7Likes
  • 1 Post By Big F1 Fan
  • 2 Post By MotoMike
  • 1 Post By jkv357
  • 1 Post By Juangt
  • 2 Post By MotoMike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Location: Saint Charles, IL. A really nice little far-west Chicago suburb in northeast Illinois.
Garage
Marquez & MotoGP on 8 April2018

Hi-

I was wondering about opinions on the riding of Marc Marquez during the Argentina MotoGP race on Sunday, 8 April, 2018.

My personal opinion is that he was riding in a very dangerous and unnecessary, but really exciting way during this race. I think he was thrown off of his whole race strategy at the start when he stalled on the grid and did that crazy maneuver that involved riding "backwards" on the grid to get his bike re-started and back into his starting position.

After the start, he showed incredible pace in the wet/drying conditions and was, at times nearly a second faster per lap than anyone else on the track. After gaining the lead, and while nearly 2 seconds clear of the second place rider, Marquez was given a ride through penalty for his pre-start shenanigans, ostensibly for disobeying a marshal's orders to start from the pit-lane. This penalty must have angered him even more, but it sure did lead to an exciting blitz up through the pack, passing everyone in sight until he got to #46 .

Well, I think Marquez was still good and red-misty from the penalty and he basically just bulldozed Rossi straight off of the track into the wet grass, causing Rossi to immediately come off of his bike. Rossi now says that he feels unsafe riding on the same track as Marquez - those are pretty strong words... After a 30 second penalty, Marquez' finishing position ended up being 18th, and to add insult to injury - was still fast enough to beat Rossi by about 8 seconds, with Rossi finishing 1 spot behind, in 19th place.

This is only my 2nd season watching MotoGP, and I have to say that it's really growing on me. The racing is intense as hell, and unlike F1, about 6 or 7 different riders seem to have a legit shot at winning each race. I don't like it however, when racers get the idea, like Marquez did Sunday, that they're deserving of victory and should be able to do whatever to whomever in order to make that victory happen. I hated seeing Senna drive like a jerk, again when Schumacher thought his Scheiße didn't stink, and now I'm seeing this way of thinking in Marc, and I hope it doesn't keep happening.

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on how Marquez acted on Sunday. Does he have a reputation for driving this way when things should be going his way, but aren't? Any other comments about the race? I really enjoyed it and I can't wait for the next one! It sucks I have to watch illegal streams - I have no way to get that weird channel that MotoGP is shown on here in the USA. Does anyone know of a better way to be able to see the races live? I'd be willing to pay maybe $5 bucks per race to be able to watch a good, smooth HD feed with English commentary....

Thanks, and sorry for the lengthy post!
Thomas M. Daley likes this.

-dreaming of beautiful weather and empty roads....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-09-2018, 03:29 PM

Rossi isn't happy - https://rideapart.com/articles/rossi...rgentina-crash

Marquez is super talented, but lacks a certain amount of maturity and control. He should have know there wasn't enough room to make it past Rossi cleanly. The commentators on BeIn Sports felt it would be an easy pass without any drama.

Marquez has a similar personality and risky actions as former F1 World Champions like Schumacher and Senna. They all were respected/hated by competitors and fans for their brave/foolish actions in traffic.

Last edited by jkv357; 04-09-2018 at 04:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jkv357 For This Useful Post:
Big F1 Fan (04-09-2018)
post #3 of 8 Old 04-09-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Location: Saint Charles, IL. A really nice little far-west Chicago suburb in northeast Illinois.
Garage
Hi-

Thanks for the link. I saw a story with a lot of the same quotes by Rossi on another website, but I didn't think to post a link here - I'm not too savvy with these fancy,newfangled forum thingamajiggers haha. I'm looking forward to broadening my education and knowledge of MotoGP to somewhere near the same extent as I did when I became enthralled with F1 back in the late 80's - I've got a lot of catching up to do.

I feel like I've missed out by not watching this exciting form of racing until recently - for some reason 2 wheelers just weren't on my radar, and I didn't jump on the bandwagon until I started riding a motorcycle myself. I'm still trying to develop allegiances and form opinions on teams and riders. I have an immense attraction to both the Ducati & Aprilia street sportbikes so I'm kind of starting to root for Dovizioso and the Ducati factory team. I'd love to see them race at COTA, but that's quite a trek for me from up here near Chicago. I did manage to get to Austin in 2015 to see F1 race there, maybe 2019 will be my year to see the bikes.

Thanks again for your reply and your confirmation of my thinking that Marquez was kind of similar to Senna & Schumi in his ability to polarize fans with his talent and antics.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
... Marquez has a similar personality and risky actions as former F1 World Champions like Schumacher and Senna. They all were respected/hated by competitors and fans for their brave/foolish actions in traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big F1 Fan View Post
... Thanks again for your reply and your confirmation of my thinking that Marquez was kind of similar to Senna & Schumi in his ability to polarize fans with his talent and antics.
Any of the past and present drivers & riders competing at the very top level of world championship motorsport (namely F1 & MotoGP) will have their fans and detractors alike. And it's a fact that no one successfully competes at that level without taking risks.

Max Verstappen took a risky move with Lewis Hamilton yesterday in Bahrain during the opening lap, and he ended up pay the price by taking himself out of the race. Verstappen is no doubt a very talented young driver, but he is not in the league of a Senna or Schumacher... yet.

Neither is Marc Marquez... yet. IMO If Marquez (who is no doubt extremely talented) is still competing and winning MotoGP races when he is Valentino Rossi's age, then he perhaps can be compared to legendary F1 drivers, the likes of Senna and Schumacher.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 04-09-2018 at 08:19 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-10-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@MotoMike-
Yeah, Verstappen's dive bomby mess of a move was quite similar to what Marquez pulled, except,as you know, the outcome was reversed. I think Max shows a lot of promise, and he is no doubt very quick, but right now he's just too young and inexperienced to have the mental toughness that I believe is needed to consistently win in F1. Not to mention Red Bull seems to be taking the long, slow tumble down from the lofty heights they were at before the hybrid era, so his equipment might not have the oomph to match his desire.

As a new fan of MotoGP, I keep thinking of MotoGp in relation to F1 and I need to quit that. I have to learn to enjoy MotoGp as it's own entity. The racing is so much closer and more exciting, especially up at the front of the pack, in MotoGp than it has been in F1 for decades now, and to me, that's a huge plus for the bikes. I'm really looking forward to being able to see a race live in the next year or so. I want to experience first hand what a 200mph fly-by looks, sounds and feels like by one of these monsters. I'll always be a huge fan of F1, as cars were my first love, but I'm glad to have given the bikes a chance and I'm having a blast as a newbie soaking up as much as I can about this series. I just wish I had access to that weirdo channel I've never heard of before that shows the races live... Does anyone reading this subscribe to the VideoPass service offered by MotoGp? It's about $175 for unlimited access to every race in every class on virtually any viewing platform imaginable, including android and apple phone apps... At first glance that seems a little steep, but I might take the plunge if I hear a good review or two....

Thanks again for the feedback MotoMike - I appreciate hearing from longer-time fans as I know I've got a LOT to learn!
Have a great day.
It's supposed to be in the high 60's/low 70's here in Chicagoland ( FINALLY!!!! ) for the next couple of days, so I'll get to get back on my little 250cc grin machine, yay!

post #6 of 8 Old 04-10-2018, 02:26 PM

My buddy subscribes to BeIn Sposts (beIN SPORTS: LaLiga, Ligue 1, Serie A, MotoGP, WTA, NCAA and more) for MotoGp. It's a streaming service, and the commentators are good.

Watched the last race live at his place.
Big F1 Fan likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jkv357 For This Useful Post:
Big F1 Fan (04-11-2018)
post #7 of 8 Old 04-15-2018, 05:12 AM

Hey guys!

First of all, I'm gonna try to be impartial (and that's not easy). Marquez has been riding in that way all his career. Since he was in 125cc (Moto3) he has been riding very fast and aggressive and sometimes, as you know, it damages to other riders. In my opinion, he started to be that agressive in Moto2, but he has won the championship 6 times and I think that makes he think that he can do some things that he actually shouldn't do. MotoGP legends as Kevin Schwantz say that he is too agressive and contact between riders is not rare but motorcycling is not a contact sport.

On the other hand, I think Rossi is wrong. That words (you know, he says that he is scared with Marquez on the track) are excessive because he was 25 too and he has done a lot of "tricks" to other riders. Maybe it's not funny when someone does that "tricks" to you, but if you can do them, then others can do it too. And there's a very long list of riders (Gibernau, Biaggi, Stoner, Lorenzo...) that complained about Rossi's tricks and nothing happenned.
Big F1 Fan likes this.

"If in doubt, flat out". - Colin McRae
post #8 of 8 Old 04-15-2018, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Marc Marquez was in Minneapolis last night at U.S. Bank Stadium watching the Supercross races... he had a brief on camera chat with the race announcers, talking about how he does a lot of motocross/off road riding in between MotoGP race weekends as a form of practice. He said that for him it's also a 'work around' to the testing restrictions in MotoGP (just like Formula One, MotoGP doesn't allow in season testing or practice).

https://www.gpone.com/en/2018/04/14/...ke-russia.html

Supercross tends to have a lot more contact between riders than in other forms of motorcycle racing, so that may explain where Marquez's more aggressive road racing riding style & tactics come from.

Big F1 Fan and Juangt like this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 04-15-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page