How many fingers for braking? - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 09-04-2015, 04:45 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to OzHonda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Verge View Post
BTW, I am probably one of the few Americans who likes the tiered license system for bikes. I also believe it should be done for class (size) of cars and pick up trucks.
I love the tiered licencing system. For vehicles we have it too.

Learners > Provisional 1 > Provisional 2 > Full Opens

They each have their own stipulations / amount of passengers, type of engine (4cyl, turbo, v8 e.t.c.).

I know that the motorcycle test to get your learners here in QLD is now 30 questions too, instead of the previous 5 it used to be.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current: 2003 CBR600RR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold:

Ride carefully - You are invisible.

Mods:

Feb, 2014 Photo of the month winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 09-04-2015, 09:49 PM

In Utah we have tiers for 0-249, 250-750, and 750-Positive Infinity. Because my registration shows 249cc for the ceebee I would be stuck in the first tier, but the tester was concerned that a cop might see 250 on the bike and 249 on my license and get me. So he bumped me into the second tier.

Granted you get placed into a tier based on what bike you brought to the test. So I guess I could have borrowed a liter bike, and spent 3 minutes farting around in the parking lot with the tester and been good to ride anything.
post #23 of 27 Old 09-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Two fingers also. It allows me to blip the throttle when downshifting and brake at the same time.

Everyone has the right to be offended but just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right!

post #24 of 27 Old 09-05-2015, 02:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman View Post
I use 2 fingers. Advantage is I can maintain throttle. Disadvantage is if I need to emergency stop, there's not as much pressure, and if the right bar happens to crash into something, my other two fingers will be crushed.
Is it illegal to use shorty levers is Australia? I normally just shorten the stock levers.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #25 of 27 Old 09-05-2015, 04:32 PM

my whole life ive used two on the clutch and one on the brake. its just what is comfortable to me and convenient. however more recently, i have been trying to get used to using two on the brake. i recently bought a race suit and all the gear to go with it and am slowly converting my bike to a track bike for next season. im affraid that once on the track my one finger braking 1) will fatigue too fast and 2)may not be enough force
post #26 of 27 Old 09-05-2015, 06:10 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to OzHonda
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
Is it illegal to use shorty levers is Australia? I normally just shorten the stock levers.
It's illegal to cut the stock levers like that, as they're meant to have that "ball" section on the end.

Buying aftermarted shorty levers is fine though (and is what I run).

YouTube:

Current: 2003 CBR600RR

Sold:

Ride carefully - You are invisible.

Mods:

Feb, 2014 Photo of the month winner
post #27 of 27 Old 09-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus Rider View Post
Seems like braking fingers are a personal preference. So I am going to write this instructor off as a narrow minded twit and do what I must to get my unrestricted license. The way MC licenses are tiered in Oz is smart. Your first license is restricted to 660cc and under and some power to weight output that I can't quote. It only seems right to have to pass each segment of the unrestriced test by demonstrating proficiency. There is no law regarding four fingered brake operation, thus there should be no requirement to have to do it if you can demonstrate an emergency stop within the parameters with one or two fingers. It is frustrating that I have to break a perfectly acceptable habit to meet the personal demands of one ignorant fellow.
Power to weight is <660cc and no greater than 150kw/tonne power to weight which helps to exclude 600cc supersports. They meet the capacity guideline but the power to weight output is far too high.

I know it can be frustrating regarding the instructor but trust me, it's not the one guy trying to be a tosser. It's how they're trained and told to go about their job. Same as your driving instructor. Many people can hold a steering wheel with one hand competently and legally; however if you do it while going for your provsional test how well do you think it will work for you?

In SA you have to put your left foot down to stop in your rider safe course to get your license - or else you you will lose marks. Is it illegal to put your right foot down? Certainly not however it is a guideline for the training course and once you're out on the road you can do whatever you wish - same applies with the braking.

How did the test go?

2012 CBR250R ABS Red/Silver

- Black Adjustable Levers
- HRC Carbon Fibre Tank Pad
- Hotbodies FE Kit
- 16,000km's in 12 months

2011 GSX-R600 Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page