7Likes
  • 2 Post By kiwi rider
  • 2 Post By MotoMike
  • 2 Post By kiwi rider
  • 1 Post By TrueFaith

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-06-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400

Ninja400Riders.com - The Largest Kawasaki Ninja 400 Enthusiast Forum, Community And Owner's Club

This bike is now listed on the Kawasaki USA website in ABS and non-ABS variants.
https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/20...00-KRT-Edition

For those wanting more detail or discussion the forum address is Kawasaki Ninja 400 Forum

2013 CBR250R repsol (sold)
2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2017, 04:46 PM

And it only took 5 years....

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-06-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
And it only took 5 years....
Maybe it's a case of good things come to those who are patient? We will see, I ordered one on Monday.
TrueFaith and jkv357 like this.

2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400

post #4 of 9 Old 12-06-2017, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
I just moved the previous posts from that other older thread, as that thread was speculation about an entirely different Ninja 400.
TrueFaith and kiwi rider like this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #5 of 9 Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Exciting to finally see it for sale on Kawasaki's US website.
I really hope this Ninja 400 launches well here and other companies, especially Yamaha, follow suit with their own 400cc bikes.
Being marketed differently from the Ninja 250 & 300 as a little less of a "beginner friendly" bike, I'm really hoping the slightly taller seat height of the Ninja 400 is maintained by other manufacturers while retaining the forward pegs and "upright" seating position.
I was really crushed by the diminutive feel of Yamaha's R3 compared to my CBR250R. A slightly taller seat - even by just a few cc's - on a Yamaha 400 would be all it would take to get me back onto a Yamaha again.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Exciting to finally see it for sale on Kawasaki's US website.
I really hope this Ninja 400 launches well here and other companies, especially Yamaha, follow suit with their own 400cc bikes.
Being marketed differently from the Ninja 250 & 300 as a little less of a "beginner friendly" bike, I'm really hoping the slightly taller seat height of the Ninja 400 is maintained by other manufacturers while retaining the forward pegs and "upright" seating position.
I was really crushed by the diminutive feel of Yamaha's R3 compared to my CBR250R. A slightly taller seat - even by just a few cc's - on a Yamaha 400 would be all it would take to get me back onto a Yamaha again.
The seat height of the Ninja 400 is the same as the old 300 at 785 mm (30.9 in).
So only 5mm higher than the CBR250R but i guess it all helps if you are a taller rider?

Yes Kawasaki seem to be pushing the 'sporty' line of marketing which is fine by me as I'm a predominately a sports rider but raising the bars and bringing the pegs forward is kinda contradictory to a sporty riding position. I'm already wondering whether there will be enough clearance between the top of the fairing side panels and the bars if I put then under the top yoke.
Will also need rear sets but initial availability of aftertmarket parts may be an issue if they have changed the mounting points from what the 300 had. Likely because it's a whole new design of frame.
Lots to think about at the moment.
TrueFaith and shisoshin like this.

2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400
post #7 of 9 Old 12-08-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
The seat height of the Ninja 400 is the same as the old 300 at 785 mm (30.9 in).
So only 5mm higher than the CBR250R but i guess it all helps if you are a taller rider?

Yes Kawasaki seem to be pushing the 'sporty' line of marketing which is fine by me as I'm a predominately a sports rider but raising the bars and bringing the pegs forward is kinda contradictory to a sporty riding position. I'm already wondering whether there will be enough clearance between the top of the fairing side panels and the bars if I put then under the top yoke.
Will also need rear sets but initial availability of aftertmarket parts may be an issue if they have changed the mounting points from what the 300 had. Likely because it's a whole new design of frame.
Lots to think about at the moment.
Oh yeah, just a few mms added to a seat can make a world of difference to a taller rider on any sub-600cc bike. Same for peg & handlebar position.
Using one of these ergonomics widgets I listed all the measurements of the available 250s and it became pretty evident why I like the seating position of my CBR250R so much over the R3 or Ninja 250R.

Motorcycle Ergonomics

I don't think you'll have to wait very long for aftermarket parts for the Ninja 400 to start showing up. A few years ago when I bought one of the first new-gen Ninja 250Rs in my area I volunteered to take it over to Woodcraft Technologies in Winchendon, MA (which is not far from me) so they could take measurements of it to use in manufacturing clip-ons and rearsets for the new model. Spent the afternoon there while they dis-assembled a goodly portion of my new bike and measured everything with micrometers. The first Ninja 250Rs sold out pretty quickly here, but I think they got the new clip-ons and rearsets to market by the time the dealerships restocked the bike later that year. Woodcraft makes some awesome (if pricey) products, but they're well aware that the faster you get them to market the more you'll sell. Especially if you're the first one to market with a good clip-on or rearsets for a new model bike.
Really looking forward to hearing your first impressions of the Ninja 400 when it arrives. I think I'll wait at least another riding season on the CBR250R before I jump at a Ninja 400, just to see how the market shakes out and see if Yamaha takes the bait. I was really kicking myself for buying one of the first black 2011 CBR250Rs off the dealers truck when the very next year Honda came out with the Repsol Special Edition color scheme. Kawasaki seems to love introducing "special edition" bikes lately and if Yamaha takes it's sweet time as usual I'd like to have at least a couple of years of different color schemes available if I decide I'm sick of waiting and spring for a Ninja 400....lol.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-08-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

@TrueFaith Thanks for that, will keep you posted for a review but by the time I get mine down here there will be reviews on U tube etc I'm sure.

I had Woodcraft clip ons on my Repsoil 250R and I could see the quality in them. I then bought Vortex ones for the CBR300 but they weren't as good.

2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400
post #9 of 9 Old 12-09-2017, 09:45 AM

Those YouTube reviews probably won't have the perspective of a rider coming from a CBR250R to the Ninja 400 and that's what I'm interested to hear.
So don't go running off to KawiForums when you get the new bike before dropping a review here for us.
Yeah, I've always been impressed by Woodcraft products. Even more so now that I've seen their operation, which is basically just a big garage in the middle of the woods in Central Massachusetts. It was nice to meet such a small group of people so dedicated to the research and development of quality performance products for motorcyclists. Even us "low end" and "beginner bike" CBR250R enthusiasts.
kiwi rider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page