Honda CRF250 Rally Headed for Production - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 11-09-2015, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Honda CRF250 Rally Headed for Production

From Visordown: Honda trademarks 'CRF250 Rally' name

Photos of the concept bike...

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 11-11-2015 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-10-2015, 06:18 AM

Interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 11-10-2015, 06:27 AM

Garage
Looks sweet, a reasonable alternative for those unwilling to drop 8k on a CCM.
Are the twin silencers really necessary? I'll concede they look better than trying to fit something the size of a CBR250R silencer under the seat, so maybe they are the best way?
shisoshin likes this.

post #4 of 30 Old 11-10-2015, 06:40 AM

Talking

Now I really like that. That thing with some street usable rubber could be an ultra versatile, and incredibly fun, machine for just about anything. Obviously the knobbies would be awesome for going out to find the end of the road, and beyond.
post #5 of 30 Old 11-10-2015, 09:43 AM

Garage
And, it still has the same "massive" 2 gallon gas tank?

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #6 of 30 Old 11-10-2015, 11:17 AM

I wonder how they will handle the then mandatory ABS in Europe from 2016 on. So far I haven't seen such a small bike with one that could be switched on and off like on some bigger models but I really can't imagine that they'll use one that's permanently on like on the CBR.

The bike itself looks sexy but seems to have a very narrow saddle so it might not be that much fun for touring.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 30 Old 11-10-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
And, it still has the same "massive" 2 gallon gas tank?
Hard to tell with the larger side panels, but it's possible that this Rally version may have a little more fuel capacity than that of the CRF250L model. If not, there is always the possibility of a larger aftermarket tank becoming available at some point. I know there are now larger tanks for the L on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I wonder how they will handle the then mandatory ABS in Europe from 2016 on. So far I haven't seen such a small bike with one that could be switched on and off like on some bigger models but I really can't imagine that they'll use one that's permanently on like on the CBR.

The bike itself looks sexy but seems to have a very narrow saddle so it might not be that much fun for touring.
I don't see this bike as being looked at by many buyers (at least knowledgeable buyers) as a 'touring bike'... this is a Dual Sport/ADV bike that is clearly intended for off road as it's primary use.

The tires alone say off road, or at least off of paved roads. I've been running those same Michelin T-63 DOT knobby tires on my XR650L, and I can say from first hand experience that while they work pretty well on hard to intermediate terrain trails and gravel road use, they wear far too quickly for primary use on paved roads. I consider the intended use for the Michelin T-63's to be about 15% on-road and 85% off-road.

post #8 of 30 Old 11-11-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
I don't see this bike as being looked at by many buyers (at least knowledgeable buyers) as a 'touring bike'... this is a Dual Sport/ADV bike that is clearly intended for off road as it's primary use.
While I tend to agree I thought the windshield and "Rally" designation meant for it to be ridden at higher speeds for longer time. That would be pretty much impossible here in Germany without sticking to paved roads but it might be a completely different thing in other parts of the world.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

post #9 of 30 Old 11-11-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I wonder how they will handle the then mandatory ABS in Europe from 2016 on. So far I haven't seen such a small bike with one that could be switched on and off like on some bigger models but I really can't imagine that they'll use one that's permanently on like on the CBR...
That's a good question... maybe Honda doesn't intend to fit an ABS system on a bike like this, and just not bring it into the EU. After all, Honda has the ABS equipped CRF1000L Africa Twin coming out this spring, and that is the bike that the core ADV riders are waiting and drooling over.

Also brings up the question of what will happen to the CRF250L & M models when the mandatory ABS takes effect in the EU? Will Honda fit ABS in order to continue those models in Europe, or will the CRF250's be dropped in that market.

I know that the CRF250L has been a very successful bike for Honda in the U.S., so perhaps the CRF250 Rally will only be available in those markets where ABS is not mandated.

post #10 of 30 Old 11-11-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Verge View Post
Now I really like that. That thing with some street usable rubber could be an ultra versatile, and incredibly fun, machine for just about anything. Obviously the knobbies would be awesome for going out to find the end of the road, and beyond.
You could certainly do that, as there are plenty of pavement oriented tires available in 21" and 18" sizes. Of course then you're compromising the off road capability of the bike in favor of street use.

As for these Michelin T-63 DOT street legal tires (which are fairly inexpensive as compared to other DOT legal knobbies, like the Metzeler's and Dunlop's) they've fitted on this CRF250 Rally, they do perform pretty well in terms of grip on pavement due to the shorter lug height, which also helps to make them fairly smooth in terms of felt vibrations. As I said in my previous post, the downside is that they just won't last very long for everyday use on pavement, due to their soft rubber compound.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page