What next after CBR250R? - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 56 Old 10-03-2017, 09:03 AM

CBR250/300RR? Not quite a Super Sport, but sporty.

https://www.cbr250.net/forum/other-ho...n-markets.html

(if it ever shows up here...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 Old 10-03-2017, 11:25 AM

I've heard nothing but good reviews for the new Honda Rebels. Sort of expected, since they're not exactly re-inventing the wheel here and Honda usually has great success with new designs based on proven frames and power plants.
My only complaint is that I think it's butt ugly and the new tank design is a big part of that. Now I see that Yamaha is coming out with a new naked SXR700 that has the same ugly, sloping and elongated tank design as it's SXR900, both of which closely resemble the gas tank design of Honda's Rebels.
I sure hope this isn't a new styling trend. On naked bikes like these where the gas tank is the most prominent design element, if you get it wrong it can result in an entire segment of the bike's potential buyers not being able to see PAST that one unattractive feature, no matter how good the rest of the package is on paper.
post #13 of 56 Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Maybe... again depends on the rider. The CBR650F is a much bigger, heavier four cylinder bike, with about 60 more horse power than the 250R. For some it may be no big deal to transition to a 650F. For others it might be too much of a jump, both in terms of performance and size/weight.
I think the size, weight or displacement does not scare me. I've driven all kinds of bikes starting from 25cc, 50.. 80.. 100.. 150.. etc. I would like to transition to a bigger displacement for sure. One thing that I would like is a low seat height since I'm not that tall (5'5"). I turned my face and just walked away without even giving another look at the Africa Twin while I was at the showroom. Thought I would need a ladder or stool to get on it. Why get the embarrassment when its surely not my thing . Looks like my taste is towards sports or standard bikes. And the cruisers for its low seat height. If I can tip toe then its fine no matter how big a bike it is.

I thought I would get a super sports after the 250 when I purchased it, but the prices have jumped so high for the super sports. I couldn't believe 1000RR costs nearly 17 grand. Five years ago 600RR costed the same price of what CBR650R costs now. In fact if I remember the dealer was clearing 1000RRs for less than 10 grand when I purchased the 250r. I couldn't believe the inflation in costs. If I knew about this I might have bought a 600RR in the first place (and let it sit and rot ). With the current prices its not a good value proposition. I'm not desperate for that kind of speed (at that price). I'm desperate for what is sensible.

I don't have youtube channels, fancy blogs and a fan base. I have not done a MSF course either. I'm just an ardent motorcyclist.

Last edited by HPLover; 10-03-2017 at 03:37 PM.

post #14 of 56 Old 10-03-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
Very nice. I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

I don't have youtube channels, fancy blogs and a fan base. I have not done a MSF course either. I'm just an ardent motorcyclist.
post #15 of 56 Old 10-03-2017, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippplePPP View Post
Do you think its worth it to fix the bike no matter what for resale value?

I hate trading in to the dealer. You always get ripped doing that. CBR250 around 2012 go for about 2-2500 around here. I bought mine for 2300 and had I think about 4000 miles on it.
Time is the problem. I don't want to spend much time fixing it myself or selling it to a private party. I might use that time to make more to buy more toys like this . I have to toe the bike to the dealer in either case so thinking why not trade it for a woking motorcycle.

post #16 of 56 Old 10-03-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
CBR250/300RR? Not quite a Super Sport, but sporty.

https://www.cbr250.net/forum/other-ho...n-markets.html

(if it ever shows up here...)
Are these really available in US?

post #17 of 56 Old 10-03-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I've heard nothing but good reviews for the new Honda Rebels. Sort of expected, since they're not exactly re-inventing the wheel here and Honda usually has great success with new designs based on proven frames and power plants.
My only complaint is that I think it's butt ugly and the new tank design is a big part of that. Now I see that Yamaha is coming out with a new naked SXR700 that has the same ugly, sloping and elongated tank design as it's SXR900, both of which closely resemble the gas tank design of Honda's Rebels.
I sure hope this isn't a new styling trend. On naked bikes like these where the gas tank is the most prominent design element, if you get it wrong it can result in an entire segment of the bike's potential buyers not being able to see PAST that one unattractive feature, no matter how good the rest of the package is on paper.
I think it is for the same reason (odd tank design) the Rebel caught my eyes. Not sure if it looked ugly to my eyes, but definitely different.

post #18 of 56 Old 10-03-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLover View Post
Are these really available in US?
No, but they are available elsewhere (Indonesia mostly, where they are produced) as a 250 twin.

There have been rumors of bumping it to a 300 or 350 for the U.S. market (to compete with the R3, Ninja 300, RC390) but that's just wishful thinking at this point.
post #19 of 56 Old 10-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLover View Post
... I thought I would get a super sports after the 250 when I purchased it, but the prices have jumped so high for the super sports. I couldn't believe 1000RR costs nearly 17 grand. Five years ago 600RR costed the same price of what CBR650R costs now. In fact if I remember the dealer was clearing 1000RRs for less than 10 grand when I purchased the 250r. I couldn't believe the inflation in costs. If I knew about this I might have bought a 600RR in the first place (and let it sit and rot ). With the current prices its not a good value proposition. I'm not desperate for that kind of speed (at that price). I'm desperate for what is sensible.
Actually, a 2012 CBR600RRC had a MSRP of $11690 at that time... the 2017 CBR600RRH has an MSRP of $11799. So they really haven't gone up very much in 5 years. The 2017 CBR650F is at $8799 MSRP, so that's still a $3000 difference in price to the 2017 CBR600RRH.

As for non-current models, sure those bikes will sometimes be significantly discounted, particularly if sales for those models & years were "soft". In the case of the CBR600RR back in '10 - '12, those were some fairly tough sales years for that particular model... which caused Honda to at least contemplate discontinuing the 600RR altogether (that was a couple years ago). So, yeah, there were some very low prices back then for brand new, 1 to 2 year old 600RR's... I recall seeing a few non-current 2011 CBR600RR's for about $9500... but to compare those non-current blowout prices of 5 years ago to the MSRP for the current model of the same bike is like comparing apples to oranges.

Something else to keep in mind, is that when a manufacturer discounts new, 1,2, or even 3 year old non-current units, they do so not only to move them off the dealer showrooms, but also because those non-current units have in fact depreciated in value. And we've all seen how the availability of non-currents can affect the used resale value of the same model & year (at least temporarily). It's a fact that motorcycles depreciate in value, even the current model year bikes... the guy who paid $11799 for a 2017 CBR600RRH this past spring, and is now looking to sell that bike will find that the NADA average retail value for his bike is currently at $9360.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 10-03-2017 at 05:59 PM.
post #20 of 56 Old 10-03-2017, 08:39 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
bear in mind cbr600rr is made in japan, cbr650 first made in thailand
now made in india.. made as in assembled including indian brakes etc..

must say hplover we had 5 [homeborn] children, 2 delivered by me,
and incl stay-hme-dad for some time, yet still didnt stop me riding
my cb750 either to work and back [thru blue mts nsw aust]
or for general use and simply riding for pleasure..
including taking them as youngsters for careful rides
around the [quiet] block on the tank, which they loved..
[third daughter and both sons motorcyclists]

the only way [imo] is to be 'full time dad' full time,
thru to university or starting work, continuing
in a different role but still as their father,
friend, support and advisor..
ie, fatherhood lasts a lifetime..

riding is like any other coordinated skill,
in that regular practice develops whatever
experience or ability you have..
confidence is good, generally, but should also
include recognition of the need for practice,,
especially daily or regular general riding..

mention this as it seems you havent been riding
much for a couple of years, letting your bike rot..
anyway mate, just a word of caution about
starting again with a larger motorcycle..

the power lies in your right hand, and attitudes,
which might, not be, such a big difference,,
but the extra weight will be a new condition
for brain to re-learn/adapt to, after lighter bikes..

consider making your existing cbr250r roadworthy
again, get up to speed with normal riding skills etc,
then perhaps translate that into a bigger bike...
MotoMike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page