Retiring - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

5Likes
  • 5 Post By Bluerider

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-18-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Retiring

At 66 finally retiring after 36 years of working at Nuclear facilities. Only 8 days left then I am out of here with lots of time for the open road.
jsonder, jkv357, Schroeder and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-18-2018, 06:15 PM

Congrats, you made it.

Still at least 31 years for me....if I'm lucky that is...

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-20-2018, 01:23 PM

I'm almost in the same boat, 496 days and counting. Let us know what you do the first week off. I'm thinking it will start with a very very old bottle of scotch.

JimW
Greensboro, NC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimW337 For This Useful Post:
artstenn (09-20-2018)

post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2018, 02:34 PM

Almost exactly five years for me, til that full retirement age of 66.5 years! I can see the light now lol. I like that old bottle of scotch idea!
post #5 of 9 Old 09-20-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Retirement

Already started on the first "honey-do" of many. Finishing the landscaping of the front yard. My son is helping me a lot and we should be done this coming weekend at the end of summer. Travel plans coming up with an Alaskan cruise my wife has been wanting to do. Then next year off to Germany, Hungary and France to visit some of her relatives. Hopefully a little time for some riding thrown in there somewhere. Going back to riding with some old friends from the GWRRA that I have missed. That's about all for the near forseeable future.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-20-2018, 08:27 PM

Garage
I'll be 54 next month. The plan is to get myself in a position to go part time (three or four days a week instead of the current five and a half) by my 60th.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-24-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Wednesday the 26th is my last day of work at the site then Thursday is all downtown doing the paperwork part of the exit process. Kind of a bitter/sweet thing after 36 years here. I imagine it will take a while getting used to not having someplace I need to go every day, but I think that I can get used to that. Maybe get a part time job to help fill the hours. Anyway, 2 more days out here then I am gone. All, keep the wheel side down and enjoy the ride while you can. Best wishes to you all.
Danny
post #8 of 9 Old 09-25-2018, 02:00 PM

having been unemployed for a long time (medical reasons) I can tell you that it is a strange thing when the alarm clock doesn't wake you up in the morning. But you'll get used to it.

If you get too bored (or if you should start to feel useless as some people unfortunately do...) you can always try voluntary work for charities like the red cross for example.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'll be 54 next month. The plan is to get myself in a position to go part time (three or four days a week instead of the current five and a half) by my 60th.
Keith - this is a brilliant idea. I went down to a four day week about three years ago and I love it.
I'm typing this on a Thursday evening and it's great knowing I have three days off in front of me.
I'm 49 and mortgage free through hard work and wise decisions in life so I have addressed the work/home life balance to skew it more in my favor. If we are really busy at work i have to work friday but it probably happens about half a dozen times a year.
If you can wrangle it with your employer then go for it I say.

2013 CBR250R repsol (sold)
2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page