Honda unveils $184,000 motorcycle - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Honda unveils $184,000 motorcycle

Quote:
Exotic cars finally have some real competition in the toys for rich girls and boys department.

Honda has introduced a street-legal racing bike that goes on sale in July for the eye-popping price of $184,000.

The RC213V-S is based on Honda’s MotoGP championship winning motorcycle, and the two are so similar that Honda says they share about 80 percent of their parts.

Common components include a massive swingarm, Íhlins shocks, a slipper clutch, magnesium wheels, and Brembo brake calipers squeezing Yutaka rotors. The street version also features an aluminum frame, under-seat gas tank, and carbon fiber-reinforced plastic bodywork just like the race bike.

The powertrain is a 999cc V4 connected to a six-speed gearbox that’s close to the competition version, but replaces its pneumatic valve springs with steel springs. As a result, engine speed is reduced, but with an optional sport kit it will spin to 13,000 rpm and produce 212 hp.

That’s if you live in Europe or Australia where the kit’s available and the standard bike makes 156 hp at 11,000 rpm. Due to noise restrictions, apparently, US-bound RC213V-S will be restricted to 8,000 rpm, which equates to a relatively paltry 101 hp. Nevertheless, it’s equipped with adjustable power modes and engine-brake control, plus and a race-develoed traction control system.

The RC213V0-S is the most expensive street-legal production motorcycle ever offered by a major manufacturer, easily topping the recent $65,000 Ducati 1199 Panigale Superleggera and $50,000 300 hp Kawasaki H2R.

The order books open on July 12th, and only 200 are expected to be produced, which is nearly $37 million worth of motorcycles.
Do you think a bike should even be worth this much? I know I'd never buy one and pretty sure whoever does buy them will never get ridden and put away to be a collectors item. That seat looks really comfortable though.

Source - Honda unveils $184,000 motorcycle | Fox News

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2015, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Compared to Honda's cost to build their MotoGP bikes, $184,000 is a bargain. Still, at that price it's clear that Honda is looking to recoup some of the tooling costs that went into making parts & components for their MotoGP bikes. As for being ridden, I'm sure that most of those 200 bikes will have at least some amount of track miles/km's put on them. I wouldn't expect to see any commuters riding around on one with a Givi top box hanging off the tail cowl, though.

Even the most expensive exotic cars get driven, if only on a race track. Ferrari's latest offering is the 2015 FXX K... only 32 of these 1050 HP cars will be built (all 32 are already sold), at a reported price of $2.7 million USD. And if you happen to be one of those 32 owners (aka Client-Test Drivers), you don't even get to take the car home, as the cars remain in the custody of Ferrari S.p.A. at the Maranello factory...

You could buy 14 of those Honda RC213V-S bikes for the price of one FXX K, and still have some pocket change left.

Last edited by MotoMike; 06-14-2015 at 02:06 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-14-2015, 02:29 PM

Yeah, I think a lot of the money goes toward recouping R&D money, but a sand-casted crankcase is not cheap, not to mention the titanium con-rods.
And then there is the rest of the bike.

If Honda can make 200 of those bikes, I would think they could make a run of my fantasy Honda.

(no affilliation)

post #4 of 4 Old 06-15-2015, 01:46 AM

Garage
If Honda create enough hype over the bike then they'll sell them, just like the Ferrari in Mike's post. I'd never dream of owning either but there'll be enough folks out there who can buy items like those on a whim and the money they spend will be doing more good circulating in the economy than sitting idle in a bank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page