SUZUKI GSX250R Coming To US in 2017 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-25-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

SUZUKI GSX250R Coming To US in 2017

Geez, Suzuki....sure took you long enough.
Suzuki finally joins the small sportbike fray in 2017 with the GSX250R. And it's just as sharp-looking as you'd expect.

Suzuki Confirms The New GSX250R Will Come To The States For 2017 | Cycle World
The Following User Says Thank You to TrueFaith For This Useful Post:
CBRogers (11-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-26-2016, 07:19 AM

Garage
It looks nice but that's about it. The claimed 392lbs (178kg) is 13kg more than Honda claim for the CBR and the claimed power is about the same for both. If there was a gun to my head forcing me to change my CBR250R for something else Kawasaki's 29bhp, 150kg Ninja 250 SL would be far higher up my list.
I know 250s have to be built to a budget but if the Japs can build litre bikes with 150+bhp that weigh little more than 200kg for the price of a family car then surely there's no excuse for a 250 weighing 178kg?
shisoshin and kiwi rider like this.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-09-2017, 11:55 PM

post #4 of 23 Old 09-10-2017, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stichill View Post
We've had this bike down here in New Zealand for a while now but it hasn't been breaking any sales records. I'm guessing the GW250 motor they robbed for this bike could not be physically bored and/or stroked to 300cc so it's a bit of a lone wolf in a class of its own. But it's priced well and looks the part so I'm guessing it would appeal to someone getting their first commuter bike or such like.
From a more experienced small bike riders point of view it's under powered, overweight and too softly sprung.
shisoshin and Keith like this.

2013 CBR250R repsol (sold)
2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400
post #5 of 23 Old 09-10-2017, 06:37 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
where does the ignition key go [?]

gave me a headache that white one with broken up lines,,
but all good with the all black model, which looks like
a cbr250r with an added 'S' badge in basic design..

and tappets to play with...
post #6 of 23 Old 09-10-2017, 08:29 PM

Yeah doesn't seem too impressive, especially coming seven years after the CBR250R. Would have generated more interest perhaps as a high-revving twin and built to be a baby Gixxer, e.g. GSX-R250.
kiwi rider likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-14-2017, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stichill View Post
Yeah doesn't seem too impressive, especially coming seven years after the CBR250R. Would have generated more interest perhaps as a high-revving twin and built to be a baby Gixxer, e.g. GSX-R250.
The long delay of this bike is almost unforgivable for Suzuki's development and marketing team.
You certainly don't see Japanese companies making blunders like this too often.
With it's parallel twin, longer wheelbase and higher seat height, I would have definitely considered this bike when the competition in the quarter-liter bike class wasn't as fierce as it is now and it's good looks may have been the swaying factor.
As you say though Stichill, after 7 years of the CBR250R and with companies as diverse as KTM and BMW with skin in the game.....not so much.
post #8 of 23 Old 09-14-2017, 09:40 AM

A SOHC 250cc twin in a "GSXR"...in 2017? Wake up Suzuki!

They included "Katana" in the name as well, so as to excuse themselves from giving it competitive power and weight.

What were they thinking? It's too expensive, down on power, up on weight, and doesn't fit anywhere in the small bike market.

I have 2 older Suzukis (SV650s - 1st and 2nd gens) that I like a lot and don't plan to sell anytime soon, but the "new" SV650 doesn't even appeal to me. The messed it up when they decided to go to a "Gladius", and tried to redeem themselves by bringing back the SV - which is more Gladius than SV. I'd by the FZ-07 before the new SV.

Suzuki is in the pits right now if you ask me.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-14-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the marketing for this bike is as badly confused as the untenable delay in it's release.
Branded as a "GSX", but a company spokesperson warns us not to call it a "Gixxer". Instead, we're supposed to consider it's heritage to belong to the Katana line because of it's.... "dependability". Huh???
The first question on everyone's mind is "why isn't this a 300cc?", so right off the bat you're asking yourself what's the point?
The more I read about this model, the more I wonder if it may turn out to be the first official failure of a 250cc release in a decade since the small displacement class took off again with the release of the new-gen Ninja 250R.
Could this be the first 250 to be discontinued after it's first model year sales results finally reach Japan?
Like the Burger King ad says "Somebody's going to get fired for this."
post #10 of 23 Old 09-14-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Yeah, the marketing for this bike is as badly confused as the untenable delay in it's release.
Branded as a "GSX", but a company spokesperson warns us not to call it a "Gixxer". Instead, we're supposed to consider it's heritage to belong to the Katana line because of it's.... "dependability". Huh???
The first question on everyone's mind is "why isn't this a 300cc?", so right off the bat you're asking yourself what's the point?
The more I read about this model, the more I wonder if it may turn out to be the first official failure of a 250cc release in a decade since the small displacement class took off again with the release of the new-gen Ninja 250R.
Could this be the first 250 to be discontinued after it's first model year sales results finally reach Japan?
Like the Burger King ad says "Somebody's going to get fired for this."
I thought it was a "GSX250R" in the same manner as a "GSX1000R" - with "Katana" tagged on at the end to cover all the bases.

They want the race-winning reputation (and look) of the GSXR, but with the downgraded performance of the Katana.

Can't have both.
TrueFaith likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page