Your opinion please #2cents - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 12-14-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
My dealer doesn't even keep CBR250R oil filters in stock. And even if they did they'd mark them up more than I'm willing to pay.

Considering that you can get a filter and gasket for short money from websites like Partzilla, why would you even consider dealing with delays and markups for parts like that from a dealership?

I order my filters at least 2 at a time so I always have a spare. The "stealership" hasn't seen my face since I had my 600-mile valve check 6 years ago.
Good day TrueFaith, I live in South Africa. So partzilla is rather expensive for shipping. The only thing I've ordered from partzilla is my Stator because my dealer was 4 times the price. I wish we had a site like partzilla here in SA.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

My Fuel Economy by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 12-21-2019, 08:24 PM

Just follow the owner's manual. Every 8k miles. If you go ahead and change the oil at 4k and don't change the filter I don't see a big issue with that, but it's something else to write down and remember for the next oil change. I just change the oil and filter at the same time and be done. Of course it never hurts to keep an eye on the oil level, usually at fill ups is a good time to check the level.
Mufasa likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-13-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
You can't really compare cycle engines to auto engines when it comes to demands on oil.

10,000 mi is also way too much for an oil change in an auto under most conditions. The exception is short warm-ups and long run times at temp - extended highway trips. Short trips and cold temps deplete additives and require more frequent changes.

Running extended (or factory recommended) oil change intervals in a cycle engine is risky, and only advisable in optimum conditions with the best oil. For most, conditions are not optimum. They have no idea what oil you are using and under what conditions you are operating, so their recommendation is just a guess at best. They don't want their products to appear "maintenance intensive", so they stretch the intervals.

Use a good oil. Change it often. Oil is cheap.

That's just my opinion.
I would hardly call manufacturers recommendations "a guess at best". There's millions of dollars poured into R&D for vehicle maintenance recommendations, and while making them longer looks good, having reliability failures from being too conservative looks worse.

Modern oils are fantastic, even at 12+ months old and 10,000+ miles (ProjectFarm on Youtube has a great video). I've done my fair share of UOA's in my cycle, my car, and my parent's cars. I drive lots of highway miles, they drive almost exclusively 4-mile trips around town. We drive the same model cars. Still plenty of life left at 10,000 miles on the Walmart Supertech full synthetic special with good TBN's. I run Rotella or Delo in the bike, depending on what's on sale at the time. I change at 5k miles, oil and filter.

Bottom line is factory intervals are a happy medium for the "average" driver. If all that is driven is short trips, it's good practice to change sooner, but it's not going to grenade your engine. Oil is cheap but not a renewable resource, and is not environmentally friendly to use or dispose of. Money is money, and money wasted is money never had, but if changing sooner makes people feel better....
Mufasa likes this.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

post #14 of 15 Old 01-13-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlocal View Post
I would hardly call manufacturers recommendations "a guess at best". There's millions of dollars poured into R&D for vehicle maintenance recommendations, and while making them longer looks good, having reliability failures from being too conservative looks worse.

Modern oils are fantastic, even at 12+ months old and 10,000+ miles (ProjectFarm on Youtube has a great video). I've done my fair share of UOA's in my cycle, my car, and my parent's cars. I drive lots of highway miles, they drive almost exclusively 4-mile trips around town. We drive the same model cars. Still plenty of life left at 10,000 miles on the Walmart Supertech full synthetic special with good TBN's. I run Rotella or Delo in the bike, depending on what's on sale at the time. I change at 5k miles, oil and filter.

Bottom line is factory intervals are a happy medium for the "average" driver. If all that is driven is short trips, it's good practice to change sooner, but it's not going to grenade your engine. Oil is cheap but not a renewable resource, and is not environmentally friendly to use or dispose of. Money is money, and money wasted is money never had, but if changing sooner makes people feel better....
Maybe I should have called it "a happy medium for the average driver" then.

A cycle engine with a small oil capacity puts much more strain on oil than an auto engine, but if saving a coupe bucks makes people feel better...
Mufasa likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-14-2020, 03:39 PM

I think oil threads are the only thing keeping this forum alive in 2020.
Mufasa likes this.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page