1970 Honda CL450 Scrambler - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 07-23-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Thanks. Still have a long way to go to get it where I want it (VG, but not quite EX cond).

I wanted to confirm that the engine didn't have any major issues before spending any amount of time and money on it.

Looks like I'm good to go.
I'm glad that's the case! Good luck with the project, and please don't forget to update us on your progress.

Though they're not scramblers, I've seen a few CB500/CB750 Four from the 70's listed on my local Craigslist that I'm so tempted to pick up for a weekend project. The only thing keeping me is their high asking prices, since a lot of people are picking these up and turning them into cafe racers at the moment. I'd much prefer to keep everything as original as possible... There's just a nostalgic elegance to these bikes in the way they're originally designed that it'd be a shame to convert them into a cafe racer, especially if done poorly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 07-24-2017, 08:02 PM

In 1970 that was a BIG bike. I too lusted after this model from reading about it in my motorcycle mags. But I was only in 7th grade at the time. Could only dream...
Got one in the 80's (post above) and cleaned it up like yours. It ran perfectly for the time machine it was. I love your pipes and can't believe how good the seat looks.
Don't make my mistake and sell it anytime soon. Or if you do, please let me know!
Added: btw, I thought it was so cool that this 1970 model had electric start! I had replaced the kickstarter cause it was broke and thought I would need it, but the bike never failed to crank with the button after putting in a bit of work and parts.

Last edited by artstenn; 07-24-2017 at 08:06 PM. Reason: More info
post #13 of 13 Old 07-25-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Here are some of the photos that were lost to the Photofuckit debacle -

Before anything -

After a good wash -

Update 7/21/17 -

Cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, new plugs, set the points - and it fired right up!

Last time it ran was probably 20 years ago.

Electric starer was spinning, but not engaging so I kicked it over. Took about 4 or 5 kicks to fire up. Ran really well - idled smoothly and no smoke at all.

My 17 year old son was helping me. Last time it ran he wasn't even a twinkle...
Was a treat going through the pics. Thanks for sharing.

"Whatever it is, it's better in the wind"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page