Take responsibility - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-08-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Take responsibility

I ride a lot of miles. I read a lot of Motorcycles forums. I watch a lot of motorcycle helmet cam videos. I read a lot of posts about crashes. I find that many of the wrecks I read about could have been avoided if the rider had done something differently. But many of the riders who do get wrecked tend to blame someone else.
"The road crew tracked sand into the road". "The guy in the next lane didn't know I was right beside him in the blind spot and started to merge into my lane so I failed to use the brakes or pay attention to the traffic stopped in front of me and rode right in to the back of the next car". "I gunned it to split through two lanes of stopped traffic at 40 mph as the light first turned green and got hit by the car that was still racing the yellow light from the cross street".
Take responsibility for your own riding. Ride to arrive. Look twice. Save a life. Your own.
https://rockthegear.wordpress.com/20...15/look-twice/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-08-2016, 10:53 AM

...I think that's just human nature; we don't fess up to our mistakes or think that we could do something wrong.

Everyone thinks that they're right (hence the arguments I get into with my fiance, lol), but were not... An accident is almost NEVER just an accident (no one's fault), it's usually ALWAYS someone's fault.

(you know what an accident is, when a deer jumps out in front of you, there's usually nothing you could've done differently with that... well, slow down around trees and use your brights)

The number 1 reason: you're NOT paying full attention!

you could have:
-been going slower
-looked around you
-slowed down before the intersection
-anticipate possible outcomes
-been more defensive
(all of these apply to riders and drivers)

^those are the things people should say when they get into a collision, "I'm sorry, I wasn't ________"
...obviously per your insurance company, don't admit fault

BUT, in general, people need to own up to their actions, I and everyone else is guilty of that!
Stichill and Rootch like this.

2012 CBR250R Naked Orange
post #3 of 22 Old 04-08-2016, 11:31 PM

my wife and I both ride, every day, she laid hers down in key west last year, tried to stop to quickly because she came up on a car to fast and front wheel went out from under her, little road rash and bruise ego..tried to put blame on car in front...we had a little talk..I explained it is still her responsibility to be aware of everything around her...I try to stress the point that everything on the road it out to kill her and it is her job to prevent that

I raced from the time I was 16 until I retired at 45, I saw good friends get killed and crippled, I taken enough rides in ambulances to last me the rest of my life, I have hit guardrails head on at 140+ , that ******************** hurts....I do not want to crash anymore....I always assume everything is going to hit me or pullout in front of me or turn in front of me...I am not interested in dying because I was not paying attention
shisoshin and Gecko1962 like this.

post #4 of 22 Old 04-09-2016, 04:06 AM

I agree 100% with the above. Sometimes an 'accident' occurs and the motorcyclist is not legally at fault. However, we are the ones who will suffer serious injury. As motorcyclists, we need to accept the vulnerability that comes with it. We need to manage risks as best we can. Slow down, pay attention, and anticipate erratic behavior. If you expect the oblivious and distracted soccer mum in the SUV to pull out on you, it wont be a surprise when she does.
shisoshin and Stichill like this.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-09-2016, 10:17 AM

As riders, the one person we should never lie to is ourselves. We have to accept objective reality and operate within it to stay healthy and alive. If we aren't honest about our riding faults and mistakes, we won't (can't) take the corrective actions needed to reduce our risks on the road.
shisoshin and VaRider like this.
post #6 of 22 Old 04-09-2016, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

I like this one from another forum.
One of my instructors teaching at the MSF when I took it with my wife was a police officer.

He said "accidents" are when things beyond your control happen.... tire blowout, wheel falls off, deer hits you, etc... Everything else is a "traffic crash" and is avoidable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-09-2016, 10:41 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
the clearest view is hindesight..
but he best view is foresight...
post #8 of 22 Old 04-10-2016, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Hindsight is clearest. Foresight applies it. Study these crash reports and aggressive riding helmet cam videos to figure out what could be done differently so you can learn from their mistakes to become a safer rider. Take responsibility for your own safety and for promoting motorcycling by riding safely and politely.
Schroeder likes this.

post #9 of 22 Old 04-10-2016, 12:17 PM

Unfortunately to many, especially newbs, promoting obedience to traffic laws and riding safely is usually garnished with hostile rebuttals, usually along the lines of "sportbikes are meant to be ridden sportily", or "that takes all the fun and spirit out of riding", or "You should just buy a minivan".

Short lives be fleeting. :/

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-10-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

What I am mostly getting over on the R3 forum is silence. But at least I made them think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page