What next after CBR250R? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 10-01-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

What next after CBR250R?

I've had my 2012 CBR250RA for the past 5 years. Have not been riding the bike for a year or so and it wont start. Just replaced the battery but that won't get it going. Probably fuel pump failure and rust in tank. Cost of OEM parts alone comes out to around $500 (not including labor).

Thinking whether to spend the money to get it fixed by the dealer or to trade it as is for an upgrade. Not sure what I would get in trade for the bike with 4000 miles in current condition.

What options do I have now for an upgrade? I just walked in to the dealership this weekend after a few years to see what they got to offer and don't see much in stock as it used to be 5 years back. It is Southern Honda Motorsports, the largest dealership in the south east. Don't know what honda is going to announce in October but the dealership is running a big clearance event for everything in current stock.

I'm not ready for a super sport yet. So was interested in a bike in the 500, 650 or 700cc range. What options do I have? Or do I need to wait until October to see what Honda is releasing?

I don't have youtube channels, fancy blogs and a fan base. I have not done a MSF course either. I'm just an ardent motorcyclist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 10-01-2017, 11:01 PM

Garage
IMHO, if you have had the bike for 5 years and have ridden 4000 miles, you do not need a motorcycle.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #3 of 56 Old 10-02-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
IMHO, if you have had the bike for 5 years and have ridden 4000 miles, you do not need a motorcycle.
LOL. Hey, some of us aren't into the whole "iron butt" thing. I never seem to put in as many miles as I'd like on my bike every year, but I'd never, even consider being without one.
Out of the possibilities you mention, HPLover, I'd consider either a CBR500R or CB500F, but I think after comparing specs and prices I'd actually end up buying a Yamaha FZ-07. Wicked bang for the buck and a bike you wouldn't ever have to worry about outgrowing.
Keith likes this.

post #4 of 56 Old 10-02-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
Partly true. I put the 4000 miles in the first 3 years and have not been riding for a year or two due to having a kid and spending most of my time around him. As TrueFaith said, I wouldn't consider without a bike. And that too not living in TN, there are amazing roads to ride closer to me but so little time. But think the dad thing is getting past me and I need to get back into riding again .

I don't have youtube channels, fancy blogs and a fan base. I have not done a MSF course either. I'm just an ardent motorcyclist.
post #5 of 56 Old 10-02-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
LOL. Hey, some of us aren't into the whole "iron butt" thing. I never seem to put in as many miles as I'd like on my bike every year, but I'd never, even consider being without one.
Out of the possibilities you mention, HPLover, I'd consider either a CBR500R or CB500F, but I think after comparing specs and prices I'd actually end up buying a Yamaha FZ-07. Wicked bang for the buck and a bike you wouldn't ever have to worry about outgrowing.
I looked at the CBx500x while at the dealership and that seemed to be a good choice. Any news of them getting a facelift in Oct?

Have to take a look at FZ-07.

post #6 of 56 Old 10-02-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

How about the Rebel 500? The new one looks a lot better and caught my eyes. Not bad at all. Has anyone got one? Any words?

post #7 of 56 Old 10-02-2017, 10:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLover View Post
How about the Rebel 500? The new one looks a lot better and caught my eyes. Not bad at all. Has anyone got one? Any words?

Isnít the 650F a good option after 250R?
post #8 of 56 Old 10-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
I looked at the CBx500x while at the dealership and that seemed to be a good choice. Any news of them getting a facelift in Oct?

Have to take a look at FZ-07.
Quote:
Big difference between the CB500X and the Rebel 500, they share the same engine, but that is where the similarity ends. Just depends on the style/type of riding you plan on doing. IMO the Rebel is basically an in-town street cruiser, whereas the CB500X is an Adventure Touring bike... @jsonder has owned a CB500X for the past few years, so maybe he'll post his first hand impressions of that bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamragesh006 View Post
Isn’t the 650F a good option after 250R?
Maybe... again depends on the rider. The CBR650F is a much bigger, heavier four cylinder bike, with about 60 more horse power than the 250R. For some it may be no big deal to transition to a 650F. For others it might be too much of a jump, both in terms of performance and size/weight.
shisoshin likes this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #9 of 56 Old 10-02-2017, 04:45 PM

Garage
Cb500xa

I like dirt riding but, at 75, it has to be a light bike. Hence I ride a 270 pound, street legal CRF230L for my off road rambles.

When I bought the CRF in 2009, I demoted my NX250 to become my street bike. It did the job, but after 5 years of being the main means of transportation, I wanted bit more highway passing capability and ABS for aging hands that were not as sensitive as they had been.

I've had the bike a bit over 3 years. It is too heavy and the front shocks leave much to be desired. I went cheap and installed Hagon fork springs for $100 and am satisfied with the bike (RR now sells just their level 1 front suspension package alone, and that should be a much better solution).

Basically it is a modern UJM. The seating is similar to an enduro or dual sport. The bike will cruise all day at 80 mph, it is fun in the twisties, it runs on regular gasoline so no problems when you get way off of the beaten path, and is reliable.

Doing the valve adjustment is a nasty work as you have to pull the gas tank and an electrical board that is under the tank and above the engine. You want to buy the shop manual if you plan on doing more than minimal basic maintenance. Parts are reasonably inexpensive and dealers are common.

I intend to ride this bike until it becomes too heavy for me to manage comfortably, as I really love it, despite it having been built to a price point. Plus I've averaged 68.9 mpg for over the 15K miles that I have tracked it. I installed iridium spark plugs when I redid the valve shims as I intend to ride it for quite a while.

shisoshin likes this.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

Last edited by jsonder; 10-02-2017 at 07:33 PM. Reason: add picture
post #10 of 56 Old 10-02-2017, 08:23 PM

Do you think its worth it to fix the bike no matter what for resale value?

I hate trading in to the dealer. You always get ripped doing that. CBR250 around 2012 go for about 2-2500 around here. I bought mine for 2300 and had I think about 4000 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page