User Tag List

4Likes
  • 3 Post By MotoMike
  • 1 Post By jsonder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-07-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Low mileage on 2008 used bike???

Quick question.

I'm looking on craigslist for used CBR600rr bikes. I have messaged with a decent person who has a 2008 CBR600rr that I like but it has 2,000 miles on it. Is this a bad thing or a good thing? All other adds I see have 10,000-18,000 on them. Also the person is looking for about $5k for the bike yet KBB states the bikes worth $4.5k.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-08-2018, 08:52 AM

The question is, did somebody with such low enthusiasm for the bike take proper care of it over the last 10 years? How many previous owners, how is it stored? Are the tires flat from standing, is there rust in the tank and so on. Did his enthusiasm for the bike die because he went down with it... All those questions need to be asked.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-08-2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

With this bike the seller bought the bike new in 2008 and stated he "doesn't have time to ride the bike often." Which makes me think he will ride it here and there with would not be a bad thing. And he says the bike was garage kept.

I've been researching and some people states that rubber sealed part may dry out if not used frequently. But perhaps a garage kept bike might be better off.

I'm in no rush but might check the bike out at some point. I've also been researching what to look for in low mileage older bikes.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
One thing you can definitely plan on is replacing the tires. Despite the low mileage on those original tires, time has run out on the rubber.
jkv357, tegs and Das Chicken like this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #5 of 8 Old 07-08-2018, 02:09 PM

Garage
All new fluids for sure as well.

Personally, I suspect that the purchaser was already middle aged when he bought it and found it too uncomfortable to ride often.
tegs likes this.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #6 of 8 Old 07-08-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
All new fluids for sure as well.

Personally, I suspect that the purchaser was already middle aged when he bought it and found it too uncomfortable to ride often.
Or he got scared of the raw power... Maybe it was his first bike and he never had any training...All speculation of course.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

post #7 of 8 Old 07-09-2018, 06:31 PM

Garage
In my experience a lot of people buy bikes with good intentions but never find the time in their lives to use them much or do that long promised 'big trip'. It took me three years to find the four days I took to do my Scotland trip last year.
What you need to find out is how the bike has been stored, how regularly it has actually been used and when it has been serviced.

No use can lead to dried out seals. Lots of cold starts and short journeys can lead to more internal wear than higher mileage 'sensible' use.
I've read that CBR600s are easily capable of 100000 miles if properly looked after so I wouldn't place too much emphasis on mileage in your buying decision, especially if the asking price is on the high side.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-09-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippplePPP View Post
Quick question.

I'm looking on craigslist for used CBR600rr bikes. I have messaged with a decent person who has a 2008 CBR600rr that I like but it has 2,000 miles on it. Is this a bad thing or a good thing? All other adds I see have 10,000-18,000 on them. Also the person is looking for about $5k for the bike yet KBB states the bikes worth $4.5k.

What do you think?
$4700 to $5500 is normal used pricing for 10,000-18,000 mile 2007-09 CBR600RR motorcycles throughout Colorado, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. I've been keeping a lookout for an ABS model to come along for the right price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page