Graduating to larger bike... - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 06-18-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Graduating to larger bike...

I have had my CBR250r for about 3 years/seasons. I love the bike and ride it all the time. Its my first bike and I don't know anything else. I have parts on the way and still would like to modify a few aspects. Yet at the same time I feel our time together is going to end at some point. I'm sure a few people on this site have watched people come and go as a lot of people "graduate" into a larger bike.

I commute with my bike and ride it frequently to work. I love speed and have a faster car. That being said I wish I had greater passing ability when on the highways, something the 250 lacks. Fully proud of my 250 I park it next to any other bike and proudly state "I have a CBR250" when any one asks. Again, I would like to twist my wrist and make it past slow cars in the passing lane when commuting to work rather than plan a pass when the opportunity arises.

I'm currently looking at CBR600's and Yamaha R6's with about 15-30,000 miles as this is what is close to my price range on the used market. I could see myself making a move in the next year. Yet, I wish I had enough money and space to keep my CBR and also get myself a 600.

I'm not posting with questions but thought I'd share my thoughts as I bet others here have been in my shoes. Anyone here have a 600? I know a few people here have had them and still returned to the CBR250. Why do you guys stick with a 250 when you have the riding skills to ride any bike?

Feel free to speak your peace and add. Again, I do not really have a huge point with this post but to convey my thoughts and start a conversation with like minded internet friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Things I love about the CBR250 is the simplicity of the bike. I can easily afford parts and seems this bike it an easy bike to work on. The bike it very easy to maneuver yet I don't have anything else to base this on other than it just feels second nature to drive. The gas mileage is great and I love to brag about this to people with larger bikes. I also can sneak by without blasting out eardrums. My bike is all black and I continue to "black it out". I'll have to post some pics in the near future.
post #3 of 49 Old 06-19-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippplePPP View Post

... That being said I wish I had greater passing ability when on the highways, something the 250 lacks. I would like to twist my wrist and make it past slow cars in the passing lane when commuting to work rather than plan a pass when the opportunity arises.

... thought I'd share my thoughts as I bet others here have been in my shoes. Anyone here have a 600?
Yes I have been in your shoes, a couple of years back. I sold my 250R and moved up to the CBR300 but it still wasn't quick enough (IMO) for comfortable overtaking maneuvers. I ride a lot with other riders on bigger machinery so I often got left behind. Not because they were riding at 100 MPH but because they could pass quickly and safely where I couldn't.

So I didnt go all the way to a 600 but bought a Kawasaki Ninja 400 instead. It is still the same light weight as the 250/300's but nearly twice as much power (19.4 kW vs 36kW) and will pull around 120MPH. More than ample grunt but best of all they are only about 5K USD to buy, way cheaper than a 600.
Another option to consider perhaps.

2013 CBR250R repsol (sold)
2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400

post #4 of 49 Old 06-19-2018, 09:22 AM

My son has a '05 R6 that I have some time on, and it's kinda of a pain (for me). Riding position is track-oriented, which gets old quick when on the hwy. Tons of power, mostly WAY up there, but it does have more in the middle than I expected.

The CBR600 is most likely a better street bike than the R6, but a Super Sport 600 is not the most versatile choice for most. Also check your insurance before you buy. You may be surprised (shocked).

The mid-sized "sporty" bikes like the Ninja 650, SV650, FZ-07 (now MT-07) and new Ninja 400 all have adequate power for most, and quite a bit more than you are used to.
post #5 of 49 Old 06-19-2018, 11:41 PM

Garage
I rode 250 cc sized bikes for fifty-four years before "graduating" to a larger bike. I figured that at 72 I needed ABS and used that as an excuse to get a Honda CB500XA. It will pass with authority up to 90-95 mph, beyond that, the acceleration slows down. That is plenty of bike for an old geezer like me, and it has averaged a bit over 68 mpg (US gallons) for the past 17K miles. I do love that bike.
jkv357, Schroeder and TrippplePPP like this.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #6 of 49 Old 06-20-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippplePPP View Post
I'm currently looking at CBR600's and Yamaha R6's with about 15-30,000 miles as this is what is close to my price range on the used market. I could see myself making a move in the next year. Yet, I wish I had enough money and space to keep my CBR and also get myself a 600.

I'm not posting with questions but thought I'd share my thoughts as I bet others here have been in my shoes. Anyone here have a 600? I know a few people here have had them and still returned to the CBR250. Why do you guys stick with a 250 when you have the riding skills to ride any bike?

Feel free to speak your peace and add. Again, I do not really have a huge point with this post but to convey my thoughts and start a conversation with like minded internet friends.

Cause the slow bikes are more fun! When you restrain yourself to not-getting-arrested kind of speeds, a fast bike really isn't much more fun. I wanted the engine design (I4) of the bigger bikes, but I also wanted a slow bike that I can romp on, so I got my four cylinder CBR 250R. I had ridden a VF500 and then a VFR 800 before my CBR 250R, and while the V4 sounds great and I just LOVE fuel injection, it was just too fast to truly enjoy. Since then I also got a VFR 400, so I can enjoy sweet V4 music while still being not too fast, but it still has carbs.
If you were satisfied with your CBR 250R for so long, and are looking for four cylinders for a reasonable price, check out the CBR 650F. It is the less racy alternative to the CBR 600RR, which will have a riding position more similar to your CBR 250R, and will get better fuel economy than the 600.
jkv357 and TrippplePPP like this.
post #7 of 49 Old 06-23-2018, 10:27 AM

Wow, jsonder you're 72? Now I don't feel so bad about turning 67 next month and still riding a sportbike instead of a cruiser...lol.
As far as "moving up" an R6 or CBR600 is going to be a huge adjustment in ergonomics for someone coming off a CBR250R. You'd better be sure you like the more aggressive body positioning on the bike before you drive away from the dealership. You don't want to find out days later on your first long trip that it's a little too much for you.
And god, the price of those RR 600s these days. Instead of paying north of 10k for a 600, you could buy a Ninja 400 or CBR500R for half that and still keep the CBR250R in your stable easily.
post #8 of 49 Old 06-25-2018, 11:07 PM

I'm in the same boat. I decided that I'd wait one more year to go to the bigger sport bike (which I want to be a cbr600rr). I've been riding 1yr 3mo on the cbr250r and find that I'm getting good, but still learning a lot about riding the twisty roads that I love.
post #9 of 49 Old 06-26-2018, 11:27 AM

2018 Lightweight Sportbikes Shootout
Honda CBR500R vs. Kawasaki Ninja 400 vs. KTM RC390

2018 Lightweight Sportbikes Shootout - CBR500R vs Ninja 400 vs RC390

The CBR500R seems to be a good choice for a mid-sized street bike, as is the new Kawi.

I've ridden a RC390 a bit, and am not the biggest fan (mostly of the engine).

Honda is overpriced, for what it is, though.

Last edited by jkv357; 06-26-2018 at 11:34 AM.
post #10 of 49 Old 06-26-2018, 01:03 PM

I never considered the CBR 500 to be a true sport bike. To me it was always a fairly tame tourer with some fairings. The engine just isn't made for performance but smooth delivery of power and economy.
Radha21 likes this.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in