Sad Father's Day - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 07-01-2018, 02:03 PM

I don't think in that situation that ABS could have overcome physics. In the split second the ABS may have activated (and there's certainly no guarantee that it would in such a case) the bike is already unbalanced and momentum takes over.
The same thing happened to me when I was entering my driveway at 5mph or less. You're down before you even know what's happening. Luckily it only needs to happen once to be imprinted on your brain permanently.
As far as landing on your forearms, it's a nice idea, but difficult to actually achieve safely. I broke my wrist in 5 places falling off a bicycle long ago, so when I low-sided on gravel several years ago I made a conscious effort to keep my hands on the bars and ride the bike down so my leather-clad forearm and shoulder would take the brunt of the fall. Not only did I end up with a 3rd degree shoulder separation, but the handlebars twisted on impact and the ball on the end of the the clutch lever impaled my thigh an inch deep, causing massive blood loss and forcing the EMT to stick his thumb in the wound on the way to the ER so I wouldn't bleed out in the ambulance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 07-01-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I don't think in that situation that ABS could have overcome physics. In the split second the ABS may have activated (and there's certainly no guarantee that it would in such a case) the bike is already unbalanced and momentum takes over.
The same thing happened to me when I was entering my driveway at 5mph or less. You're down before you even know what's happening. Luckily it only needs to happen once to be imprinted on your brain permanently.
As far as landing on your forearms, it's a nice idea, but difficult to actually achieve safely. I broke my wrist in 5 places falling off a bicycle long ago, so when I low-sided on gravel several years ago I made a conscious effort to keep my hands on the bars and ride the bike down so my leather-clad forearm and shoulder would take the brunt of the fall. Not only did I end up with a 3rd degree shoulder separation, but the handlebars twisted on impact and the ball on the end of the the clutch lever impaled my thigh an inch deep, causing massive blood loss and forcing the EMT to stick his thumb in the wound on the way to the ER so I wouldn't bleed out in the ambulance.
I agree - it's not a sure thing to be able to achieve.

I did bail on the Interstate years ago when I hit a deer, and for whatever reason did land on my forearms. I had full leathers on, but ended up with raw skin on my forearms from the impact pressure and movement of the jacket over the skin. It was clean and headed quickly though.

Either way, significant impact force is going to find the weakest point (wrist, arm, elbow, shoulder) and break it.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-01-2018, 08:05 PM

You were lucky. Me not so much. There are so many unknown factors involved in any crash. There's really no way to predict what can happen once the bike starts to go down. If my front end hadn't shifted so violently during the crash I could have walked away from it, even with the separated shoulder. Instead I needed 2 liters of blood, surgery, a week in an unfamiliar hospital and a month of recovery before I could ride again. All for a relatively low speed drop. If I hadn't had the good luck to crash right in front of an off-duty nurse who was sunning herself in her front yard, who immediately saw the damage to my leg and acted quickly to stem the bleeding while the ambulance was on it's way things may have ended much worse.
All of which is to say that "luck" really does have a lot to do with the outcome of any crash. Any time I see anyone discussing what they "plan" to do if they were ever to crash I hear that little voice in my head repeating that familiar saying "Man plans, god laughs".
Big F1 Fan likes this.

post #14 of 20 Old 07-02-2018, 11:30 AM

So sorry! Thanks for putting this up for us to learn from!
Big F1 Fan likes this.
post #15 of 20 Old 07-02-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Location: Saint Charles, IL. A really nice little far-west Chicago suburb in northeast Illinois.
Garage
@jsonder - Ouch. I'm so grateful I had a full face helmet. The damage on my helmet looks like I might've had the same outcome as you if I hadn't have had full coverage. I'm sorry that you had to go through that.

And re: ABS, yeah I don't know if it would've helped in my wreck. I was travelling somewhere in the 10-12 MPH range, and squeezed the right side lever hard and fast. Before I 100% realized what was happening, my rear wheel was off of the pavement and I was (poorly) imitating Superman. Regardless, my next bike will be so equipped, just in case.

Again- thanks for the well wishes and good advice everyone. Surgery tomorrow, then on to healing and as soon as possible, a new beastie for me. I'm really liking the Ducati Monster range, and used models near me are going for relatively good prices. Is the consensus still that bike shopping at the end of the season, or out of season is usually better for buyers in the internet age? Or has the ability to shop online, no matter the time of year, negated any perceived advantage us folks who are saddled with riding seasons might once have had in the off season?

I have a feeling I'll be offline for a bit, but I'll be reading replies as I'm able.

Stay safe everyone and enjoy the summer :-)
jkv357 likes this.

-dreaming of beautiful weather and empty roads....
post #16 of 20 Old 07-02-2018, 07:26 PM

Garage
Big F1 Fan, I'll have the fingers and toes crossed for you tomorrow.

If you know what you want and how much you are willing to pay, shopping in January and February used to yield good results in snow country. However, if you find what you want, for a not unreasonable price, I'd bite the bullet and get it. Life goes by so fast....

I ordered my 2014 as soon as the dealer had the information, and then waited 2.5 months for my belated 72nd birthday present. I still love the CB500XA; it does everything well.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #17 of 20 Old 07-03-2018, 10:49 AM

Best of luck today!

Let us know how you are doing when you can.
post #18 of 20 Old 07-03-2018, 11:51 AM

Good luck today with your surgeries. It must have been an effort to type this.

When you're out of the hospital and can type, let me know if the bike is available as salvage, please.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnowat View Post
Good luck today with your surgeries. It must have been an effort to type this.

When you're out of the hospital and can type, let me know if the bike is available as salvage, please.
......dafuq...

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-05-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Location: Saint Charles, IL. A really nice little far-west Chicago suburb in northeast Illinois.
Garage
surgery update

Well, surgery is kind of done. Due to complications that I'm not 100% clear on yet, only my left wrist has been repaired. It hurts, a lot. I'm grateful that my right has been delayed, I couldn't imagine being in 2x the pain. I have an ortho appointment today to discuss the outcome so far, problems and contingencies.

Thank you all again for your well wishes, they truly do mean alot to me.

And to the member asking about salvage, the bike is the property of Progressive Insurance now, and I guess it's up to them as to it's future.

As time and pain permit, I'll be dropping in here.

Stay safe!
Schroeder likes this.

-dreaming of beautiful weather and empty roads....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page