Salvage title? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-02-2015, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Salvage title?

Your thoughts?

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...85&RowNumber=0

It says the vehicle starts and there is a picture of working console. Points of impact are front and right side. All I see is a busted rear mirror. I don't see any other damage that would cause insurance to total this beauty out?

Mindspin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 CBR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-02-2015, 04:25 PM

I will never buy a motorcycle with a salvage title. Period. Too much trickery and ambiguity as to the true condition of a bike.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-02-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

True...but...it's such a great bike....<drool>

Mindspin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 CBR250R

post #4 of 14 Old 09-02-2015, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindspin View Post
Your thoughts?

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...85&RowNumber=0

It says the vehicle starts and there is a picture of working console. Points of impact are front and right side. All I see is a busted rear mirror. I don't see any other damage that would cause insurance to total this beauty out?
Look at the photo showing the side view of the front wheel... it's pushed way back into the lower cowl. Based on that photo, I'd guess that the force of impact was taken by both the front forks and the frame.

No doubt there are a lot of parts & components (including the engine) that were untouched in the crash and perfectly usable. But in terms of anyone buying that bike as a "repairable", it's not possible without putting more money into it than it's worth.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-03-2015, 04:27 PM

Maybe if you could gets t cheap, but the majority of the front end, frame andy possibly the engine are messed up.
You won't get a quick fix bike out of this one.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-03-2015, 04:34 PM

Doesn't that answer all questions?

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

post #7 of 14 Old 09-03-2015, 10:26 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Doesn't that answer all questions?
Not really

In case, the engine is running, and the oil stays inside, it is tellin only, that in a Ducati place, changing frame, fork, .... cost with WORK more as a new bike.
The insurance 'bought' the bike, with a new one.

Economically, its a total loss.

Ducati is kind of a private hospital, not like the friendly old doc, around the corner. They know, you have, they want all of it.

So it only depends on how much you have to pay.
How strong the need of a winter hobbie is and how much you can do the job.

Check prices for frame, fork, rim, ...,
b/c your cost will aproxymate be the buy plus 'only' the price of the new parts.

Done that, been there.
In the 80's, I bought a last model 1000 RX, <1000km on odo, which had stucked in the side door of a car.
For really little money.
With all the new parts and getting the number stamped at a Kawasaki dealer, I paid about half of the value of the bike.

Disclaimer:
Can contain irony and/or sarcasm

post #8 of 14 Old 09-04-2015, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Wow, great eye, Motomike - now that you mention it, that is a GLARING problem. The whole rake is completely different than normal, which means front suspension is TOTALLY screwed.

There's a Panigale out there somewhere with my name on it though.....preferable with a clean title!

Mindspin

2011 CBR250R
post #9 of 14 Old 09-04-2015, 04:56 PM

I feel that repair price is slightly I misunderstood. That price represents what it would cost to repair the bike at a factory certified shop using all brand new parts and paying the mechanics full rate labor at $100 some dollars per hour. You privately could repair that bike, assuming you have the knowledge and skill, for much much less than that listed price of $18,000. I just hope you know what you're doing.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-04-2015, 05:10 PM

@Cbr-250-R & Der Verge

I know that that is the price one would have to pay at a shop but even then it says something about the extend of the damage which seems to be massive at such costs. This is not just a bent fork and fender but pretty much a complete rebuild.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page