Do any MSF not charge full price for a retake? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-13-2016, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do any MSF not charge full price for a retake?

About to take the MSF but I find their terms of failing it kinda BS. Both the courses here say that if you fail it is like a bus ticket and you gotta pay to come back. I think if you pass the written test you should not have to pay for it again. Why make someone do the whole thing over again when a retest will do the job? I have heard of people being kicked out of some of these courses within an hour and to me that is not right. I have taken other certs that are in a group learning environment and have never seen them kick someone out before. They let you stay until the end then fail you and you can come back for a smaller fee. Now I am not all that worried about failing but who knows things happen and maybe I am sick the day of our something. A school should stand by their students and not just dump them the second they aggravate or slow the class down.

So how common are these schools that have polices in place for cheaper retakes? I know they exist because people have told me they have been able to do a retake instead of come back for the full thing later. Where can I find MSF courses with these polices?
Alphonse5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 09-13-2016, 03:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Schroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,814
Thanks: 206
Thanked 356 Times in 293 Posts
From what I've read here (which is not that extensive of course) MSF classes usually don't fail anybody. Some members here reported that even people passed who dropped their bikes.

Might differ from state to state though.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Schroeder is online now  
post #3 of 17 Old 09-13-2016, 07:27 AM
Member
 
CBRogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: MA
Posts: 60
Thanks: 15
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My son took the course a couple months ago. I asked the instructor and people do fail once in a while.

I watched a bit of the training as the course was wrapping up...some of those people are not ready for the street, by any means
don'tpanic likes this.
CBRogers is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 09-13-2016, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Piedmont, NC
Posts: 1,872
Thanks: 140
Thanked 490 Times in 380 Posts
Here in NC, there is no discount. You pay the same regardless as to how many times you take it, retake it, fail it, etc.

You are allowed to drop your bike during the class; but only if you make a mistake and it's kind of a one-off thing (which could happen to anyone really). If it happens often, or they feel you are endangering yourself or others by your lack of coordination and handling the bike, they will remove you from the course. But, if you drop your bike during the exam portion, even once, or a tipover, it's an instant fail.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
cbrlocal is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 09-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Moderator
 
jsonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: southern Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,003
Thanks: 327
Thanked 408 Times in 317 Posts
Garage
Does your state offer license testing? Most do or did. I've advised folks to find this out and where the course is, so they can drive by and look at it before having someone ride their bike to the site for them to take the test. Not having a day-time temporary learners permit is a pain in the backside. Most other countries offer that, but the licensing tests are usually harder.

The retake has to be in _your_ state, which is unknown. All that you have told us in the new member area is that you paid US dollars for the bike. Where do you live?

Can you tell that I started riding before my state of birth had motorcycle rider's licenses? I only needed an auto driver's license.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

Last edited by jsonder; 09-13-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: ask what state?
jsonder is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 09-13-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlocal View Post
Here in NC, there is no discount. You pay the same regardless as to how many times you take it, retake it, fail it, etc.

You are allowed to drop your bike during the class; but only if you make a mistake and it's kind of a one-off thing (which could happen to anyone really). If it happens often, or they feel you are endangering yourself or others by your lack of coordination and handling the bike, they will remove you from the course. But, if you drop your bike during the exam portion, even once, or a tipover, it's an instant fail.
I don't like how inconsistent these courses are and how the instructors are about telling people to leave. I talked to someone who took the MSF course about 4 months back and they said they dropped the bike but they gave extra attention to them. They took them off to the side and helped them while other places you drop the bike once at any time you are asked to leave. There needs to be clear polices in place listed on the website instead of it being left up to if the instructor is having a bad day or not.
Alphonse5 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 09-13-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
Does your state offer license testing? Most do or did. I've advised folks to find this out and where the course is, so they can drive by and look at it before having someone ride their bike to the site for them to take the test. Not having a day-time temporary learners permit is a pain in the backside. Most other countries offer that, but the licensing tests are usually harder.
Nope.. they have no permit here and you can't even ride a motorcycle until you take the MSF here. I have my bike so I was thinking about riding it without the license because the penalty for riding without a license is you get a ticket that can be dismissed once you take the MSF. I was just going to ride it about 2/3 mile down the road to a parking lot and drive around. Get used to it mostly.
Alphonse5 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 09-13-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRogers View Post
My son took the course a couple months ago. I asked the instructor and people do fail once in a while.

I watched a bit of the training as the course was wrapping up...some of those people are not ready for the street, by any means
How can you expect anyone to ready for street with 8 hours of training with most of that sitting idle from my understanding. When I took my sailing cert in the same format 2 class days and 1 day sailing 1 test day you aren't ready for the sea at the end of that. Tons of things can kill you out at sea and all you learned was some knots and how the boat turns. The only way to get better is to put time into sailing.
Alphonse5 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 09-13-2016, 11:52 AM
Moderator
 
jsonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: southern Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,003
Thanks: 327
Thanked 408 Times in 317 Posts
Garage
<unwarranted attack>

Alphonse5:

This isn't fair, but, riding a motorcycle in traffic is a risk. Your job is to keep the cagers from hurting or killing you. You must view yourself as small and vulnerable. Right or wrong is irrelevant, staying safe is what counts.

The attitudes that you have expressed suggest that you might have difficulty viewing yourself as small and vulnerable. I am worried that possibly motorcycle riding is not a good fit for you.

</unwarranted attack>

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
jsonder is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 09-13-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
<unwarranted attack>

Alphonse5:

This isn't fair, but, riding a motorcycle in traffic is a risk. Your job is to keep the cagers from hurting or killing you. You must view yourself as small and vulnerable. Right or wrong is irrelevant, staying safe is what counts.

The attitudes that you have expressed suggest that you might have difficulty viewing yourself as small and vulnerable. I am worried that possibly motorcycle riding is not a good fit for you.

</unwarranted attack>
The only way to know if something is not a good fit for you is to do it. I barley passed my sailing cert but I still love it and am glad I have the chance to keep improving my skills. So if I don't like the motorcycle I will sell it but not until I have decided I don't like it.
Alphonse5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome