In search of mpg - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

In search of mpg

Hello fellow riders. I've had my cbr250r for a yr now and decided to keep it as a daily comutter. I just bought taller tires and a set of 15/36t sprokets. I will report my findings once i install them. Right now a am getting about 55mpg and my goal is to get to 65mpg. I do not know if it's duable but ill try. Mod suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 01:32 PM

Welcome.

You have picked the right cycle for MPG. There are members here that have gotten over 100 MPG with their CBR - so it's doable.

There is a point where tall gearing isn't going to show improvements, but overall it should help. It does depend on your type of riding as well as your size/weight.

Search for posts by "Sendler" for some ideas for mods, or he may chime in.

He has a large tail that helped with mileage, and a few other things I'm sure.

The type of riding you do will effect it a lot. What do you do with it mostly?
post #3 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

I do some canyon riding here and there but I use it mostly for 1hr-3hr trips. This mostly highway speeds (thats why i got taller gearing) i do find myself riding at 80mph - 85mph most of the time (i know that doesn't help lol) and ive lost about 20lbs myself and looking to loose another 20. I read that i should leave the exahust alone and honestly I dont want to spend big bucks on the bike. Ill search for what you mentioned. Thank you for chiming in.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-04-2019, 03:11 AM

I'm not even sure the bike will get to 80mph on taller gearing. 85 is pretty much my top speed with the normal gear box.
jkv357 likes this.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Fuel economy really drops off when running the 250R at highway speeds above 65 MPH.

In other words, 55-60 MPG is what you can expect when running WOT. And for a heavier rider, changing to taller gearing isn't likely to improve MPG's. Those riders who do see a fuel economy improvement with taller sprocket ratios are typically on the lighter side of the weight spectrum... like in the range of 130 to 150 lbs. with all their riding gear.
TrueFaith and jkv357 like this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #6 of 11 Old 05-05-2019, 04:26 PM

As Mike noted - speed kills mileage.

For most vehicles, 45 MPH is where mileage peaks - and it's all downhill from there.

Slowing down is the easiest way to improve mileage as long as you are at a safe speed.

A larger windscreen may help mileage also. It's probably more frontal area, but directs the air over your helmet and shoulders better.

As also noted, there is a point at high speeds where too tall of gearing will drop the RPMs to a point where less power is available, and top speed in top gear may be reduced.

EDIT: Knowing your engine's torque peak RPM can also be beneficial when modding for mileage. Cruising at the torque peak puts the engine in its most efficient range normally. You need to balance that with the lowest RPMs and minimal throttle opening.

Last edited by jkv357; 05-06-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the help
Like you guys mentioned the gearing did not help It just made the bike boring haha. I plan to go back to the stock sproket on the front but I think ill be keeping the 36t for the back. For what you guys have told me there isn'tt much I can do to improme mpg other than loosing weight (i weigh 188lb goal is 170lb) so ill go the oposite route. Do you have any suggestions on how to make the bike more fun to drive maybe some powermods that dont brake the bank?
post #8 of 11 Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
One of the best things I did to improve my 250R, was to change the front sprocket to a 13T.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #9 of 11 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_49 View Post
Thank you guys for the help
Like you guys mentioned the gearing did not help It just made the bike boring haha. I plan to go back to the stock sproket on the front but I think ill be keeping the 36t for the back. For what you guys have told me there isn'tt much I can do to improme mpg other than loosing weight (i weigh 188lb goal is 170lb) so ill go the oposite route. Do you have any suggestions on how to make the bike more fun to drive maybe some powermods that dont brake the bank?
There aren't any simple mods that are going to really "wake up" the CBR like there are with some bikes. The CBR is best in mid-range, mid-speed, riding where the single's torque is best utilized. It's never going to be great on the hwy, though it is somewhat do-able.
post #10 of 11 Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page