Sad Father's Day - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-29-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Location: Saint Charles, IL. A really nice little far-west Chicago suburb in northeast Illinois.
Garage
Sad Father's Day

Well, sadly,my little CBR is totaled.
I was riding solo around 9:30 am on June 17th, a gorgeous Sunday, Father's Day in the U.S., in North Central Illinois heading down to the area around Starved Rock state park. I came to a 4 way stop, and things went bad.

All four stop signs had vehicles at them. I proceeded to go straight through the intersection when it was my turn to go. I glanced at the other vehicles waiting their turns, and noticed that the vehicle on my right was also moving, coming directly towards me. In the very short amount of time that I was afforded to make a decision, I instinctively steered to my left, I guess in an effort to position myself parallel with, and moving in the same direction as, my perceived threat. I also, unfortunately, applied WAY TOO MUCH got damm front brake.

I think everyone knows the consequences of doing that idiotic thing.

After doing what must've been an excellent imitation of Superman, my helmeted head and gloved hands struck the pavement much harder than would be expected from travelling approximately 12 MPH. One of my lasting impressions is of how amazingly hard my head hit the ground while going so slowly. Without a helmet, I'd be missing a lot of skin from the right side of my face and scalp, and probably wouldn't be typing this out right now. After the dust settled, I managed to get to my feet and do a quick once over of my condition. The first injury I noticed was a small patch of road rash on my right forearm that managed to make it's way through the mesh sleeve of my Joe Rocket jacket, a little blood, no biggie. At first, I thought that might be it. Nope. While undoing the fastening devices of my helmet, I noticed that my fingers on both hands didn't really act the way I was used to while unbuckling my helmet. Anyway, I was able to get my helmet off but not without some difficulty. After the helmet fell straight out of my hands to the ground, I looked down at my wrists and noticed that both of them had managed to acquire a few very oddly shaped angles that weren't there just a few hours earlier that morning. Dangit.

By this time, people were all around me asking me a hundred questions at once. It was slightly overwhelming and luckily one samaritan kind of took charge. He quickly noticed my wrists, grimaced, and had me go sit down on the roadside. He and another bystander were kind enough to lift my bike up and get it off of the road. 911 was called, and soon I was in the care of some of Kendall Counties finest EMT's, and on my way the the Emergency Department.

To wrap this up, my scaphoid bone is fractured in both wrists and my right wrist also has a fractured capitate and pisiform, along with a broken rib on my right side. I'm scheduled for surgery on Tuesday, July 3rd to reconstruct both wrists. Along with the wrists and rib, the only other injuries are two bruised knees and the tiny bit of road rash on my forearm.

I'm going to get a new bike as soon as possible, and I'm for damm sure going to continue to ALWAYS wear gear - I'm absolutely shocked by how hard my head struck the ground. I wish everyone out there who rides without a helmet had some idea of how, even in a "slow" crash like mine, such enormous forces are developed. My helmet, in my mind, saved my life. I didn't even have a headache or sore neck afterwards, and the rest of my gear performed amazingly as well.

I've taken from this wreck a much healthier respect for the braking characteristics of a motorcycle. I DID take the MSF course, and I DID know the theoretical consequences of using too much front brake. I also had practiced what I thought would be useful panic application of the front brake, however, practice and actual situational deployment are two very different animals. But, I sure know now.

Please, PLEASE gear up - at the very least wear a helmet. What happened to me could happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere. It's just not worth the risk to go without one. Be safe, not sorry.

-dreaming of beautiful weather and empty roads....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-29-2018, 03:48 PM

Dam - sorry to hear that!

Bad enough, but glad it wasn't worse for you. Definitely utilized the gear for its intended purpose.

My boys always wear gear, and have to push their friends to wear it. The other day a friend on a HD dropped it at about 10 MPH with a passenger. They both got scuffed up a little, and the passenger (shorts and a T-shirt I believe) must have had no idea that could happen on a motorcycle - as she was apparently quite mad.

They had just been out on the highway doing 70+.

Took a ride last weekend a few hundred miles north in WI, and was amazed at the amount of riders (almost all on HDs) that had no gear on themselves or their passenger - dozens.

We had 2 HD riders from Chicago (cycle club jackets) pass us at over 85 and chop across the front of my son no more than 2 feet off the fender. We were in the middle lane. No gear (other than the jacket) and feet up on the hwy pegs. Swerving in and out of traffic the entire time. No clue.

It just doesn't take much speed at all to ruin your day. People just have no idea what happens when the s*** hits the fan - especially at those speeds.

Heal up quick - and let us know what you are getting for a replacement.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-29-2018, 04:23 PM

Darn, that sounds bad. I wonder though why your bike was totaled at that speed? Did it hit the moving car? When I was looking for a bike I knew I wanted something with ABS to prevent exactly what has happened to you. We all practice emergency stops (hopefully) but when the real deal comes around with an imminent impact there will always be the urge to squeeze that lever a bit more.

