RIP Sport Rider Magazine 1993-2017 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-03-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

RIP Sport Rider Magazine 1993-2017

As I'm sure many of you are aware, Sport Rider magazine ceased publication after 24 years with it's Oct/Nov 2017 issue.
I was a bit surprised to see the cover blurb "Last Issue Ever!" when it arrived in the mail a while back and yesterday I received a notice that the remaining issues of my Sport Rider subscription would be added to my subscription to Motorcyclist.
I haven't seen a lot of lamenting for it's loss, which is odd considering that whenever there's been a discussion on what is the best magazine for new CBR250R owners to seek out Sport Rider has always seemed to be the clear favorite recommended.
I have yet to see an exact reason for it's demise, but I suspect that it serving a niche market and always having a rather low circulation as a result was a large factor. That and the fact that magazines like Motorcyclist have really upped their game recently. The new Motorcyclist is barely distinguishable from the old rag. Quality you can actually feel with heavier paper stock, beautiful photo spreads and an increase in content and diversity of subject matter that is a welcome change from the norm. Ari Henning and Zack Courts have really taken Motorcyclist magazine to a new level and it has easily become the motorcycling publication I most look forward to receiving each month.
Still, Sport Rider definitely had something that the other magazines lacked. It's larger format filled with breathtaking photos of racing machines under power never failed to inspire and it's singular focus on sportbikes made it required reading for aficionados of the latest and fastest bikes. Editorially it may not have been the best magazine out there, but being able to see Rossi and Marquez locked in mortal combat at speed in glorious, high definition and oversized photographs will definitely be missed. Heck, even their full page ads for new bikes looked better in that format.
So what's your favorite motorcycling magazine now that Sport Rider has officially passed beyond the veil? For me it's obviously the new Motorcyclist, but I can tell that Cycle World is also feeling the heat and is subtly making changes to maintain and increase it's market share. Are motorcycle magazines a dying industry? With the new focus on "retro" bikes and scramblers and their riders who seem to value their "individuality" so much, will they also shun periodicals about their hobby? I'd be interested to hear what you all think a magazine with the "status" of Sport Rider ending publication after 24 years portends for the motorcycle magazine industry - and the sport in general - going forward. Or if you think it even matters at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-04-2018, 10:00 AM

Sport Rider was my all-time favorite. No cruisers, customs, hipster bikes, or other BS. Cycle World can be good, or not.

The new Motorcyclist looks to be redesigned for hipsters and people with a short attention-span that like to look at pretty pictures.

I can't stand it.

Tics me off.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-04-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

You should really give the new Motorcyclist a try. I was actually a little put off when the first new issue arrived for the same reasons you mention. After an issue or two I now find that it doesn't get the same treatment I used to give to most of the bike mags I read. Instead of a couple of days of skimming the pages and reading an article or three before it hits the trash bin, I've found that Motorcyclist lingers for quite a bit longer as I read many of the well written articles concerning touring, ADV bikes or profiles that previously held little interest. For once I actually feel like I'm getting my money's worth in a magazine and there's quite a diversity of content to hold my interest.
You're right about Cycle World. It's always been sort of hit or miss. At least I knew EXACTLY what to expect with every issue of Sport Rider.
B7ACKTHORN likes this.

post #4 of 15 Old 03-04-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
You should really give the new Motorcyclist a try. I was actually a little put off when the first new issue arrived for the same reasons you mention. After an issue or two I now find that it doesn't get the same treatment I used to give to most of the bike mags I read. Instead of a couple of days of skimming the pages and reading an article or three before it hits the trash bin, I've found that Motorcyclist lingers for quite a bit longer as I read many of the well written articles concerning touring, ADV bikes or profiles that previously held little interest. For once I actually feel like I'm getting my money's worth in a magazine and there's quite a diversity of content to hold my interest.
You're right about Cycle World. It's always been sort of hit or miss. At least I knew EXACTLY what to expect with every issue of Sport Rider.
I've been a subscriber of SR, CW, and Motorcyclist for over 10 years.

SR was always #1 in my book, with CW 2nd most of the time.

My motorcycle interests are admittedly limited - I have no interest at all in cruisers, rat bikes, hipster customs, etc. The new Motorcyclist focuses on those groups, which doesn't leave me much to read (except maybe some off-road stuff).
post #5 of 15 Old 03-04-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

********************, that's a shame. So you've really lost 2 magazines instead of 1. Hopefully CW will start picking up some of the slack for you to appeal to former SR readership.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-04-2018, 08:46 PM

Garage
It is hard for the magazines to compete with the internet, where you can get stuff pretty much tailored to your tastes.

I'm a long-time subscriber to Motorcycle Consumer News (the magazine without ads), and I am having troubles adjusting to a new editor with different viewpoints. I will probably lapse when my latest 3-yr subscription runs out in 2019.

Also, at my age I do not expect to be purchasing any new motorcycles.
MotoMike and Das Chicken like this.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #7 of 15 Old 03-04-2018, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Back in the days of my youth when I raced motocross (some 40 years ago), I read every issue of Motocross Action cover to cover. Honestly, I have to give credit to that particular magazine for much of my informal motorcycle education.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #8 of 15 Old 03-05-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Back in the days of my youth when I raced motocross (some 40 years ago), I read every issue of Motocross Action cover to cover. Honestly, I have to give credit to that particular magazine for much of my informal motorcycle education.
Me too!

I remember reading it in the library at school.

What was the popular test rider's name (nickname)? I'd recognize it, but it slips my mind (it's been a while - like 40 years...).
post #9 of 15 Old 03-19-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Wow, what's up with Cycle World?
I just got the latest issue in the mail and it's quite a shocker.
Not only has it been completely redesigned and re-numbered #1 , but it's over 1/4" thick and as heavy as a small telephone directory.
Full of simply beautiful matte pictures throughout and a gorgeous red Ducati Panigale on the cover.
This thing makes the redesign of Motorcyclist magazine look positively drab in comparison.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-20-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Wow, what's up with Cycle World?
I just got the latest issue in the mail and it's quite a shocker.
Not only has it been completely redesigned and re-numbered #1 , but it's over 1/4" thick and as heavy as a small telephone directory.
Full of simply beautiful matte pictures throughout and a gorgeous red Ducati Panigale on the cover.
This thing makes the redesign of Motorcyclist magazine look positively drab in comparison.
Haven't seen mine yet, but a guy on another forum compared it to the new Motorcyclist - which he hates as well.

As a Sport Rider fan, I don't know that I'm going to be impressed either.

Same company owns all of them now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page