New rider tips - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 05-23-2018, 07:32 PM

Garage
It's unfortunate the displacement categories don't line up. Including supersport 600s in the same category as the CB300 ruins how useful that category is. I suspect the CB300 and R3 coming out in 2015 is the reason <251cc sales dropped off so sharply; the most popular entry level bikes no longer fit in it, and they didn't change the categories to compensate.

Every bike is a good bike. The question is whether or not it's the best bike for what you want to do.

The Little Sport Tourer That Could - 2011 CBR250R with touring windscreen, Saddlemen seat, tank cover, frame sliders, mirror extenders, taller gearing via sprockets to fix speedo and reduce vibration at highway speed. Written off due to act of moron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 05-24-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegs View Post
It's unfortunate the displacement categories don't line up. Including supersport 600s in the same category as the CB300 ruins how useful that category is. I suspect the CB300 and R3 coming out in 2015 is the reason <251cc sales dropped off so sharply; the most popular entry level bikes no longer fit in it, and they didn't change the categories to compensate.
Ya. It's rare that statistics are really that accurate when dealing with cycles. Same with insurance companies clumping completely different bikes in the same rate category.

Not a lot of knowledge in either industry when it comes to cycles.
post #13 of 24 Old 05-30-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

I think I'll just add more articles on safety tips and defensive riding to this thread when I run across them.

Like this - https://rideapart.com/articles/advic...oads-with-cars

post #14 of 24 Old 06-06-2018, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Highway riding tips - How To Ride A Motorcycle On The Highway Safely

Interesting that the first photo shows a scooter entering the highway.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Highway riding tips - How To Ride A Motorcycle On The Highway Safely

Interesting that the first photo shows a scooter entering the highway.
Two things I have problems with:
1. I don't like the group riding picture in the article. Those riders are waaay to close together. If one of the front guys goes down the others have no chance to react in time. Seen it on occasion on Youtube....
2. I also don't get the "be faster than traffic" rule. First of there is something called a speed limit and I'm sure the cars aren't going slower than that so the article encourages you to go speeding and get them tickets (or speed away from police as well???). Claiming that is to stay out of blind spots is nonsense IMHO. That can also be achieved without going faster than everyone else. If you're faster than a car next to you just go past it quickly and get down to the speed limit again (takes mere seconds). If a car creeps up to you in the next lane slow down for a few seconds and let him pass. No constant speeding required.

Pretending to have special rights and doing whatever we want are reasons why we are disliked so much by cagers and the general public.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-06-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Two things I have problems with:
1. I don't like the group riding picture in the article. Those riders are waaay to close together. If one of the front guys goes down the others have no chance to react in time. Seen it on occasion on Youtube....
2. I also don't get the "be faster than traffic" rule. First of there is something called a speed limit and I'm sure the cars aren't going slower than that so the article encourages you to go speeding and get them tickets (or speed away from police as well???). Claiming that is to stay out of blind spots is nonsense IMHO. That can also be achieved without going faster than everyone else. If you're faster than a car next to you just go past it quickly and get down to the speed limit again (takes mere seconds). If a car creeps up to you in the next lane slow down for a few seconds and let him pass. No constant speeding required.

Pretending to have special rights and doing whatever we want are reasons why we are disliked so much by cagers and the general public.
Absolutely. I felt the same when I saw the group ride pic.

Sometimes. I will overtake rather than being overtaken mostly, but if I can get into a space between cars and stay there at their speed (not always the speed limit) I will. I basically never stay along side of a car (especially behind the driver where I'm not visible) for any amount of time, so if I need to accelerate to get ahead I will. I do not like traffic bunching up behind me, which leads to following me too closely, so I will do what i need to in order to be in a better/safer spot. Sometimes that is speeding.

I will also slow down at times if that's the best option. Especially if there is a poor driver - I want to be behind, not in front, of those. I don't consistently run over the limit, more with the traffic flow, but whatever keeps me in the best spot at the time.

This has worked for me for almost 40 years on the street on 2 wheels, but it may not be for everyone.

Last edited by jkv357; 06-06-2018 at 05:30 PM.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-15-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

post #18 of 24 Old 06-25-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Riding with a passenger -

New Rider: How to Ride With a Passenger

Not something I personally would suggest for a new rider, especially on a small cycle.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-25-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Sometimes. I will overtake rather than being overtaken mostly, but if I can get into a space between cars and stay there at their speed (not always the speed limit) I will. I basically never stay along side of a car (especially behind the driver where I'm not visible) for any amount of time, so if I need to accelerate to get ahead I will. I do not like traffic bunching up behind me, which leads to following me too closely, so I will do what i need to in order to be in a better/safer spot. Sometimes that is speeding.

I will also slow down at times if that's the best option. Especially if there is a poor driver - I want to be behind, not in front, of those. I don't consistently run over the limit, more with the traffic flow, but whatever keeps me in the best spot at the time.

This has worked for me for almost 40 years on the street on 2 wheels, but it may not be for everyone.
I try to ride just like you do.
post #20 of 24 Old 07-11-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

This looked familiar, but I don't think I've posted it here before -

Top 5 Reasons Why We Crash and How to Stop Doing It

https://rideapart.com/articles/ken-h...crash-overcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page