User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Keith
  • 1 Post By kiwi rider

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 02-13-2018, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Old Mechanical Tales

It's cold and wet here today and I've got time on my hands so, in response to Thomas M.Daley's recent comment in another thread about liking to hear tales of mechanical challenges, here we go. I'll start off with the tale of the Honda 400/4 I owned briefly 30 or so years ago.

I was 18 going on 19 in the summer of '83 and through the break from college had a job selling ice cream on a local beach. For over a month the sun shone continuously and being paid commission I made very good money. In just 4 weeks I managed to save the 375 a friend was asking for his 400/4. It wasn't just any 400/4, it had been bored to 500cc and given the full Yoshimura treatment. It was quicker than anything I'd owned up until then but didn't take long to show signs that the previous owners had had the best of it. An oil seal blew, and engine noises got worryingly louder.
I quite easily found a replacement engine for sale in a breakers not too far away and as they had the whole crashed bike I bought the airbox and pipe to return mine to standard. They were still removing the motor from the frame when I arrived and were in a bit of a mess as the junior mechanic had apparently taken the sump off without first draining the oil.
I got the motor home and over the next few days got it and the other parts fitted without scuffing too much frame paint and went for the first ride. It fired up and ran fine. All was well until I changed into third. Nothing. There was no drive there. Fourth, fifth and sixth were there but going back down through the box third was still missing.
The breaker was very apologetic and didn't have another complete good motor but did have a gear cluster. Being 19 and keen I offered to fit it myself. I'd got the motor in and out of the frame once so how hard could it be?
Well as far as I recall it all went quite smoothly. 33 years have dulled my memories of the details but I'm sure I'd remember anything I really struggled with.
Finally I had a running bike. Well, almost. The spoked rear wheel was starting to collapse (too much Yoshimura power?) and as luck would have it a local shop had a set of Super Dream comstar wheels kicking about that they fitted for a reasonable price.
The bike ran well and looked smart but being young I hated the way the performance felt flat after the Yoshi motor so just a few weeks later I part exchanged it for one of the last Yamaha RD350LCs.
Ahhhh, peaky two strokes. If you've never ridden one you won't fully know what I mean but you'll just have to believe me when I say that you've sadly missed out on a rather special chapter of motorcycling history.
MotoMike and kiwi rider like this.

Last edited by Keith; 02-13-2018 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-15-2018, 06:46 PM

I've had a couple of Honda XR200 trail bikes over the years. I had a twin carb RF model that needed a new timing chain so I bought the chain and roared into the task at hand with no manual and lots of enthusiasm.
I ended up splitting the casings (quite possibly unnecessarily) to do the job and during this time a couple of gear clusters inadvertently fell out. Oh well, not to worry, that looks like that came from there and such like...

When I put the bike back together and started it up it sounded a lot quieter and I patted myself on the back. Unfortunately when I rode it for the first time it would only change up and not down. I could get it to change down with some jiggling and faffing around though, but not on the move. Oh dear.

The bike sat around in this state for some time as my enthusiasm had dissipated and a realisation of my limited motorcycle gearbox knowledge had dawned on me.

Eventually i decided to sell it as is. I got Lucky. A young fella came round who 'had a mate who knew all about motorcycles' and he seemed certain he would be able to sort the gearbox issue for him no worries at all. I took his money and wished him luck!
Keith likes this.

2013 CBR250R repsol (sold)
2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page