Honda CRF250 Rally Headed for Production - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 11-13-2015, 12:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stichill View Post
What kind of a nut would do that?

Probably one without an alternative. The bike is wearing PR4s, not dirt tires.

Keith likes this.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 11-13-2015, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Yeah, I doubt that's likely to happen. One reason... because the CRF450R & X models are full on competition bikes, and as such have no factory warranty. So while it sounds like it would be an awesome Dual Sport bike, a CRF450X with street legal lighting, etc., would be tough for Honda to sell with a warranty... those high maintenance 450 motors would not hold up very well to constant high RPM use like you'd have running down a freeway at 80 MPH for hours on end.
Also, the 450 motor as it sits would not meet EPA emissions standards for street use.
He says...again...

Mike, I hope you have that copied into a word document so you can copy & paste it every week.
Der Verge likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(no affilliation)
post #23 of 30 Old 11-13-2015, 05:54 AM

Garage
I'm sure it wouldn't be too big a task for Honda to modify their 450 single to make it suitable for road use but for the time being they appear to be committed to twins in the 400/500 class. European license restrictions have a maximum power to weight ratio in that class so there's no incentive there for Honda to produce as light a bike as they could either.

And to inject a little trivia to this discussion:
Yamaha and Suzuki also have history with 'Rally Replica' bikes on the domestic market with the TTR250 Raid and DR250 Djebel respectively.

For me the Suzuki was the pick with it's torquey yet free revving motor and generally lighter, crisper feel. The huge tank on the Yamaha gave it a range of 300+ miles although the poor design of the front mudguard made holding a straight line above 60mph something of a challenge. I had a couple of Djebels through the shop in pristine condition and it was with a degree of reluctance that I saw them go.

post #24 of 30 Old 11-13-2015, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,940 Posts
Sure, graded gravel roads are one thing... any bike can negotiate a maintained gravel road (with a competent rider), and it doesn't need knobby tires to do so. All I said in my previous post, is that riding a street bike like a CBR250R down a gravel road doesn't magically transform it into a D/S or Off-Road bike.

By definition, "Off Road" means not on a road. Whether it's paved, or it's a gravel surface, a road is a road. Obviously there is the exception of unmaintained forest roads, old twin track logging roads, etc. which are in such poor condition due to erosion, that despite being referred to as 'roads' they really qualify as Off Road in nature.

Now if John's CB500X, or Stichill's CBR250R managed to get to the same spot here where John's CRF230 is (and unscathed), that would be impressive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
[/URL]

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #25 of 30 Old 11-12-2016, 07:16 AM

Garage
CRF250 Rally

So it's finally been officially unveiled, and doesn't it look sweet.

The idea of a lightweight motorcycle with both touring and off road ability really appeals to me.

BUT.......

I remember the last time I tried touring on a dirt bike, a DR350 Suzuki I used to own.
Along the A39 north Devon coast road, 20 miles of 25% gradients, hairpin bends and uneven and battered tarmac it was brilliant. Without going silly I put 15 minutes between myself and a friend who was struggling with a lumbering old CB750 custom. The 100 or so miles from home to there was however, horrible. DR350s were never known for their plush seating but I can't be the only one to find that dirtbike ergonomics just don't work for extended periods on fast roads? So as much as I think the Rally looks absolutely gorgeous I'll be sticking with my CBR for now.
Schroeder likes this.
post #26 of 30 Old 11-12-2016, 09:05 AM

That thing looks really good. With a proper seat it might actually be of interest to me once the cbr throws it's wheels away....though that won't likely happen in the foreseeable future.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

post #27 of 30 Old 11-12-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Worth noting that both the CRF250L and the CRF250L Rally variant are available with ABS. Aside from the Dakar style body work and lighting, the Rally gets a larger 2.7 gallon fuel tank (2.1 gallon for the standard L model). The Rally will also have longer front & rear suspension travel over the standard L model. Both models get larger throttle bodies, revised air boxes, larger diameter head pipe and redesigned muffler, intended to improve low and mid-range power delivery.

U.S. market details here: 2017 CRF250L Overview - Honda Powersports

U.S. MSRP*:

2017 CRF250L ..................... $5099

2017 CRF250L ABS ............... $5399

2017 CRF250L Rally .............. $5899

2017 CRF250L Rally ABS ....... $6199

* Plus $320 destination charge.

post #28 of 30 Old 02-17-2017, 07:02 PM

Garage
Hoping to get an ABS version to replace my CBR. I can't wait to get back on 2 wheels again

Patiently waiting until I can ride again
post #29 of 30 Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Shouldn't be too long before they start arriving at dealerships... I would expect by late March or early April.

post #30 of 30 Old 02-19-2017, 05:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Shouldn't be too long before they start arriving at dealerships... I would expect by late March or early April.
Unfortunately I have to rehome my CBR and dig through the couch to find enough pennies to pick on up

Patiently waiting until I can ride again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page