Hope you'll heal soon and well.
Big F1 Fan likes this.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old 06-29-2018, 04:29 PM

Garage
I am sorry to read your story. It sucks when other drivers "do not see the motorcycle".

I did a dumb thing myself a few years ago, so I can commiserate.

Might I suggest ABS on the next bike.

Below is my logic for recommending full-face helmets. I was wearing a 3/4 and riding a cruiser.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #5 of 20 Old 06-29-2018, 07:28 PM

I've been a professional driver for most of my life and if I've learned one thing it's that most people who have managed to pass a driving test and acquire a driving license still have no clue what "right-of-way" means when confronted with a 4-way stop (or any other application of "right-of-way" for that matter.) If all vehicles arrive at the intersection at the same time, the vehicle to your right has the right of way. Sounds simple, doesn't it? I can't tell you how many times a vehicle to my right has arrived after me and instead of following that rule will look at me for some clue of what to do. If I hesitate at all they will take that as "permission" to violate my right of way. Even in a 2-way stop where the right of way is obvious, I have had people violate it and almost T-bone me as a result. These are the same people who will surrender their right of way on a dime just to be a "nice guy" and stop dead to let someone who obviously doesn't have ANY right of way proceed through a STOP SIGN, causing a multi-vehicle crash.
Never assume that any driver on the road has the slightest clue of what's expected of him when having to deal with another vehicle at a stop sign, let alone a 4-way stop where the possibility of complete ignorance of the law is multiplied. It's better to wait until your right of way is unquestioned because you're the idiot that's been holding up traffic while everyone else goes and impatient drivers are beeping at you than to assume that any of those other drivers actually knows what the laws are.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-29-2018, 11:32 PM

Sorry to hear of your accident. Glad you walked away. Speeding healing to you.

What would you have done differently if you were able to do so? You did the best you could and I'm sure your training and quick thinking, along with the safety gear, prevented this from being much worse though.

I sometimes take rides to the bank and market not wearing a helmet. Ugh. I really should not do this. Your post will inspire me to change this habit.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-30-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Location: Saint Charles, IL. A really nice little far-west Chicago suburb in northeast Illinois.
Garage
First off - thanks for the kind words and well wishes. I have surgery scheduled for July 3, and I’m a little nervous about that. Ugh.
@Schroeder my bike was a 2011 Honda CBR250R according to my insurance company, worth about $2400. I live in a far western ( fairly wealthy ) suburb of Chicago. Factoring in labor rates, taxes, 80 miles of towing, a couple days of storage and finally replacement parts, the numbers just couldn’t add up for the insurance to rebuild a 7 year old bike to new status. I understand, but it still hurts. I only paid $3,300 for it from a dealer last summer, so I don’t think they’re out of line totaling it.
@trippplep what I’ve learned is to NEVER NEVER EVER panic squeeze the front brake. And yes, ABS will be a requirement on my replacement. I hope you do always take the extra 30-45 seconds to put on your helmet.

Please be as safe as possible out there folks. A whole lot can happen in a split second!
jkv357 and TrippplePPP like this.

-dreaming of beautiful weather and empty roads....
post #8 of 20 Old 07-01-2018, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Wow... sorry to hear of your crash. Hope your surgery goes well and you have a successful recovery.

Your incident illustrates that even a relatively slow speed crash can result in very serious injuries. Also illustrates how grabbing a fist full of front brake while the handle bars are turned during a slow speed turning maneuver will snap the bike (and rider) over and onto the pavement in an instant. In fact even a slight application of front brake in that situation can have the same result. Doubtful that having an ABS equipped bike would have changed the outcome either.

Edit: I moved this thread to the Riding Tips forum, as it may help others to avoid this particular type of crash.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #9 of 20 Old 07-01-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Wow... sorry to hear of your crash. Hope your surgery goes well and you have a successful recovery.

Your incident illustrates that even a relatively slow speed crash can result in very serious injuries. Also illustrates how grabbing a fist full of front brake while the handle bars are turned during a slow speed turning maneuver will snap the bike (and rider) over and onto the pavement in an instant. In fact even a slight application of front brake in that situation can have the same result. Doubtful that having an ABS equipped bike would have changed the outcome either.

Edit: I moved this thread to the Riding Tips forum, as it may help others to avoid this particular type of crash.
Good point. It probably wouldn't have mattered.

If the wheel didn't lock, ABS wouldn't have helped. Just the quick, off-balance, stop would have been enough to make you go down.

I recently read something about crashing that made me think of this thread. The writer suggested trying to consciously land on your forearms and not wrists, which of course is hard to do, but something to keep in-mind if the event ever arises. One thing I always keep in the back of my mind is in the event of a car blocking my path, with an impact imminent, I try to remember to go up and over the vehicle if possible and not directly into the side.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-01-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Doubtful that having an ABS equipped bike would have changed the outcome either.
Depends on how he went down. If it was a locked up front tire then yes if it was just the brake momentum violently uprighting (is that even an English word?) the bike in the turn then no.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page