Well This Is Not Good News - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-13-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Well This Is Not Good News

E15 in your future if Trump has his way.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1MM224
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-13-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
E15 in your future if Trump has his way.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1MM224
Small price to pay to have a lot of positive changes in the states. There are plenty of non ethanol stations around that it won't effect USA CBR250r drivers.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-14-2018, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippplePPP View Post
Small price to pay to have a lot of positive changes in the states. There are plenty of non ethanol stations around that it won't effect USA CBR250r drivers.
And where exactly are you seeing those "positive changes"? How is increasing the ethanol that is already killing CBR engines a good thing just because President Trump wants to pay off a political debt?
Schroeder and tegs like this.

Last edited by MotoMike; 10-14-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Politically divisive content

post #4 of 11 Old 10-14-2018, 01:32 PM

Uh oh. We're getting political again.

And I'm out of popcorn. :/

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-14-2018, 02:41 PM

Garage
And ethanol-free fuel is virtually airports only (as aviation fuel) in Arizona. I really am not looking forward to higher ethanol levels in our gasoline.

ben2go, have some popcorn:

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

Last edited by jsonder; 10-14-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: add av. fuel to clarify
post #6 of 11 Old 10-15-2018, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
E15 has been rumored and talked about for years, nothing new there. And Trump is just trying to appease the corn growing farmers (after shafting the soybean farmers with his asinine tariff war). What Trump fails to understand, once again, is that it would take an act of congress to make any changes to the Clean Air Act. And with the powerful petroleum industry lobby in DC, that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Here where I live, we have non-ethanol 87 PON unleaded gas available for $0.10 more per gallon than the price of E10 (86 PON). Both my truck (which is Flex Fuel equipped) and my wife's car consistently get 10% better fuel mileage using non-ethanol gasoline. It's also what I run in all my small engine powered stuff, both 2 & 4 stroke... they all start and perform far better on 100% gasoline.

I've said it before, "ethanol as fuel" is just another scam perpetrated on consumers.
iahawk likes this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 10-17-2018 at 01:26 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-15-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippplePPP View Post
Positive changes? More like a large price to pay for negligible (at best) benefits. What do you see as "a lot of positive changes?" As an auto tech who see the repercussions of ethanol use, increasing the amount or ethanol in our fuel is not a positive thing (unless you are a corn farmer).
tegs and iahawk like this.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-17-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
E15 has been rumored and talked about for years, nothing new there. And Trump is just trying to appease the corn growing farmers (after shafting the soybean farmers with his asinine tariff war). What Trump fails to understand, once again, is that it would take an act of congress to make any changes to the Clean Air Act. And with the powerful petroleum industry lobby in DC, that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Here where I live, we have non-ethanol 87 PON unleaded gas available for $0.10 more per gallon than the price of E10 (86 PON). Both my truck (which is Flex Fuel equipped) and my wife's car consistently get 10% better fuel mileage using non-ethanol gasoline. It's also what I run in all my small engine powered stuff, both 2 & 4 stroke... they all start and perform far better on 100% gasoline.

I've said it before, "ethanol as fuel" is just another scam perpetrated on consumers.
I wish we had ethanol free 87 for $0.10 more here. I can get it, but it's a good $0.50-$0.60 higher. So I just run e10 and make sure to periodically run B12 through my tank every 1000 miles or so.

My Ford Ranger FFV can do e85, but the limited stations that have it around here are not significantly cheaper than regular e10 gasoline. Some places in Iowa or mid-US can be over $1 a gallon cheaper, which could make it worth the lower mileage. But here, it's maybe $0.25 a gallon cheaper, and costs more in the long-run.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-17-2018, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlocal View Post
I wish we had ethanol free 87 for $0.10 more here. I can get it, but it's a good $0.50-$0.60 higher. So I just run e10 and make sure to periodically run B12 through my tank every 1000 miles or so.

My Ford Ranger FFV can do e85, but the limited stations that have it around here are not significantly cheaper than regular e10 gasoline. Some places in Iowa or mid-US can be over $1 a gallon cheaper, which could make it worth the lower mileage. But here, it's maybe $0.25 a gallon cheaper, and costs more in the long-run.
Yeah, back when I lived in Santa Fe, NM I was paying about $0.50 more for non-ethanol gas, but that was for 91 PON Premium, and there was only one station in town that sold it. So at that time I wasn't running the non-ethanol in the car & truck, only buying it for use in all the small engine stuff, including the bikes & snowmobile.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #10 of 11 Old 10-17-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

The whole ethanol problem becomes even more annoying at this time of year, when prepping & storing my CBR for the winter months is staring me in the face. My closest ethanol-free gas is several towns away, but I'm definitely grabbing a 5-gallon gas can and making the trip next week so I can store the bike without ethanol in it this year.
I figure I go to the trouble to change the oil & filter, lube the chain, give it a good wash & wax and all the other little chores I do in order to store it right every year. It's worth a little time and travel for the extra peace of mind of having a full tank of (treated) ethanol-free gas in it for up to 5 months while it sits idle on stands in the shed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page