Graduating to larger bike... - Page 5 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 Old 01-17-2019, 11:22 AM

Garage
Older and wiser does not always work.

After 54 years of riding 250 cc bikes or smaller (except for my wife's 325 cc CB350), I broke down and bought a belated 72nd birthday present for for myself, by ordering an ABS version of the Honda CB500X.

Going from a sub 300 pound street bike to a 430 pound "big bike" was a bit of a shock. I'm now 77 and starting to find the weight of the big bike less comfortable. But is sure is nice for touring.

Picture taken in the Ruby valley, southeast of Butte, Montana.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

Last edited by jsonder; 01-17-2019 at 11:24 AM. Reason: explain picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 Old 01-17-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post

May I ask what these little squares are on the road? Is that to alert drivers if they cross the line? They can be seen rather frequently on pictures of US roads but I've never seen them anywhere else?

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 49 Old 01-17-2019, 10:14 PM

Garage
Yup, they are designed to get your attention if you drift off to the outside of the road.

When I was working in Montana, it was not uncommon for me to have to drive 4 to 10 hours to get to my field area (I was a hydrogeologist). Distances up too 800 km to get there. This helps explain working 10 days and off 4, just to minimize the time wasted in travel. Montana is a big state. I have pulled off to get a couple hours nap when I became tired while driving home at the end of a work period. Driving at night on not heavily used roads makes it easy to fall asleep. The population of the entire state is less than one million.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsonder For This Useful Post:
Schroeder (01-18-2019)

post #44 of 49 Old 01-18-2019, 04:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
May I ask what these little squares are on the road? Is that to alert drivers if they cross the line? They can be seen rather frequently on pictures of US roads but I've never seen them anywhere else?
In the UK we call them 'rumble strips' and they are usually raised lumps in the white line marking the edge of the road. Google images has plenty of close ups of all types.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:
Schroeder (01-18-2019)
post #45 of 49 Old 07-03-2019, 06:16 PM

So I went really big

I learned to ride on a 2011 CBR 250R, nice bike, but in Texas people drive fast. I made a trip from Austin to Dallas on back roads and 80% of the roads had a 75mph speed limit. Cruising at 80mph is not the 250ís strong point. So I sent my Honda to Asheville, and bought a Ducati Monster 1200S. This bike is perfect for freeways and fast country roads. If you keep it under about 6,000 rpm it has lots of torque and is quite docile. Above that it is a beast. I would not have bought it without the IMU, cornering ABS, cornering traction control, wheelie control, and rider modes. The fueling is smoother and less snatchy than on the CBR. It is a spectacular bike.

In Asheville I find I donít really need anything beyond the 250 for the tight mountain roads that I have been riding. It is the perfect tool to learn how to corner. At times I thought about replacing it with an MT 07, but Iím not sure I would be any faster or have any more fun. I think multiple bikes is the answer to this question ;-)
TrippplePPP likes this.
post #46 of 49 Old 07-07-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I'm the OP of this thread. As an update I still have my 250CBR. I have narrowed down what bike I want and have seen a couple come and go at decent prices. I am tempted to sell my 250 for the good deal but I'm still holding onto the CBR and saving for the other bike.
jkv357 likes this.
post #47 of 49 Old 07-11-2019, 09:51 AM

Hi, which bike are you thinking about next?

If it was me I would choose the Ninja 400. But my plan is to ride my Honda for at least 3 years.

Im really happy people are posting on this particular topic. It is one of my favorite threads, I could read and talk about it for hours. About the subject of "Is it time to upgrade to a bigger bike" and also the thread "Is the CBR250 capable on the highway"

Those are my 2 favorite threads on this entire forum.
post #48 of 49 Old 07-11-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

I would like a 2008 Honda CBR600rr. Or 2011
post #49 of 49 Old 07-13-2019, 10:12 AM

When I was looking at the CBR 600 I had my eye on the F4i because of the more upright seating position and ergonomics.

Also that style has really fallen out of favor with the thieves so it is much less likely to be stolen compared to the newer models.

Around here i saw a few that where supper low priced like $2500

But even so.....one of the main things that held me back from buying a 600 is that they steal them like hotcakes around here. The CBR 600 in particular was the most stolen motorcycle in USA. So for me that really dissuaded me,

I can leave a CBR250 or CBR300 with just a disc lock on it and it will probably be just fine but with 600cc sportbikes you really need to invest in expensive and heavy security devices and people who live in apartment complex or condominium should not even buy one at all (in my opinion).

But if you go to the CBR 600 forum you can read stories galore of how many guys got their bikes stolen.

I personally would go with a Ninja400 if I upgrade but I put the idea of upgrading "out of my mind" for the moment. I guess it all comes down to the driving style. I myself have been heavily focused on fuel economy and trying to stay above 70 miles per gallon. So this means I try to keep my speed at 70 mph or 75 mph as the maximum (unless some fast car is tailgating me or coming up fast on the rear).

So with this style of driving the supersport would be mostly a waste with a driver like me. The thing has a top speed of 160 mph but If I am not even going to go over 100 mph then its a big waste. I read an article about fuel economy and that a vehicle is happy and comfortable at the zone of using 80% of its total power. So this is good news for the 250/300 by cruising on the highway at 70 - 80 mph we are keeping the engine very near to its 80% zone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page