Long distance travel - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 93 Old 09-20-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibex250R View Post
And go for it, go touring you will have a blast! I did
Absolutely true. Just do it - and share the adventure with others.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 93 Old 09-21-2011, 12:48 AM

Long distance riding is more the rider then the bike. Long trips are easier on bikes more specifically designed for them but you can tour on a honda rukus if you had the right level of determination.
Overall I think the little 250 makes a great long distance bike and here's why

1. Its light weight and easy move around at low speed (meaning less fatigue)
2. Very gas efficient (even with luggage i was recording nearly 70mpg)
3. Its easy to work on
4. Tires, chain/sprocket, and oil replacement are all fairly cheap and easy to do with this bike.
5. If I can ride it from florida to the artic I think its safe to say it can be used for long distance touring. (trip report still pending i just got home lol)
post #13 of 93 Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Garage
Hey Owl, loooking forward to the trip report and some pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 93 Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 AM

Across the country on a 50cc Ruckus! Don't tell me you can't do it on a 250cc. I had a ruckus when they first came out. Its all I could talk the wife into at the time. Man was it fun for 50cc. Wan Lees Honda Ruckus - Together As Wan - Super Street Magazine
post #15 of 93 Old 11-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Smile Help

Quote:
check out my blog for my 2 cents on the topic. And go for it, go touring you will have a blast! I did
Hey where did you buy your saddlebags for your CBR250R? any website? I want something similar of what you have. Im planning a long trip very soon. Also, i wanted to ask What's that maximum hours that we can a ride CBR250r without damaging the bike.

Thanks in advanced.
post #16 of 93 Old 11-07-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
What's that maximum hours that we can a ride CBR250r without damaging the bike.
I think as long as you arent running it near redline for long periods the engine will hold up fine. My longest day was over 600 miles (most of it 65mph or slower) and now with a little over 16,000 miles the engine still seems to run fine.Its a hard engine to kill and I definitely put the bike through its paces with a combination of off road/high speed interstate/stop and go traffic.
In my experience this 250 is the modern version of a honda super cub 50. Just keep the oil fresh and the wheel pointed forward.

IMO you shouldn't really do more then 300miles a day if you want to stop and smell the roses so to speak. I think beyond that number and you are just making yourself miserable. I do intend to some day attempt an Iron butt SS1000 just to see if the little cbr could handle it.
post #17 of 93 Old 11-08-2011, 09:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisv View Post
Hey where did you buy your saddlebags for your CBR250R? any website? I want something similar of what you have.
Thanks in advanced.
I got them from the motorcycle superstore online.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 93 Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lucky_owl View Post

IMO you shouldn't really do more then 300miles a day if you want to stop and smell the roses so to speak. I think beyond that number and you are just making yourself miserable. .

I agree 300miles seems to be the sweet spot, anything more and you are aksing for trouble. The 250 requires constant mental and physical input, you can't just let it roll at highway speed and that's exhausting.

post #19 of 93 Old 11-08-2011, 02:00 PM
arn

Everybody has different ideas as to what constitutes "long". A lot also depends on whether you are intent on covering distance efficiently or smelling the roses.

If you are intent on riding above 110 kph, you'l find the wind blast an irritant after some time. A little extra cushioning would also go some way in making the seat comfortable over extended distances, especially if the road surface is not good - the rear of the stock seat seems to have less than 1/2" of foam....
post #20 of 93 Old 11-08-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I agree 300miles seems to be the sweet spot, anything more and you are aksing for trouble. The 250 requires constant mental and physical input, you can't just let it roll at highway speed and that's exhausting.
I tend to agree too. About 300 miles (500 kms) is a good amount of distance - for ANY bike - if you want to stop to take photos, see the sights, interact with locals, make time for lunch, rest and fuel stops, find and explore some kicka$$ things to add to your trip report, ensure you aren't riding in the dark, secure a choice spot, relax, and take a swim at a campground before all the campers pull off the road for the night. Much of the fun is getting there. It wouldn't be as much fun if I felt constantly compelled and singularly focused on merely getting to my destination. A friend recently did a tour and even though he had the best intentions to stop along the way, take photos, and enjoy the experience, I told him that because it was his first trip and he was a little nervous - that he would probably only stop for fuel - because he'd be too focused on the destination - and that he would later regret not embracing more of the experience. Well - that is what he ended up doing - and he later regretted not taking more photos and seizing the moment more. I bet things will be different on his next long trip.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to CBR250R For This Useful Post:
Thump (10-18-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page