Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums

Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums (https://www.cbr250.net/forum/)
-   Other Honda Motorcycles (https://www.cbr250.net/forum/other-honda-motorcycles/)
-   -   1970 Honda CL450 Scrambler (https://www.cbr250.net/forum/other-honda-motorcycles/64930-1970-honda-cl450-scrambler.html)

jkv357 05-23-2017 01:43 PM

1970 Honda CL450 Scrambler
 
Just starting on the next project - a 1970 CL450 Scrambler. Another bike I've owned for about 25 years that has been sitting in a garage here and there.

Before any clean-up -

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...psubgp2ukz.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...psu63zeuai.jpg

Looks like the chrome will polish-up pretty well -

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...psw8q2d2su.jpg

Gonna need tires and a few additional parts. The tank is varnished inside, but not rusted. Compression is good. 16,000 mi, After a good bath the carbs will need to come off and be ultrasonic cleaned and rebuilt. New seat cover, paint, and decals among other things.

shisoshin 05-23-2017 08:05 PM

memories of my blue cb450 [with dunstall megaphones].. with torsion bar valve control [needs good oil supply].. beautiful engine casting imo, with quality chrome responding well to goddards glo and that touch of fanaticism [which you have already achieved].. torsion bar torque after almost 50yrs could be a factor, ie, if you intend to ride this one...

jkv357 05-24-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shisoshin (Post 659650)
memories of my blue cb450 [with dunstall megaphones].. with torsion bar valve control [needs good oil supply].. beautiful engine casting imo, with quality chrome responding well to goddards glo and that touch of fanaticism [which you have already achieved].. torsion bar torque after almost 50yrs could be a factor, ie, if you intend to ride this one...

Because these tires are shot and will be replaced, this one will be ridden when completed.

jkv357 06-15-2017 10:30 PM

The CL got its first bath in about 25 or 30 years -

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...psuhmrho3h.jpg


http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps3vnybnif.jpg

Carb and petcock kits are here, so the carbs will come off and get cleaned and rebuilt. Last time it ran (20+ years ago), it was running on only one 1 cylinder. Hopefully a carb cleaning and new plugs will solve that. Probably check the points too.

Mufasa 06-16-2017 04:54 AM

Please take as many photos and show your progress. Love these bike restorations.
Good luck with the rebuild.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

artstenn 06-19-2017 09:16 PM

OMG!! I bought one just like this one in the 80's, for about 600 bucks. It was a 1970 model but stamped manufactured in '69. In about the same condition too. I rebuilt the carbs, replaced other small parts like the rectifier and exhaust gaskets, new tires, battery and it ran like new! I ended up trading it for a new '91 Honda 750 Nighhawk lol. Thanks for the memories!

jkv357 07-21-2017 10:21 AM

Here are some of the photos that were lost to the Photofuckit debacle -

Before anything -

http://i.imgur.com/RADJRKK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oGxiXTc.jpg

After a good wash -

http://i.imgur.com/BLnvYuk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/z0rKxVn.jpg


Update 7/21/17 -

Cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, new plugs, set the points - and it fired right up!

Last time it ran was probably 20 years ago.

Electric starer was spinning, but not engaging so I kicked it over. Took about 4 or 5 kicks to fire up. Ran really well - idled smoothly and no smoke at all.

My 17 year old son was helping me. Last time it ran he wasn't even a twinkle...

RevIt 07-23-2017 03:30 AM

Beautiful scrambler! She cleaned up real nice! Glad to hear it started up and idled smoothly.

jkv357 07-23-2017 12:23 PM

Thanks. Still have a long way to go to get it where I want it (VG, but not quite EX cond).

I wanted to confirm that the engine didn't have any major issues before spending any amount of time and money on it.

Looks like I'm good to go.

TrueFaith 07-23-2017 05:07 PM

Beautiful. Boy, does seeing that take me back. Honda Scramblers were the first bikes I really lusted after on the cusp of getting my license.

RevIt 07-23-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkv357 (Post 664153)
Thanks. Still have a long way to go to get it where I want it (VG, but not quite EX cond).

I wanted to confirm that the engine didn't have any major issues before spending any amount of time and money on it.

Looks like I'm good to go.

I'm glad that's the case! Good luck with the project, and please don't forget to update us on your progress.

Though they're not scramblers, I've seen a few CB500/CB750 Four from the 70's listed on my local Craigslist that I'm so tempted to pick up for a weekend project. The only thing keeping me is their high asking prices, since a lot of people are picking these up and turning them into cafe racers at the moment. I'd much prefer to keep everything as original as possible... There's just a nostalgic elegance to these bikes in the way they're originally designed that it'd be a shame to convert them into a cafe racer, especially if done poorly.

artstenn 07-24-2017 09:02 PM

In 1970 that was a BIG bike. I too lusted after this model from reading about it in my motorcycle mags. But I was only in 7th grade at the time. Could only dream...
Got one in the 80's (post above) and cleaned it up like yours. It ran perfectly for the time machine it was. I love your pipes and can't believe how good the seat looks.
Don't make my mistake and sell it anytime soon. Or if you do, please let me know!
Added: btw, I thought it was so cool that this 1970 model had electric start! I had replaced the kickstarter cause it was broke and thought I would need it, but the bike never failed to crank with the button after putting in a bit of work and parts.

pulsurge 07-25-2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkv357 (Post 663913)
Here are some of the photos that were lost to the Photofuckit debacle -

Before anything -

http://i.imgur.com/RADJRKK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oGxiXTc.jpg

After a good wash -

http://i.imgur.com/BLnvYuk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/z0rKxVn.jpg


Update 7/21/17 -

Cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, new plugs, set the points - and it fired right up!

Last time it ran was probably 20 years ago.

Electric starer was spinning, but not engaging so I kicked it over. Took about 4 or 5 kicks to fire up. Ran really well - idled smoothly and no smoke at all.

My 17 year old son was helping me. Last time it ran he wasn't even a twinkle...

Was a treat going through the pics. Thanks for sharing.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome