What next after CBR250R? - Page 4 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 56 Old 10-20-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
With the upcoming release of a new Ninja 400, I'm kind of wondering if Honda might just take the view of keeping the CBR300R in their line as is and unchanged for a few more model years. It might make sense, especially if Yamaha decides they need to keep pace with Kawasaki and also up the displacement/performance specs of the R3. In theory, that scenario could leave Honda with little or no competition in the sub 300cc entry-level first-time buyer segment, and thereby regain a big chunk of market share for that segment.

And let's face it, Kawasaki is making what would seem to be a very smart move. Who would be the targeted buyers for a new Ninja 400?... you guessed it, all those riders who've been on CBR250R/300R's, Ninja 250/300's, R3's, and are now wanting a next step up in displacement.
Yeah the next 18 months are going to be interesting times in this class. Kawasaki were the first to go to 300cc and now 400cc so they are getting the intial 'new segment' sales which seems to be working well for them.
Yamaha generally don't take long to do an update of models and I had thought they might have done to the R3 what they did to the R15 for 2018 which was to add a slipper clutch and inverted forks plus a bit of a facelift. Relatively easily done and no huge re-tooling costs but enough to eek out a few more sales of an existing model. No word yet on any changes though.

Yamaha R3 May Get Slipper Clutch and Upside-Down Fork

2013 CBR250R repsol (sold)
2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 10-21-2017, 02:43 AM

Garage
Also, Honda already has a trio of 471 cc bikes filling the old 450-500 cc niche that the other Japanese manufacturers seem to have abandoned.

I'm perfectly happy with my CB500XA as my street bike. It has returned over 68 mpg (US) for nearly 16K miles, and is comfortable touring.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #33 of 56 Old 10-21-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Big difference between the CB500X and the Rebel 500, they share the same engine, but that is where the similarity ends. Just depends on the style/type of riding you plan on doing. IMO the Rebel is basically an in-town street cruiser, whereas the CB500X is an Adventure Touring bike... @jsonder has owned a CB500X for the past few years, so maybe he'll post his first hand impressions of that bike.

Maybe... again depends on the rider. The CBR650F is a much bigger, heavier four cylinder bike, with about 60 more horse power than the 250R. For some it may be no big deal to transition to a 650F. For others it might be too much of a jump, both in terms of performance and size/weight.
Not to mention the cost difference from the 300r/500.

post #34 of 56 Old 10-23-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate all your suggestions. Ninja 400 sounds awesome. If it gets released I'll be glad to take a look.

Ok, there has been some development in the past three weeks. I got the 250r to start. Hurrah!!!

Got a shop manual for 2011 cbr250r (new and was cheap) and removed the tank. Fuel pump was blown out with all the rust and gunk inside the tank. Filled the tank with cleaning vinegar (Most people suggested apple cider vinegar, but vinegar is vinegar and the cleaning vinegar is a little stronger with 6% acid compared to 5% acid in apple cider). Let it sit for a whole week. Paint in edges of the fill nozzle started ripping, but no to a big deal. It got rid of most of the rust but not all. But I was satisfied by the result. Saved me $300. Gave it a bath treatment with Baking Soda + Distilled Water to neutralize the acid. Dried the tank completely (hair drier came in handy). A few suggested to use 2T oil to coat the inside of the tank from preventing it from getting rusting again while it sat before the fuel pump arrived, so did that. Installed the new fuel pump and the tank and filled it with gas and it fired up right away after running the fuel pump a couple of times by turning the ignition on and off.

I ordered the parts online and was way cheaper than what my local dealer was asking for. Also no tax. But I missed ordering the fuel pump gasket which the manual says to replace with a new one every time the fuel pump is removed. So have to get that part alone from the dealer.

Probably took a lot more time since I was being patient to learn the manual and take my own time to figure out how to get them all unassembled and assemble it back again. But the next time it should not take much time if there is a need. CBR250r survives for now.

I don't have youtube channels, fancy blogs and a fan base. I have not done a MSF course either. I'm just an ardent motorcyclist.
post #35 of 56 Old 10-25-2017, 04:49 AM

Garage
An update to my previous post:

Yesterday I had another demo on the Kawasaki Ninja 650. Because my original demo was a bit rushed and that bike ticks so many boxes on paper I thought I'd give it another chance. There's a lot to like about it. Physically it's not a lot bigger than my 250, the fairing works well and it's got enough go for far more confident overtaking. The throttle response at low revs is really quite good, bordering on jerky at very low engine speeds but as the needle gets further round the tacho it gets softer, lacking the immediacy of the MT07 or the Street Triple. The seat feels lower and softer than my CBR, giving a more upright riding position that felt quite comfortable and relaxed, but at low speeds without any wind pressure pushing me back I felt I was constantly sliding towards the tank. Seats can be altered but the big killer for me was the vibration. After half an hour of mixed riding my fingertips on both hands had gone numb and were visibly white when I took my gloves off. To be fair, being the wrong side of 50 and having spent far too long riding bicycles without using padded gloves doesn't help, but my CBR250R doesn't do that to me.

I really enjoyed the 30 mile ride home on the CBR and had to question why I'm spending time looking at other bikes.
The answer is that at the beginning of the year I promised myself that if I had a good year in my shop and met my self imposed targets I'd celebrate with something newer, faster and shinier. It has been a good year but finding something I like enough to open my wallet for seems to be the bigger challenge! First world problems...........
post #36 of 56 Old 10-25-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
An update to my previous post:

Yesterday I had another demo on the Kawasaki Ninja 650. Because my original demo was a bit rushed and that bike ticks so many boxes on paper I thought I'd give it another chance. There's a lot to like about it. Physically it's not a lot bigger than my 250, the fairing works well and it's got enough go for far more confident overtaking. The throttle response at low revs is really quite good, bordering on jerky at very low engine speeds but as the needle gets further round the tacho it gets softer, lacking the immediacy of the MT07 or the Street Triple. The seat feels lower and softer than my CBR, giving a more upright riding position that felt quite comfortable and relaxed, but at low speeds without any wind pressure pushing me back I felt I was constantly sliding towards the tank. Seats can be altered but the big killer for me was the vibration. After half an hour of mixed riding my fingertips on both hands had gone numb and were visibly white when I took my gloves off. To be fair, being the wrong side of 50 and having spent far too long riding bicycles without using padded gloves doesn't help, but my CBR250R doesn't do that to me.

I really enjoyed the 30 mile ride home on the CBR and had to question why I'm spending time looking at other bikes.
The answer is that at the beginning of the year I promised myself that if I had a good year in my shop and met my self imposed targets I'd celebrate with something newer, faster and shinier. It has been a good year but finding something I like enough to open my wallet for seems to be the bigger challenge! First world problems...........
How about the new Ninja 400 Keith?

Kawasaki unveil new-for-2018 Ninja 400 | MCN

2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400
post #37 of 56 Old 10-25-2017, 09:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
How about the new Ninja 400 Keith?

Kawasaki unveil new-for-2018 Ninja 400 | MCN
Probably not. If I'm going to spend out it'll be for something with a bigger motor. Not to go much faster but to have a far meatier bottom end and midrange. I'm a lazy rider and the idea of just being able to twist and go without screaming revs appeals to me. Finding a bike that does that without losing the agility and ease of handling of the CBR250R is the challenge.
The Tracer 700 is next on the demo list.
post #38 of 56 Old 10-25-2017, 09:23 AM

post #39 of 56 Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 AM

Sykes and Rea on the 400 with some footage from the shoot in Milwaukee and Road America -

post #40 of 56 Old 10-25-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Sykes and Rea on the 400 with some footage from the shoot in Milwaukee and Road America -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4SGc04THco
Well they certainly pulled the big names for that clip. I've just put two and two together and worked out that the filming of that clip worked in with the US round of the super bikes back in July at Laguna Seca. I did wonder why they did that film shoot so far ahead of the release time.

Fair chop to Kawasaki they didnt overdub the engine noise with an inline four sound (Honda!) but just masked it a bit under a whole lot of lound music and beating drums!
I see there is a factory option of a full titanium Akrapovic system. Could be the go depending on $$$

2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page