Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Bought a wrecked 250r

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  samuelc 
#1 ·
Trying to get my 2012 250 started. Seems like it has no spark. I have the cluster on. Fuel pump makes very little noise when I turn the key on. No fuel coming out. Low on gas I’m sure. No key for tank or ignition. Also no spark. Does it need to sense fuel pressure to get spark? Wanna hear it run before I put more money in it?

#2 ·
Trying to get my 2012 250 started. Seems like it has no spark. I have the cluster on. Fuel pump makes very little noise when I turn the key on. No fuel coming out. Low on gas I’m sure. No key for tank or ignition. Also no spark. Does it need to sense fuel pressure to get spark? Wanna hear it run before I put more money in it?
How are you starting it without the ignition key?

Most have some sort of theft deterrent that is built into the ignition that will cut spark.

I'd also check the battery voltage. I'd drain the tank completely and fill with a small amount of fresh gas.

#4 ·
Typically there is a resistor in the ignition system somewhere that alters the voltage to the coils to prevent it firing when "hot wired".

I would expect that's the issue. Many aftermarket ignitions don't have it either, so you end up needing to add one in order for it to work.

#6 ·
I repaired the key switch wires and took the tank cap out with a pry bar. Pulled all the pins in the key switch. Turned the switch on and the pump primed up and the spark is working. But it wont fire up. I think I may have flooded it by priming it several times.

#10 ·
Now its time to get parts for the rat. Tank, exhaust, headlights, tail lights, etc. I am parting out a 2001 vfr800fi to fund this build. I paid 200$ for the vfr. So far I have got my initial 200$ back and bought this 250r for 150$ and bought a few parts. (fuel line, bar, bar risers.) I want to get it on the road next season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.