Why This 250cc Engine Have Long Lifecycle ? - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 10:31 AM

Speaking of KTM, I was pretty surprised to see the problems that Ari Henning of Motorcyclist magazine had with the RC390 he converted into a track-only bike a while back. How often do you see a blown head gasket on a fairly new modern motorcycle? And apparently it wasn't a one-off since other RC390 owners were complaining about similar problems with their bikes.
Supposedly KTM is addressing the issue, but considering how trouble-free most modern bikes are these days it's a reminder that poor design and manufacturing is still possible and the caveat about buying a 1st model year bike still has some validity to it even today.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/l...-gasket-repair
B7ACKTHORN likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 11:34 AM

Garage
One of our UK mags did a long term review of the KTM390 a couple of years back and reported very poor corrosion resistance. They described the welding as having been done by 'someone who isn't a welder'.
B7ACKTHORN likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Speaking of KTM, I was pretty surprised to see the problems that Ari Henning of Motorcyclist magazine had with the RC390 he converted into a track-only bike a while back. How often do you see a blown head gasket on a fairly new modern motorcycle? And apparently it wasn't a one-off since other RC390 owners were complaining about similar problems with their bikes.
Supposedly KTM is addressing the issue, but considering how trouble-free most modern bikes are these days it's a reminder that poor design and manufacturing is still possible and the caveat about buying a 1st model year bike still has some validity to it even today.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/l...-gasket-repair
I've ridden a RC390 a bit, and the one I've ridden is on its second engine. The first blew a cam chain with a KTM service tech aboard during a test ride to sort an nagging issue with shutting-off and not restarting when hot.

KTM did replace the engine for free and included the required maintenance that had already been done.

I found the RC engine to be too dull for me, though the chassis and handling were excellent. As soon as the corners started you forgot about the engine.

post #14 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
About ten years ago, when motocross switched from using 250 two strokes to 450 four stroke motors I was hoping that some of that technology would be used to create a lightweight, road going single with 40-50bhp. so far only KTM have shown any inclination to go down that route.
No doubt the current crop of 450cc four stroke motocross engines are a testament to the kind of power & performance can be achieved from a mid sized single cylinder. However, those engines are not built to withstand sustained operation over time at higher RPM's, which is a primary consideration for a road going bike. They are very "high strung" purpose built motors, where motocross & supercross tracks rarely demand more than 5 to 10 seconds of WOT over the longest straights before a rider is backing off for a tight corner, or when in mid-air over a big jump.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #15 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 06:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
No doubt the current crop of 450cc four stroke motocross engines are a testament to the kind of power & performance can be achieved from a mid sized single cylinder. However, those engines are not built to withstand sustained operation over time at higher RPM's, which is a primary consideration for a road going bike. They are very "high strung" purpose built motors, where motocross & supercross tracks rarely demand more than 5 to 10 seconds of WOT over the longest straights before a rider is backing off for a tight corner, or when in mid-air over a big jump.
I'd still have thought they could be detuned/refined/developed into 40-50bhp units with the required durability for road use. KTM and Ducati's big twins make well over 100bhp per litre from similar or larger cylinders.
post #16 of 18 Old 11-14-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
One of our UK mags did a long term review of the KTM390 a couple of years back and reported very poor corrosion resistance. They described the welding as having been done by 'someone who isn't a welder'.
KTM needs to improve it's quality control. Stuff like that mustn't happen. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to outsource to India.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 18 Old 11-21-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
KTM needs to improve it's quality control. Stuff like that mustn't happen. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to outsource to India.
BMW outsourced to India also for their G310. :/
post #18 of 18 Old 07-12-2018, 05:13 AM

Garage
I eyed off the ktm390 before I bought the CBR and the local research showed way to many problems and 3 for sale with blown low mileage motors over a couple of months.That sort of rubbish will kill a bikes reputation quick fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page