Long distance travel - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 93 Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Banned

I've done a few 750km+ ride where the throttle has been pinned for most of it. (riding across Thailand) and the lil CBR laps it up effortlessly.

I've the touring screen which deflects wind over the body which helps, but bike could do it all day... and does.

With 22,000 km of relatively hard riding the lil CBR sounds and rides absolutely sweet. Smooth as anything and a perfect engine note. Perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 93 Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
I've done a few 750km+ ride where the throttle has been pinned for most of it (riding across Thailand) and the lil CBR laps it up effortlessly.
Ok.... each to their own, but what's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lucky_owl View Post
IMO you shouldn't really do more then 300miles a day if you want to stop and smell the roses so to speak. I think beyond that number and you are just making yourself miserable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibex250R View Post
I agree 300miles seems to be the sweet spot, anything more and you are aksing for trouble. The 250 requires constant mental and physical input, you can't just let it roll at highway speed and that's exhausting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR250R View Post
I tend to agree too. About 300 miles (500 kms) is a good amount of distance - for ANY bike - if you want to stop to take photos, see the sights, interact with locals, make time for lunch, rest and fuel stops, find and explore some kicka$$ things to add to your trip report, ensure you aren't riding in the dark, secure a choice spot, relax, and take a swim at a campground before all the campers pull off the road for the night.
Mike
These guys reflect my experience and feelings. I have done longer days, but have found 250 - 300 miles (400 - 500 km) is enough..... and wouldn't do that day after day. Once I get to where I want to go it is time to kick back, chill, explore, enjoy the concert or whatever. Maybe not ride at all some days, or shift camp just a few miles.

There is more to life than racking up miles. It is great to have a sweet ride, but in the end, for me at least, a motorcycle is the means, not the reason to go somewhere.

there are old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists,
but you seldom meet an old bold motorcyclist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 93 Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Banned

Ride until you want to stop.

Stop.

An easy concept.

post #24 of 93 Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 AM

my longest one day trip was 650 km, about half on major roads and half on country roads. It was the first day of a 4000 kms trip to Italy (Aoste Valley) and then the Alps tour and back to Belgium.
We fitted a higher windscreen and it was perfect
Just can't wait for the next trip to Corsica and Sardegna ;-))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7765.jpg (254.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg GTR CBR.jpg (83.4 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg Tournai Nov2011.jpg (116.5 KB, 175 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to wafwaf For This Useful Post:
DamianW (03-11-2013)
post #25 of 93 Old 11-10-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafwaf View Post
my longest one day trip was 650 km, about half on major roads and half on country roads. It was the first day of a 4000 kms trip to Italy (Aoste Valley) and then the Alps tour and back to Belgium.
We fitted a higher windscreen and it was perfect
Just can't wait for the next trip to Corsica and Sardegna ;-))
Wow, Wow, and more Wow. That first photo is absolutely stunning Wafwaf. Would love to snake my way up and down those roads through the Alps on my CBR250R.

Mike
post #26 of 93 Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Hi Mike, thanks for your coms! when winter really starts, and we most probably stop or at least slow down :-( , we will make up a diary of our trip, with dates, comments and pictures....... I will probably post a thread of it at the time.
some links:

Down from the Bonette pass
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xewaFYXmhSI

coming down from the Nivolet pass (sorry for the sound)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPh5U9hHYEI

In the meantime, here is the link to our informal friendly riders... and a way perhaps to discover tiny Belgium
Rando-Moto.be
post #27 of 93 Old 11-10-2011, 08:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR250R View Post
Wow, Wow, and more Wow. That first photo is absolutely stunning Wafwaf. Would love to snake my way up and down those roads through the Alps on my CBR250R.
+1 pure Moto-bliss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 93 Old 11-10-2011, 08:27 PM

I am jealous, Florida is too flat. Our mountains are garbage dumps. really...
post #29 of 93 Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 PM

I'm strongly considering doing a Saddle Sore (IronButtAssociation 1000mi in 24hr) ride sometime next spring (deer on the roads at night, fall and winter have longer nights obviously, spring gets the right amount of daylight and the lowest heat).

I have done several 300+ mile rides at one time and didn't notice any discomfort what-so-ever, and over half of that was at speeds over 75mph.
post #30 of 93 Old 11-10-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontgomery View Post
I'm strongly considering doing a Saddle Sore (IronButtAssociation 1000mi in 24hr) ride sometime next spring (deer on the roads at night, fall and winter have longer nights obviously, spring gets the right amount of daylight and the lowest heat).

I have done several 300+ mile rides at one time and didn't notice any discomfort what-so-ever, and over half of that was at speeds over 75mph.
I've got my cert and a 1000 is a WHOLE NOTHER BEAST than 300 It's a whole other beast than 750!

I'll give you some tips now. First hydrate, wear a camelback and use it. Route choice, plan on leaving in the early AM to finish in daylight if at all possible. You don't want to be running after dark after doing close to a 1000 miles. If you can, choose a route with as much interstate (higher speeds) as you can and avoid major cities and construction. Stops will make our break your attempt. Practice them before you attempt. Same thing for doing miles. You will have a VERY tough time if you try to go from 300 to 1000. Do 500 and see how you feel. Then 750. Any slight soreness or aggravation you notice at these distance will become MAJOR obstacles after 15+hrs in the seat.

Read, learn and practice the IBA's words of wisdom (it's a link on there page).

The trick, and believe me, it is a trick to doing big miles, is "sit there, twist that". If your not moving, you losing. Those 10 minute rest breaks every hour will do you in. Better to be the tortoise than the hare.

Don't be afraid to bail out! It's easy to say you will, but believe me, it takes real cajones to abort an attempt.

Their is no way in hell I'd try to do an SS1000 on the CBR. But if you pull it off. Beer is on me!

I'll be pulling for ya!

-Steve

IBA# 44620
2013 CRF250L, 2011 CBR250RA, 2004 FJR 1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page