a bit flatter than the CBR until things really get going about 9000 or so, but after that there's no comparison. The Ninja 300 isn't bad either, and there's the new 400 as well.

Currently there is rising interest in smaller displacement bikes, so you have more choices.

The CBR250/300RR twin that we were talking about a while ago seems to have disappeared...

I like my SV650, but it's no lightweight. I bought it in '06 because it could do it all - not too big for in-town and still highway capable. Just did 1300 mi in 2 days on it recently to attend a Land Speed Racing (LSR) event as a spectator. Still feels too big at times, but it's a good compromise for me.

I'd really like to set-up a new R3 for Land Speed Racing eventually.
post #33 of 49 Old 11-27-2018, 10:53 AM

Garage
I saw the new R3 at the bike show last week and to be honest I preferred the old one. Yamaha have lowered the handlebars and dropped the lovely analogue tacho in favour of an all LCD display. My riding is far more tour than sports and good, low mileage R3s come up for sale quite often so maybe..................

I also rode a Ninja 400 back in the summer. That was quite pleasant but let down by a poor seat although even if that was sorted I can't see my wallet opening wide enough for a brand new bike. Oh, and there's not much in the way of luggage to fit that model yet.

post #34 of 49 Old 11-27-2018, 11:06 AM

Sounds like you are doing your homework!
Keith likes this.
post #35 of 49 Old 11-27-2018, 12:19 PM

Garage
I can't afford to get it wrong a second time.
post #36 of 49 Old 01-13-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I can't afford to get it wrong a second time.

MT-07 / FZ-07 would be one of my top choices. The Ninja 650 would be solid too. Both are a hugely different power delivery than a race bike, and have far better ergonomics.

When I upgraded from my CBR250R, I looked at and rode the following and would rank them as such:
  1. F800GT
  2. MT-07
  3. F800R
  4. Tracer 900
  5. Ninja 650
I feel like you'll be unhappy with any of the singles if you find your big issue right now is overtaking performance. I wound up financing a Ducati SuperSport since it spoke to me the most, and I fell in love with it. That said, if I were more rational, the Tracer 900 GT would have been the correct choice for me.
post #37 of 49 Old 01-14-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:

I have a CBR300RA. Downsized from a Deauville 650 because of age (79) and the top heavy weight of the DV. (I enjoyed it for quite some years though).
The CBR300 handles very well on the twisty North Wales roads, is easily fast enough to keep an eye on your licence, and is 90 kilo lighter than the Deauville. Never have problems with overtakes but rarely ride on motorways or fast dual carriageways (Because we don't have many). I hope to keep the CBR for many years until I have to give up riding. I also find it more comfortable than my Deauville which initially surprised me as the DV is a perfect long distance tourer. Don't have any problem with the speedo backlight but you could get blue LEDs if you wanted to fit those.
post #38 of 49 Old 01-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Kawasaki did a great job on their new Ninja 400 twin and the Z400 (naked). The Z400 comes with ABS and it lists for $4799.00. Top speed 120mph.
post #39 of 49 Old 01-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Garage
I went to see an R3 today. The dealer wasn't particularly generous with the part exchange offer on my CBR but it wasn't that which stopped me, despite the R3 being spotless and low mileage I just didn't find myself wanting it enough to part with the cash.
20 years ago I would have (and frequently did) borrowed far more than was sensible to get a new shiny two wheeled toy but these days I just can't find anything that generates those 'must have' feelings. I'm beginning to think that 'older and wiser' may not be all that it's cracked up to be.
jkv357 likes this.
post #40 of 49 Old 01-15-2019, 04:26 PM

I hear you Keith.

Back in the day I bought a new bike every year. Haven't felt that sort of pull for quite a while now.

I like to do a few mods to improve my daily rider SV, but I'm not looking to get rid of it or change it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page