The wind got me today - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-16-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

The wind got me today

I'm 5'2 and weigh not all that much. It was decently windy today on my ride home; I got blown off the road. All is alright but it scared the crap out of me. Even trying to alleviate the wind on my torso, it catches the bike and shoves me around pretty well even at slow speeds.

Had to take the long way home, so I could ride cautiously without drivers around. Any advice on this? Anybody have the same issues?

~If you want to fit in, take the bus~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-16-2015, 09:47 PM

Riding in wind isn't very fun. It's noisy and annoying. I don't mind a steady wind but gusting winds are difficult.

Here's a pretty good read on how to ride in the wind.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-17-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlovestoast View Post
I'm 5'2 and weigh not all that much. It was decently windy today on my ride home; I got blown off the road. All is alright but it scared the crap out of me. Even trying to alleviate the wind on my torso, it catches the bike and shoves me around pretty well even at slow speeds.

Had to take the long way home, so I could ride cautiously without drivers around. Any advice on this? Anybody have the same issues?
Experience is pretty much the only remedy. Some will try to tell you a bigger/heavier bike is the fix, but the simply is not true.
I once rode home in a hail storm. 65+MPH winds. I was leaned over to the left at about a 40 degree angle the entire ride. NOT AWESOME, but with a little extra concentration, not really a big deal.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-17-2015, 11:47 AM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 802 Posts
Garage
Gusty winds are not my favourite. Over the years I've learned a couple of adjustments work. Try varying your speed, either speed up to plow through the wind or slow down to adjust. Relaxing your grip on the bars. It is natural to tense up when out of your comfy zone but doing so will not allow the bike to adjust to the wind. Just as gripping a steering wheel in a car "oversteers", the same principle applies to a bike. Although encountering winds can be disconcerting, you must actively tell your mind to relax the death grip on the bike.

Tucking is another choice to help manage windy conditions. The more upright a rider sits allows him/her to act as a sail. By tucking more forward, the more streamlined the rider become, aiding the bike to slice through the wind. "Become one with your bike".

I also hug the outside of the lane in windy conditions which allows me more room to adjust.

Try these few suggestions next time you encounter wind. BTW, what happened when the wind blew you? Did you go down??

"WHAT'S NORMAL ANYWAYS" Forrest Gump

Honda cbr500r current ride
Honda cbr250r (Sumiko
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sold)
Honda cbf1000 (sold)
HD Sportster (sold the thing, hated it)
2007 Dyson Vacuum Cleaner (and no, it has not lost suction
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 10 Old 09-17-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

It was gusty, which was the worst. A big one came along and sent me skidding sideways into the gravel. Luckily I didn't go down, but had to stop completely while struggling to keep my bike upright. It felt like it literally kicked my tires out from under me.

I did notice adjusting my speed according to if I was actively getting blown over helped a little.

I'm still not entirely convinced it's all about experience, I think a lot of it really is that it is a light bike, I'm a light person, and the wind off the fields was intense.

~If you want to fit in, take the bus~
post #6 of 10 Old 09-17-2015, 11:36 PM

Garage
While there is a difference with a larger bike it is not as much as most people think. I have a VTX1300C that is about 700 pounds; so with me, gear and luggage it weighs almost 1000 pounds. The wind is still a problem and particularly gusty crosswinds. I do notice that the wind is less of a problem with the VTX than the CBR but there really isn't a whole lot of rubber contacting the road with any bike.

I agree with what has been said so far and would add that I tend to ride in the middle of the lane on windy days. Even if the wind is coming from your right you should be ready to be pushed to the right. The wind can and will hit you from the other side when it is blocked by another vehicle, building or trees on the windy side. Also be aware that it can shift when crossing small bridges. I find that being in the middle of the lane allows me to relax and let the bike adjust and also gives me a margin of safety and time to make corrections when needed.

High winds are hazardous weather and should be treated just as seriously as rain or other dangerous weather. Be extra cautious around car drivers on windy days because many of them do not adjust their driving for wind and they get caught off guard all the time.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt
post #7 of 10 Old 09-18-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
It was gusty, which was the worst. A big one came along and sent me skidding sideways into the gravel. Luckily I didn't go down, but had to stop completely while struggling to keep my bike upright. It felt like it literally kicked my tires out from under me.

I did notice adjusting my speed according to if I was actively getting blown over helped a little.

I'm still not entirely convinced it's all about experience, I think a lot of it really is that it is a light bike, I'm a light person, and the wind off the fields was intense.

If you were mentally prepared for the gusty conditions, and holding the handlebars like little baby chicks (or twinkies) with solid connection to the bike (lower body), and you were still blown a lane over, it could've happened to any weight bike.

Consciously counter steering into the wind, while being loose enough to "chicken wing" at all times should keep you on the road mostly at any time it's still safe to ride any motorcycle. Pinning your lower half through your heels and knees and thighs to the bike lets you stay relaxed in the upper half.

Your reaction times do you have to get fast, because as soon as that Gust let's off, or the semitruck Wind shadow is gone you need to counter counter-steer.

Last edited by Hellonwheels; 09-18-2015 at 10:46 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-18-2015, 10:29 AM

Also be a little bit more of a weatherman, be able to name what the wind advisory is for your area in miles per hour...

If a Gust is at 65+ miles an hour you might not maintain your lane. I'm pretty sure that's on any weight of motorcycle. You are small, and your bike is aerodynamic, for a bike. If you have quick reactions, you should do OK on your little bike, even in conditions that seem like a lot of wind.

As always, make sure the susp... is set up properly for your weight.

Last edited by Hellonwheels; 09-18-2015 at 01:28 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-18-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:

I'm on the tall side of 6' and I deal with winds on a daily basis. Due to my height I can't escape them too much but tucking does help.

I live in the antelope valley and commute to work across a dry lake bed 5 days a week. Average day of winds are usually 15-20 kts with 30 knot gusts. The strongest I've ridden in so far were 50+kts, which I really didn't enjoy. My biggest problem is keeping highway speeds with a strong headwind, there are days where I can't push the bike past 65 mph.

My biggest tips are to tuck as much as possible and stay relaxed (except for your sphincter!) Have a lane position that will allow for the gusts to take you. There's no use fighting it, just be prepared to correct it. You'll be surprised at how much the bike does for itself if you relax. Also, there's no shame in finding an alternate route with wind cover (like houses, trees, etc.) if available. Unfortunately I don't have that option.

Good luck!

Edit: also I can attest that a heavier bike doesn't really help. I would spill out of my lane more often on my gs750.

Last edited by LeJalapeno; 09-18-2015 at 02:20 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-19-2015, 09:10 PM

There are some basic tips that really help with riding in the wind. Check out the thread.
https://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-p...oss-winds.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page