Time to move on. - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Time to move on.

Last night, after a couple of weeks short of five years ownership, my CBR250R left to go to a new home. In it's place there's now a nearly new, low mileage and very clean R3. The CBR was the bike that got me back into wanting to head off on big long trips after several very low mileage years, even if those big trips didn't happen anywhere near as often as I'd have liked. It will be fondly remembered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 AM

I hope you'll still be hanging around here every now and then.
jkv357 likes this.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 04:14 PM

I'd love to hear how you think the R3 compares to the CBR if you get a chance.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I hope you'll still be hanging around here every now and then.
Thanks, I'm sure I will.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-04-2019, 10:24 PM

Why did you choose R3 over Ninja 300?
post #6 of 16 Old 03-06-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I'd love to hear how you think the R3 compares to the CBR if you get a chance.
Right, here goes.

The riding position is very similar to the CBR250R but try to imagine cutting a centimetre or two out of the seat padding. That makes it feel a little more like you're sitting in the bike rather than perched on top. The seat slopes from rear to front more than the Honda which is something I may get modified in the future.
The upper fairing is more protective than on the CBR250R. On cold days on the Honda I could feel cold air flowing across the ends of my fingers where they curl under the grips and blowing over the tops of my thighs. On the R3 that doesn't happen but I do seem to get more wind on my lower legs.
The R3's steering feels a little slower than the CBR250R, biased more towards stability and taking a little more effort to initiate turns. It would be wrong to call it ponderous but the difference is definitely there.
The R3 obviously has more power and being a twin more revs to play with, both at the top and the bottom of the scale. On the Honda I'd always change down in the higher gears to keep the revs above 4000, the R3 will drop to 3000 quite happily and up at motorway speeds it's as smooth as any 4 cylinder bike I've ridden. If you Google dyno charts for both bikes you'll see that the CBR is relatively peaky with a bulge in the torque curve between 5000 and 7500 revs and the R3 has a very flat curve. And that's how it feels to ride. The R3 motor doesn't spin up as quickly with the clutch disengaged as the CBR and so requires a larger throttle opening to rev match on downshifts. I'll get used to that. The extra power and fairing combine to allow a potential cruising speed 10-15 mph above the CBR.
And finally, that great big rev counter dominating the display really is a thing of beauty, enough to be a significant factor in choosing the R3 over alternatives.

And to answer Radha21. The Ninja 300 is a heavier bike with a peakier motor according to all the information I could find.
TrueFaith and jkv357 like this.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-06-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The riding position is very similar to the CBR250R but try to imagine cutting a centimetre or two out of the seat padding. That makes it feel a little more like you're sitting in the bike rather than perched on top. The seat slopes from rear to front more than the Honda which is something I may get modified in the future.
I sat on an R3 at the dealers and got the same "sitting in" sensation. I also instantly noticed the slope, something I absolutely hated on my Ninja 250R. With a 34" inseam the pegs also seemed a lot higher than the CBR's.
I think I'm just a tad too tall for an R3, which was a little disappointing because my first 2 bikes were Yamahas and I'd love to get back on one.
I'm dragging my feet on the Ninja 400 hoping that sales figures will convince Yamaha to jump in and market a 400 as well, hopefully with a slightly higher seat and lower pegs than the R3.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-07-2019, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I sat on an R3 at the dealers and got the same "sitting in" sensation. I also instantly noticed the slope, something I absolutely hated on my Ninja 250R. With a 34" inseam the pegs also seemed a lot higher than the CBR's.
I think I'm just a tad too tall for an R3, which was a little disappointing because my first 2 bikes were Yamahas and I'd love to get back on one.
I'm dragging my feet on the Ninja 400 hoping that sales figures will convince Yamaha to jump in and market a 400 as well, hopefully with a slightly higher seat and lower pegs than the R3.
It looks like Yamaha are committed to the 321cc motor for the foreseeable future. Have you seen the 2019 R3? Yamaha have dropped the handlebars and replaced the instruments with a TFT display, and not changed much else. One local dealer did offer me a new 2018 R3 at over 20% off list but it was the matt black colour which I think looks awful. Too much like a bike that's been thrown down the road a couple of times and hand sprayed by it's owner to try and make some kind of nihilistic statement. If I could have had the blue option at that price........................
I rode a Ninja 400 last year and whilst it was a pleasant enough ride it didn't inspire me to open my wallet. As far as I can remember the performance didn't feel much different to the R3 but then both are built to satisfy the European A2 licence requirements which stipulate maximum power and a maximum power to weight ratio. Also, there is very little in the way of luggage options available for the Ninja and the seat is rubbish, too slopey and just not bottom shaped. Well not mine anyway.

I've found a bike shop about an hour's ride away that offers a seat reshaping service using memory foam inserts. So if they can scoop mine out a little at the back and build and up broaden the front to flatten it and give a little support under my thighs like the CBR250R did then that could be money well spent. As it is the R3 seat's not terrible but could be better.
TrueFaith likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-07-2019, 10:42 AM

Thanks for your feedback. Th reason I asked about the Ninja 300 is that they are very heavily discounted in my area compared to an R3 (on the used market).

Ever since the Ninja 400 came out the Ninja 300 has fallen "out of favor" it would seem and resulted in deep discounts.

Congratulations and hiope you are having fun on the highway with the R3. Must be a blast =)
post #10 of 16 Old 03-07-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
It looks like Yamaha are committed to the 321cc motor for the foreseeable future. Have you seen the 2019 R3? Yamaha have dropped the handlebars and replaced the instruments with a TFT display, and not changed much else. One local dealer did offer me a new 2018 R3 at over 20% off list but it was the matt black colour which I think looks awful. Too much like a bike that's been thrown down the road a couple of times and hand sprayed by it's owner to try and make some kind of nihilistic statement. If I could have had the blue option at that price........................
I rode a Ninja 400 last year and whilst it was a pleasant enough ride it didn't inspire me to open my wallet. As far as I can remember the performance didn't feel much different to the R3 but then both are built to satisfy the European A2 licence requirements which stipulate maximum power and a maximum power to weight ratio. Also, there is very little in the way of luggage options available for the Ninja and the seat is rubbish, too slopey and just not bottom shaped. Well not mine anyway.

I've found a bike shop about an hour's ride away that offers a seat reshaping service using memory foam inserts. So if they can scoop mine out a little at the back and build and up broaden the front to flatten it and give a little support under my thighs like the CBR250R did then that could be money well spent. As it is the R3 seat's not terrible but could be better.
Yes, I saw that they were making some small changes to the R3 for 2019. I plan on trying the "new" seating position at the dealer's asap, but I don't expect it will be all that different. I haven't sat on a Ninja 400 as yet, but if the seat "slopes" like you say it will be an instant turn-off. Perhaps the optional "higher" seat available will help. It's a real pain wanting to like a bike so much only to be disappointed once you throw a leg over it, but having a 34" inseam and loving small displacement bikes doesn't always work so well. Sometimes I feel like I should just give up and get myself a nice MT-07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page