Summer trips - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-30-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Summer trips

Getting ready for two big motorcycle trips. I hope I get a clear window on May 12th, 13th, or 14th for my 1,000 mile ride to Birmingham, AL for Mercedes training and a trip to the Barber motorcycle museum and then tent camping for a week on the way back to NY through the Smokey and Blue Ridge Mountains.
Barber Motorsports Museum: Home
I made a bigger windscreen for the CBR250R and after a couple trials for the final location, it works perfectly to provide the magic blow dryer effect where any rain instantly forms tiny beads and blows straight down off my face shield with never a need to wipe. It would be cool to register the iron Butt 1,000 at over 100 mpg but that would depend on warm weather. I have been getting only 95 so far this year with cold mornings and the heat on.
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...90023464_o.jpg
For my second trip in June I actually have a friend to camp with at Americade this year riding 1,800 km over from the North Shore of Lake Superior on his CBR125R. He writes the nice trip reports on ADVrider.
Bears, Lairs, Snares, and Other Scares. The 2014 CBR125R Gathering | Adventure Rider
We are meeting at Boldt Castle on Sunday and riding over through The NY High Peaks to Lake George on Monday for a fun week of riding motorcycle demos and hanging with other moto afficionados. It will be interesting to read what he writes this time.
CBR250R, efoo, Stichill and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-30-2016, 08:31 PM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 802 Posts
Garage
Sounds like a full summer for you. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it. This summer I have a couple trips planned as well. One with my daughter for a Mom/Daughter weekend in Banff and Lake Louise. We have a room booked with a private hot tub on a deck over looking the Rockies. Too exciting. The second is with my daughter and son-in-law. They own a toy hauler so we will be driving and riding the PCH for a week.

"WHAT'S NORMAL ANYWAYS" Forrest Gump

Honda cbr500r current ride
Honda cbr250r (Sumiko
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sold)
Honda cbf1000 (sold)
HD Sportster (sold the thing, hated it)
2007 Dyson Vacuum Cleaner (and no, it has not lost suction
)
post #3 of 11 Old 04-30-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Wow. PCH. I'm thinking of taking a month off next winter to ride out to California and back. I also have my usual trip to AMA Vintage Days in July.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-01-2016, 10:13 AM

Summer trips are awesome - great topic Sendler. You've got some good ones planned.

We may pass each other in the Southern Appalachians...I'll be riding with a group from Kentucky heading to an overnight in Maggie Valley, North Carolina and then on to a base cabin near Murphy, North Carolina May 19-21. We're going to do some cloverleaf trips out of Murphy, for example "The Gauntlet" in northern Georgia.

July 13-18 I'm taking my longest-ever road trip from here in northern Kentucky to Hamburg, New York for the BMW MOA national rally at the fairgrounds. We will overnight on the way there in a cabin in West Virginia and then camp at the rally. The plan for the return trip isn't yet ironed out.
don'tpanic and thefeev like this.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-02-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
For my second trip in June I actually have a friend to camp with at Americade this year riding 1,800 km over from the North Shore of Lake Superior on his CBR125R. He writes the nice trip reports on ADVrider.
Bears, Lairs, Snares, and Other Scares. The 2014 CBR125R Gathering | Adventure Rider
We are meeting at Boldt Castle on Sunday and riding over through The NY High Peaks to Lake George on Monday for a fun week of riding motorcycle demos and hanging with other moto afficionados. It will be interesting to read what he writes this time.
Hey....that's me! Looking forward to meeting you Sendler. I didn't do a trip report last year - so I guess I'm overdue. Should be a lot of interesting things to explore and write about, and of course - more gear to test. Really also looking forward to the solitude of riding on lonely roads and camping in the middle of endless Northern Ontario wilderness too. Few things are more exciting than putting the last bit of camping gear on the bike in the morning, and pressing the starter - wondering what a new day of riding will bring.
efoo and don'tpanic like this.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-02-2016, 09:27 PM

Sendler,
I know all you have to do is Google m/c campgrounds, but this is a great one in Western Virginia, right off the BRP:
Willville Motorcycle Campground
https://goo.gl/maps/yQA6DXomuX12

There is also the High Country m/c camp in NC, but it is WAY off the beaten path. No cell coverage, if that is important.
High Country Motorcycle Camp
36.155049, -81.454445 on Google Maps https://goo.gl/maps/RaVwYnzWyLk
Stichill likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-08-2016, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Here's the map for my upcoming Iron Butt 1,000.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Expr...33.5514827!3e0

post #8 of 11 Old 05-08-2016, 06:05 PM

Garage
There used to be some neat two lane roads in the coal measures around Cullman, Alabama, but I have no idea how things have changed in the 50 years since I rode there (pre-interstate).

Good luck with your trip.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #9 of 11 Old 06-14-2016, 08:48 PM

Sounds like a good plan. I also made a windshield for touring and was glad I did. As for an Iron Butt at 100mpg, that would make for a long day staying under 70mph to fit the 24-hour requirement (unless you have a streamliner...)
I did my Iron Butt from Yellowstone NP to Stillwater MN with about 1/3 highway and 2/3 interstate. It was about 17 hours with rest breaks, and every bit as comfortable as the IB I did on my VFR.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-17-2016, 02:34 AM

Garage
Freecampsites.net was an excellent resource for my trip around the states last summer

Also Sendler, Cali has some amazing places to explore on two wheels. There are awesome mountain, desert and ocean roads throughout the entire state. Let me know if you come this way and I can point you to some great places to ride; maybe even join you!

"Is that a bicycle attached to the back of your CBR? Brilliant!" -- markfourismore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page