wrecked 250r - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 05-26-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Sorry to hear, but grateful you came out of it without worse injuries. It sounds like things could have been MUCH worse in a scenario like that.
For sure your bike is totaled. You're only seeing the obvious damages, but when the insurance adjuster inspects it I guarantee you he will find a lot more things wrong than you expected.
For a bike with such a low MSRP to begin with, it doesn't take much at all to declare it a total loss and it looks from the pics that you're probably already most of the way there before he even starts checking things off his list that you're not now seeing.
I lowsided my old Ninja 250R a couple of years ago. It didn't look even a quarter as bad as your CBR, but the adjuster had it totaled within 2 minutes of arriving to inspect it.
I hope you had decent insurance coverage and can at least put that question out of your mind while you concentrate on taking care of your injuries.
You can always get another bike, but right now your priority should be taking care of yourself.
thanks man i appreciate it. i will not lie, i did cry when i saw her in the junk yard like this. i took excellent care of her, and was the first vehicle i could afford to buy new and i paid her off in january. i had excellent coverage i think and when i called nationwide to file the claim, they surprised me by saying i had no deductible. when i started the policy in 2012 it was a $500 deductible. all i want to do right now is go riding and forget this ever happened

'12 CBR 250R black
2000 BMW 328i AC Schnitzer
'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l stroked /turbo build (in progress)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 05-26-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTech2010 View Post
thanks man i appreciate it. i will not lie, i did cry when i saw her in the junk yard like this. i took excellent care of her, and was the first vehicle i could afford to buy new and i paid her off in january. i had excellent coverage i think and when i called nationwide to file the claim, they surprised me by saying i had no deductible. when i started the policy in 2012 it was a $500 deductible. all i want to do right now is go riding and forget this ever happened
Other than what you can take away from it as a learning experience, that's really the best option. Get riding again as soon as possible and just keep moving forward.
I'm sure the salvage laws in Florida are a lot different than up here in Massachusetts, but here they're so convoluted and prohibitive that rebuilding my Ninja 250R simply wasn't an option. It just didn't make sense value-wise in the long run. It would have made some sense if the bike sold new for $10,000 or $15,000, but the initial low cost of bikes like the Ninja 250R and CBR250R and their rapid rate of depreciation makes rebuilding it a losing proposition unless the damage is really minor. Of course if that were the case the insurance company probably wouldn't total it in the first place.
You'd be surprised at all the things that can go completely out of whack on a small inexpensive bike in even a minor accident like I had, everything from the fork to the swingarm and lots of stuff in between had to be replaced with OEM parts to restore it to rideable condition that the insurance company would sign off on. It didn't even make sense to try and keep it as a track-only bike. For what it would have cost I could have bought a brand new 650 and had plenty of dough left over for accessories.
Good for you for having top-of-the-line insurance. That should help mitigate a lot of the negatives and help get you back on 2 wheels sooner. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrueFaith For This Useful Post:
HondaTech2010 (05-26-2016)
post #13 of 20 Old 05-26-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTech2010 View Post
Yup, nationwide is awesome. They have vanishing deductible (at least in my state) for powersports policies. Didn't even know it until I renewed a couple years ago and I was trying to adjust my policy to lower my rate. Turns out, every year $100 is taken away from your deductible, up to 5 years ($500). So, every year I adjust my deductible. Now I can have it at $500 and save like $40 a year.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbrlocal For This Useful Post:
HondaTech2010 (10-16-2016)

post #14 of 20 Old 10-16-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Other than what you can take away from it as a learning experience, that's really the best option. Get riding again as soon as possible and just keep moving forward.
I'm sure the salvage laws in Florida are a lot different than up here in Massachusetts, but here they're so convoluted and prohibitive that rebuilding my Ninja 250R simply wasn't an option. It just didn't make sense value-wise in the long run. It would have made some sense if the bike sold new for $10,000 or $15,000, but the initial low cost of bikes like the Ninja 250R and CBR250R and their rapid rate of depreciation makes rebuilding it a losing proposition unless the damage is really minor. Of course if that were the case the insurance company probably wouldn't total it in the first place.
You'd be surprised at all the things that can go completely out of whack on a small inexpensive bike in even a minor accident like I had, everything from the fork to the swingarm and lots of stuff in between had to be replaced with OEM parts to restore it to rideable condition that the insurance company would sign off on. It didn't even make sense to try and keep it as a track-only bike. For what it would have cost I could have bought a brand new 650 and had plenty of dough left over for accessories.
Good for you for having top-of-the-line insurance. That should help mitigate a lot of the negatives and help get you back on 2 wheels sooner. Good luck!
appreciate it man, took the cash that nationwide gave me and went and bought a new 300r lol

'12 CBR 250R black
post #15 of 20 Old 10-17-2016, 06:26 AM

Did you actually hit the other car?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-17-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Did you actually hit the other car?
no, had cars to left and right and locked front brake and back wheel came off the ground (no ABS) and let go of front brake cause i knew it locked up when i felt back tire coming up and over and i let go to put rear tire back down but had to grab again to keep from hitting them cause i couldn't go left or right. officer doing the report said that there was no evidence i hit them, i was ******************** close cause i remember seeing their trunk and being able to read the plate as they were driving away. im not sure if that means good for me or bad for me but...

'12 CBR 250R black
post #17 of 20 Old 10-17-2016, 10:43 PM

So they can't charge her for hit and run because she didn't hit you. And any time a vehicle is hit square in the back, it is deamed the fault of the person in the rear for failure to control their vehicle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-29-2016, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

i didn't actually make contact with the vehicle, they arrested her for causing an accident and fleeing.

'12 CBR 250R black
post #19 of 20 Old 10-29-2016, 09:20 PM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 802 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
So they can't charge her for hit and run because she didn't hit you. And any time a vehicle is hit square in the back, it is deamed the fault of the person in the rear for failure to control their vehicle.

This is generally true, unless there is proof that the vehicle in front caused the accident by unsafe or reckless driving/riding. Blame may be assigned to both vehicles or solely to the vehicle who was hit.

"WHAT'S NORMAL ANYWAYS" Forrest Gump

Honda cbr500r current ride
Honda cbr250r (Sumiko
sold)
Honda cbf1000 (sold)
HD Sportster (sold the thing, hated it)
2007 Dyson Vacuum Cleaner (and no, it has not lost suction
)
post #20 of 20 Old 10-30-2016, 08:00 PM

Hope you are healing well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page