Riding this bike is harder than I thought! - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 108 Old 07-22-2012, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Riding this bike is harder than I thought!

CBR250R ABS, Red

My riding experience: MSF course 2 years ago.

Physicality: 5'5", 28"-29" inseam, 135-140 lbs. Tip-toeing on both feet.

Bought this bike today brand new, 0 miles for $5400 OTD. The plan was to slowly start riding in the neighborhood, but it was too intimidating, as I was having trouble starting from a stop (it's been 2 years). Moved the bike back to the side of the house to get some practice.

There was just enough room to go 4mph, but my focus point was trying to get a smooth lift off. I tend to wobble left and right when I get my feet off the ground. I know speed (not enough throttle?) and my body position is a big factor, as my wrist is hurting right now. Also trying to get the clutch and throttle control working in sync.

This was in 100 degree weather, mind you, so I probably got in only 1.5 hours of practice.

Any other tips you guys have besides more practice? Going to a parking lot, instead of practicing by the side of the house?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 07-22-2012, 03:26 AM

Take MSF again if you don't remember the drills and need hands on training. Otherwise, practice the drills at an empty lot, using the training booklet that came with the bike as a guide. Two years is a long time to not be riding. Hell, I go back to the parking lot and do PLP if I haven't ridden for more than 2 weeks.
post #3 of 108 Old 07-22-2012, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

As I was practicing, taking the MSF course again did cross my mind. I'll give it a few more practice sessions before I'll make a decision.

post #4 of 108 Old 07-22-2012, 09:59 AM

While taking the MSF course again is nice if you have the money, I think the parking lot idea may be better if you have one close (price wise).

Starting off is kind of tricky, but don't be afraid to 'walk' the bike a little with your feet before picking them up completely. Even if you have to wait until the clutch is all the way out (probably should only try this if you don't use the throttle).

1. Don't look at the speedometer/tachometer, look where you are going and 'feel' the bike and the RPMs.
2. Let off the clutch slowly (at your weight you really don't *need* to use the throttle unless you are starting on a hill or trying to get a quicker take off). I'm 225lbs and can start off on level ground without using the throttle.
3. Once you are comfortable using just the clutch and the 'friction zone' (MSF term) to start moving, try to hold the throttle steady at 2 or 3k RPMs and let out the clutch slowly and start that way. Really the main take away is the clutch has just as much to do with your speed as the RPMs. You can go 5mph at 10k RPMs if you learn to use the clutch well.

Ride the clutch a little to get going and to shift, it's not a car your primary concern is smooth and controlled starts/shifts - speed comes with time

Good luck! =)
post #5 of 108 Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 AM

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,315 Posts
Book lessons with a good riding instructor in your area.
You'll need them to get your licence anyway.

Its cheaper than injuries, fairings and damage.

Sent from my mobile phone while driving, waiting for a vigilante Motovlogger to star in his own train wreck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aufitt For This Useful Post:
Top (07-22-2012)
post #6 of 108 Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 AM

If you feel you have forgotten a fair amount of what was taught 2 years ago in the MSF course, I would take it again immediately.

I think you need one-on-one direction from a trained instructor, not just time by yourself in a parking lot. You sound too unsure right now to safely venture out too far, so be careful.

You need to have confidence in your skills, while still knowing your limitations, to ride safely.

Last edited by jkv357; 07-22-2012 at 10:21 AM.
post #7 of 108 Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 AM

Garage
Like Adurand said, clutch is king. Just like learning how to drive standard in a car, sit there and let the clutch out as slow as you can until you feel it start to grab. When it does start, you should be able to feel touch of vibration and the rpms may start to drop a touch. Just let the clutch out until you hit that first point where you can feel it start to grab, and play with that for a while.

After you have that down, play with throttle control a bit. Practice reving the bike up to exactly 3k or so, without going over. You can practice going up to some other rpms as well. Be able to do it both smooth and also fast if needed.

Now it's time to put them both together. Practice slowly and smoothly letting out the clutch while rolling on the gas a touch, and BAM!! You'll be set.

As far as the unstable takeoffs, trust the bike. If you think you're going to fall over, whenever anything happens that doesn't feel quite right you'll try and compensate for it, and most likely too much. Let the bike just go, it wants to stay upright while moving just as much as you.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all."

Last edited by EYVoom; 07-22-2012 at 10:28 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to EYVoom For This Useful Post:
uchavda (08-20-2012)
post #8 of 108 Old 07-22-2012, 10:23 AM

Thanked 1,538 Times in 790 Posts
Yes, I think you should have complete control of throttle, clutch, gears and brakes before you even think about going on a public highway. You'll have enough on your plate with everything else going on around you to even think about what you're doing to control the bike. Training is the way to go. We all had to learn once.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wynne G Oldman For This Useful Post:
Dukie (07-23-2012), jsonder (07-22-2012)
post #9 of 108 Old 07-22-2012, 10:41 AM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 802 Posts
Garage
Agree with retaking the MSF. A plus will be refreshing your previously learned skills on THEIR bikes, not your brand new one in which I think, the worry of dropping your shiney beautiful bike is upmost in your mind. Then go practice in a lot.

"WHAT'S NORMAL ANYWAYS" Forrest Gump

Honda cbr500r current ride
Honda cbr250r (Sumiko
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sold)
Honda cbf1000 (sold)
HD Sportster (sold the thing, hated it)
2007 Dyson Vacuum Cleaner (and no, it has not lost suction
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #10 of 108 Old 07-22-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_to_ride View Post
Agree with retaking the MSF. A plus will be refreshing your previously learned skills on THEIR bikes, not your brand new one in which I think, the worry of dropping your shiney beautiful bike is upmost in your mind. Then go practice in a lot.
I just took the MSF a month ago and am considering going through it again now that I'm slightly more experienced. Alot of what was said to me would make more sense now. Can't get too much good advise. Wonder if they'll let me ride my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page