4Likes
  • 1 Post By cbrlocal
  • 1 Post By shisoshin
  • 1 Post By Lexstar828
  • 1 Post By StillwaterCBR250R

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-04-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Any opinions on the FZ-07

Well I have been riding Zippy for two years now and I love her (I think she loves me too). She improved my riding skills and kept me safe even when she got scratched up. Runs with no issues (just hit the 10k mark), but it lacks a little bit on the run. For NYC traffic there's no better, but when it's time to ride upstate on the freeways, I get left behind (well not really, my friends wait for me).

Initially I wanted a CB500F, but my credit and lack of cash has led me to the 250. Recently I had a chance to ride my buddy's FZ-07 and it feels like my next one up.

Does anyone have anything positive / negative to say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-04-2015, 03:58 PM

Considering this bike will break the speed limit in any state, and you got left behind by your friends, I'd find some different riding friends.

That being said, the FZ07 is a wonderful machine. If insurance wasn't so high for me to ride it, and the gas mileage didn't suck so bad (still apparently better than the R3, and twice the bike!), I'd definitely have one in my stable.

Very maneuverable, lightweight, flickable, and torque torque torque.
CBR250R likes this.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-04-2015, 04:40 PM

Garage
I rode one a couple of weeks ago. If you can live without a fairing it's a great bike. The motor has INSTANT pull from any revs. 2000rpm in top and it still pulls hard. After exiting a roundabout near the end of my ride I was behind two cars and was doing 40 in 5th when a large enough gap in the oncoming traffic appeared. I cracked the throttle open and by the time I was past them and pulling in I looked at the speedo to see I was up in the mid nineties.

The only downside of the bike I can see is that with all that instant torque on tap you'll have to possess a lot of self restraint not to be regularly leaving car drivers muttering "bloody lunatic" as you disappear into the distance. It's well known that power corrupts...........

post #4 of 8 Old 08-04-2015, 07:51 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
higher power means a new package
incl steering geometry, extra weight,
different tyres, gearing etc..

power being the main variable within
your general riding coordination skills..
with significantly higher power
comes the need for relearning of
coordination already etched in brain..

its not [or shouldnt be] a matter of simply
jumping on the high power motorcycle
and 'whoopee'...

that effective high speed overtaking ability
doesnt know how to moderate itself,
when riding in traffic in the wet etc..
thats down to you to understand
and learn, as if a new rider..

in the right hands of course
power can be, a life saver..
live_to_ride likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-04-2015, 09:53 PM

If you want to go Yamaha and lack of ABS is not a concern...perhaps seriously consider a YZF-R3 with an immediate change to better rubber included in the budget up front. The increase in power is substantial and would address the highway running concerns.

I think the Fizz Naught Seven is a great bike and surprisingly light weight for a 700cc, with a big bump in power over the CBR and the R3. The main reason to go for that power, however, is not highway riding but two-lane passing power. There is a certain comfort in flicking the right wrist and rocketing safely past a rolling roadblock in the shortest possible span of time.

CBR250R: 26 HP, 337 lbs / 153 kg, wheelbase 53.9 in / 1369mm, rake 2 deg, trail 3.9 in / 98.6mm

YZF-R3: 37 HP, 368 lbs / 167 kg, wheelbase 54.3 in / 1379mm, rake 25 deg, trail 3.7 in / 94mm

FZ-07: 66 HP, 379 lbs / 172 kg, wheelbase 55.0 in / 1397mm, rake 24.8 deg, trail 3.5 in / 88.9mm
post #6 of 8 Old 08-05-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.
I understand that the power would be much greater and I do realize that I would need to readjust/re learn some things. I'm not a crazy speed guy, and not about overtaking. I like to ride in a formation and just maintain it. I have tried the R3 when I went riding with a buddy of mine, but I didn't really like it much. I didn't like how it handles (maybe it's just the stock tires).
The naked look is a plus and my Zippy doesn't have ABS as well. The FZ07 has a wider, more straight handle bars and I think that adds to the ability to maneuver better around all these crappy roads we have here. A friend has a FZ07 which hopefully he will let me try. Thanks for the feedback fellas
Keith likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-11-2015, 09:34 PM

The power of the 07 appears to be well-delivered and quite manageable. When I went from a dualsport 350 to my first "bigger bike," I bought a brand new FZR600 (1991).
I remember riding it home waiting to be thrilled by the higher power in town, and was quite disappointed... until I realized that NOTHING happened until 6000 rpm, and then it all happened at once.
Interestingly, it was only about 75hp, but all on top.
The 07 seems to deliver much more evenly, and would have a torque curve that isn't too foreign for a person used to the 250R. Just 3x the juice!
I've had a bunch of bikes and am back to the 250R because of it's elegant simplicity
Keith likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-12-2015, 10:36 AM

The lack of a fairing for the freeway killed it for fun. The FZ07 is overdue for fairings. I also did not like the wide handlebars and too upright riding position. I would love to have this motor in the R3. That would be more than amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page